Thread: Jolie Blonde (Joli Blon) looking for TABs.

Default Jolie Blonde (Joli Blon) looking for TABs.

Does anyone have, or know where I can find, the TABs for the old Cajun classic "Jolie Blonde"? Tried the usual places ,The Sessions, Fiddlers Companion, etc.
    Thanks in Advance
    Michael
    All the Best
    Michael

Blog Entries

Default Re: Jolie Blonde (Joli Blon) looking for TABs.

If you have TablEdit find a midi file and convert it to tab. You can also change the key once you get it into tab.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Jolie Blonde is one of the more straight forward, uncrooked Cajun tunes. Go on you tube and listen to any of them, even Waylon Jennings! You'll get it by ear with no problem. There are some one or two measure tags here and there, but they are quite band specific, and can be pretty much ignored in the learning process, at least until your band leader requires them.

I have a video of my band doing it, which I will locate the url and post it later.

Just go for it. I've done it in differing keys at differing times, but Cajun keys are D, G, C, A, and my remembrance of this tune is that we never did it in A. Usually in D, and only in C when in a C (tuned) accordion/fiddle set.

here are two links to my band doing Jolie Blonde. the first is full length, and although the audio not very good (recorded at a dance), you'll get the idea.
    the second is just brief, but a different venue (stage show).
    this is our dance band (electric/amplified) configuration. we also do a more traditional acoustic presentation (trio) when opportunity presents itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_ZLxn5ot78

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4fgR5GTC0M

me on telecaster.

there are many other good Jolie Blonde videos to see and hear. if I find a tab or notation I'll send it on to you, but for the most part, this music is usually learned by hearing it played.

Jolie Blonde is a I, V song (chord structure) - in this case D and A

and just to confuse you a bit more, here's a great Balfa brothers version which is a I, IV, V in G. Cajun music is quite variable from band to band, so you have to pick your preferred style/version and go with it. I have no idea why our version is the one it is, or who it came from, but I will ask the band leader, who selects and arranges our material. it's obviously not the Balfa version!

there are chords, notation, tab, and lyrics available - just google it. but it helps to hear and have a particular version in mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2LXF...eature=related
    Last edited by Jonathan Reinhardt; Apr-26-2012 at 10:45pm.

Thanks for all the tips! Just my luck the first Youtube video I featured Michael Doucet, Aly Bain and Ricky Skaggs! No Pressure there. I think I'm getting it!
    Thanks Again!
    All the Best
    Michael

you are welcome, what little help or hinderance I offered!

this definitely got me thinking, and researching, as most versions ARE more complicated than ours, which is a rather old country one. that M. Doucet version you are working with is point in case, being a modern, more evolved one. major talent, and a treat. however, the less known personages of Cajun music are more pleasing to my ear. (much like the way I appreciate the simpler/earlier forms of other genres.) Michael is truly one of the best of our era, but he has chosen to elevate his fiddle style to a place that few can match, and I find it somewhat distant from, and at the same time retaining, it's roots. very unique. but I prefer an older fiddle style in general. that being said, I never miss going to see/hear him when he's nearby.

here's one more version that caught my ear, Pee Wee Broussard and Lee Man Prejean. it has that old feel with a more modern approach.

by more modern, I am meaning the clearly defined 3 chord A part and the walk up 3 chord B part that you will hear in almost all versions. in the older version that we do (2 chord), the fiddle seems freer to improvise, especially on the B part. also rather than a walk up, it has a walk down, especially on the first line of the verse (Joli Blon) which drops onto the I chord, rather than go up to the IV. so there is that slight variation of the melody.

Broussard/Prejean Jolie Blonde:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=s2go21eYt60&feature=related

I hope you get it to your satisfaction, it's a real good tune.

I have never heard it played on Mandolin.
    I have the world in a jug, and the stopper in my hand.