Thread: Joe Carr - School of Mandolin: Bluegrass Soloing

Fetches news & information NewsFetcher's Avatar

Default Joe Carr - School of Mandolin: Bluegrass Soloing

The Mandolin Cafe has posted the following news release:
    Joe Carr - School of Mandolin: Bluegrass Soloing

Joe Carr has added another publication to Mel Bay's popular "School Of" series with School of Mandolin: Bluegrass Soloing book/CD Set, also available as an eBook.

---------------------------

NOTE: You may use your board membership to comment on news articles published by the Mandolin Cafe. Your comments will appear here and also will be appended to the end of the news article for public viewing. Standard board membership posting guidelines apply.
    Posts belonging to this account are created by a software task, not a human. Don't understand what that means? This information will explain how this post got here.

Default Re: Joe Carr - School of Mandolin: Bluegrass Soloing

I try to order it, it is not an eBook, at least yet.

Blog Entries

One of life's great mysteries... why do so many beginner books feel they have to include "Bile Them Cabbage Down"?

It would be nice to see a few less over-exposed tunes used occasionally.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Mel Bay wants to contact you about your ordering difficulty. What contact info can I give them? Joe
    joe carr

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carr View Post
    Mel Bay wants to contact you about your ordering difficulty. What contact info can I give them? Joe
    They have contacted me. Thanks.

I've come to the conclusion that the usefulness of a particular piece of instructional material really depends on where you are in your mandolin-playing journey and what you're looking for at the time.

If you're struggling with bridging that advanced beginner gap between hearing a simple vocal melody and working out an embellished instrumental break that matches up to that melody, then this latest book in Joe's School of Mandolin series is a great help. Beware, however, that like all really fine teaching material, this book has absolutely no entertainment value!

One suggestion is to get a copy of (free) Best Practice tempo-adjusting software (or comparable) and play the demo breaks at higher speed. Joe records all his demo materials at very slow tempo, which makes them very easy to follow but leaves them sounding overly simple. When I played them back at jam-session speeds, it seemed a lot easier to understand the underlying structure and choice of notes. I embellished one of the demos and played it at speed at a session the other night and it all worked out great. Can't ask for more than that, or so it seems to me.