Thread: Wayne Henderson finishing up a F5 Mandolin

Brentrup Evangelist Larry S Sherman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Wayne Henderson finishing up a F5 Mandolin

Great video...nice hat too

Larry

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Default Re: Wayne Henderson finishing up a F5 Mandolin

this is a great video that I meant to post yesterday. I really enjoyed watching this and can't want 'till he builds my guitar. O.K. I can wait - it's just been 7 years. . .

What a fine man!

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Thanks, Larry, that was fun.

I know Wayne a little bit, and have had the pleasure of owning one of his instruments. A unique, amazing man. I've never met anyone like him.

And man, I need one of those end-pins! Sweet looking and sounding mandolin.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

I'm glad they got a close up of the famous pocket knife that Wayne uses to "cut away everything that doesn't look like a mandolin".
    That mandolin sounds pretty good to be so green. It will only get better over the next few years!
    The guy playing the A style mandolin looks like the guy from 'Mandolin Orange", a good picker too.

Wayne finishes up most of his mandolins between the hours of 11 pm and 2 am.
    (ask me how I know. )

Hang in there fatt-dad. It's early!
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

What an incredible video! Leaves me wanting to see a whole lot more. Thanks for posting!!

I had the once-in-a-lifetime honor of spending three weeks with Wayne in a guitar building class at Augusta Heritage Arts in WV back in the 1980s. It was a great experience and one of my dreams. He is a great guy and a wonderful teacher. I still have the 000 size form from that class and one day I hope to build another guitar. I am just sorry i didn't build one immediately after that class so i could remember all the details and hints and tricks he taught us. There were only the three of us in the class. The other amazing part was that I got to play music and video games with him and just hang as well.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Larry - Thanks so much for posting that clip.It's awesome to watch a real craftsman at work. I could watch the whole building process from start to finish & enjoy every second. I did note that Wayne sanded his bridge from side to side in the way that i did when i fitted a CA bridge to a previously owned instrument.
    Those belt sanders can be pretty dangerous things. One touch of your knuckle on the belt & you're down to the bone. I got close to wetting myself when i saw him pick up that drill to drill the end pin hole - jeeeeez!!
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Great stuff.
    All music is folk music, I ain't never heard no horse sing a song - Louis Armstrong

Here are videos of an interview with Wayne. You get some sense of him as a person, his sense of humor and his background.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

You have to appreciate him using his bluejeans as a wipe cloth to get the hide glue off his finger tips while putting the fingerboard on. A true master craftsman from the true sense of the word. He has always been pretty spot on with getting a Loar type color and finish. I think over 50% of the mandolin was made with his pocket knife.

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    You have to appreciate him using his bluejeans as a wipe cloth to get the hide glue off his finger tips while putting the fingerboard on. A true master craftsman from the true sense of the word. He has always been pretty spot on with getting a Loar type color and finish. I think over 50% of the mandolin was made with his pocket knife.
    It looks like a bottle of Titebond to me, and it looks like he just sticks it on there with no clamps! I am sure the camera left out the clamping part.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

I gather that Wayne Henderson is not a fan of hot hide glue, like most luthier's of his stature? At least he once strongly recommended titebond to me for the dovetailed neck of a mandolin I was working on.

Great video, thanks for posting. Got to meet Wayne at Blue Ridge Old Time week. Fine person, wonderful musician.
    Cary Fagan

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    ..... I think over 50% of the mandolin was made with his pocket knife.
    well-l-l ......... the knife probably does SOMETHING to over 50%. (Scrapes, trims, fine tunes the shape, etc.)

Wayne says that the first guitar he made with D-45 abalone trim, he did entirely by cutting out the shell with the pocket knife and shaping and inlaying it! That's a lot of abalone and a lot of cutting. Fortunately, he was in no hurry!
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”