Thread: srpaying clear hi gloss lacquer on Danish oil finish ?

Default srpaying clear hi gloss lacquer on Danish oil finish ?

I am using Danish oil to "stain" my newly instrument build (an ukulele). I have been doing this for 4 to 5 days now (with less and less oil each day). The weather is pretty warm to hot, so it dries rather quickly.
    So far so good, the sides look very shiny, the back start getting shiny and the top too.
    Once the Danish oil finish reaches my desired result, I am thinking about spraying 6 to 10 very thin layers of clear lacquer (bought from Stewmac) all around.
    Is it OK to do this ? or lacquer should not be sprayed on Danish oil.
    If lacquer cannot be used, what should I use as the final finish/protection coat ?

Adrian Minarovic

Default Re: srpaying clear hi gloss lacquer on Danish oil finish ?

Did you use clear oil? If so I don't see point in covering it with lacquer. There is risk of crazing of the lacquer if it is applied over softer finish (also depends on thickness of layers). I'm not sure about compatibility, but if it linseed oil (or similar) based product with no special chemicals added you should be fine. But make sure to test on scrap wood anyway. I would suggest trying french polish (or few layers of sprayed shellac polished with french polish pad after last one is dry if you prefer spraying)... it will add thinner layer and is less likely crack over oil.
    Adrian

I myself would not recommend that practice unless you are sure the coats you have applied are DRY!!! If you decide to do the lacquer, seal the oil base coats before your top coats are sprayed on.
    Don
    http://www.donkawalek.com
    "The only thing achieved in life without effort is failure."
    Dum Vixi Tacui Mortua Dulce Cano

Maple Maker

The rule in the violin world is soft over hard is OK, but hard over soft results in crazing or cracking. So using a spirit varnish (alcohol based) over an oil varnish (linseed oil based) is a no no--unless you are trying to get a wrinkled effect.

Nitro lacquer is a hard finish. The type of oil you are using does not build on the wood typically, so there really is no "coating" going on there--or, not much. If you are sure the oil finish, which is in the pores of the wood, is fully dried, then I think you'd be OK to spray lacquer on top. You should use a vinyl sealer first to make sure it will adhere to the oil.

But it doesn't make a lot of sense to overcoat it with lacquer. If you have a nice clean finish with the oil, the french polish approach might give you the gloss you want, though it's a softer shine than buffed lacquer, and would likely be safe because it's a very thin coating. Danish oil with lacquer on top is just not a normal approach to instrument finishing. I have read opinions that any finish that penetrates the wood, as Danish oil does, is not good for tone. But I also know that some reputable and skilled violin makers have used Tung Oil to finish their fiddles. Tung oil is basically a natural version of the Danish oil you've used.
    Jack C.
    non illegitimati carborundum

Thanks for all the suggestions here. My instrument does look a quite shiny, but not high gloss, with just Danish oil right now. This morning, I use 1000 grit sandpaper and wet sand it the last time, then 30 mins later, wipe everything off with a soft cloth, then hang dry again.
    I will read about French polish and see if I can do this.
    This is my real first experience with oil finishing, my previous mando was all sprayed with nitrocellulose lacquer (pretty easy to apply)
    It's correct that Danish oil finish will influence the tone, but this is OK for an ukulele (which can be built with almost any kind of tonewood, not just spruce as with mandolins).

kkmm you need to let some of the ukulele builders know they can't use spruce for tops. It might not be traditional but there are some fairly high priced ukes with spruce tops.
    Bill Snyder

I'll go out on the limb and say I bet it will work. But the old rule of doing it on scrap first applys here.
    I wouldn't want to wipe on the oil and go straight to lacquer but I bet after a week or so it would be fine.

A lot of finishes marketed as an oil finish are actually either a oil-varnish blend (oil varnish with straight oil added to it) or a wiping varnish (usually a oil varnish thinned with mineral spirits or something to make it thinner and easier to wipe). You can tell which you have by letting a little bit dry over night on a piece of glass or plastic (something smooth and flat). If it has a wrinkled look after it dries it's likely a oil-varnish blend, and if it dries smooth and hard it's probably a wiping varnish. I would think that lacquer would do better over a wiping varnish than a blend.
    You can always spray a couple coats of shellac, and then lacquer over top. Blonde de-waxed shellac makes an excellent barrier between incompatible finishes.
    Ben Fleenor

kkmm you need to let some of the ukulele builders know they can't use spruce for tops
    Is this really true that ukulele cannot use spruce top ? is there a reason for this ?

You can always spray a couple coats of shellac, and then lacquer over top. Blonde de-waxed shellac makes an excellent barrier between incompatible finishes.
    It's really good for me to know this. I have seen shellac cans, read about it but never had my hands on it.
    To make my wife happy, I will practice on a small piece of furniture in the house first.
    For a newbee like me, finishing is a pretty confusing process as there are so many different ways to do it. I will keep practice one by one until I found the one I like the most (not necessary the fastest like nitrocellulose lacquer spray).
    Danish oil appears to be very easy to wipe on, it takes about 20 mins or so to start drying but still sticky to the touch. I had to wipe off with a clean cloth so it does not build up too thick. So far, about 2 coats and 4 re-coats with very little oil, (more like buffing) and still very smooth. I just want to make sure I do not screw it up doing the wrong thing.
    And thanks to all for the good advises.

kkmm, my apologies, I misread your post to say you could use several tonewoods for ukuleles just NOT spruce. My mistake.
    Bill Snyder

Bill,
    we do mis-read posted messages once in a while, not a big deal. I have done that many times too.