Thread: Gibson A50 with no stamp - age?

Default Gibson A50 with no stamp - age?

I recently acquired a Gibson A50 on eBay. I wanted to try to track down it's age, but can not find any numbers on or in it. I know there's supposed to be a stamped number on the back plate visible through the treble side F-hole, but no luck.

Is there any way to pin point the age of this old gibby?

(Nevermind that ugly metal plate on the heel, she's in the shop right now seeing about remedying that, as well as refitting the bridge)

Default Re: Gibson A50 with no stamp - age?

Also, what is that fingerboard made of? Rosewood?

I can't offer any info.re the age of the mandolin,there are plenty of others who might do that for you,but i was interested in the instrument itself.I'm not a huge fan of the 'paddle-head' style early mandolins,but yours looks positively edible !!. It's a beautiful colour & has a naturally distressed top through play wear. Ebony comes in various shades, from a sort of mid-brown to black.Some of the lighter Ebony looks a bit like Rosewood. Maybe only a very close look at the grain would tell you,unless somebody like F5loar or Big Joe Vest could chip in with info.on the various "A" style builds/materials used over the years.
    Please post a pic.'post plate' ,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

That they used a Decal should make it more recent.

dental inspection mirror, and look at the end block..

that plate patch on the back suggests it needs a neck reset.

got that kludge instead ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Just spoke with my luthier this morning, and he sent me some pictures of the neck/heel repair in progress. The plate was indeed keeping the neck in place, so the joint needed to be re-glued and reinforced. He decided a dowel would best do the job, along with a heel cap. Given that this mandolin did not have a button integrated into the back plate, this method did not introduce any compromises in terms of strength.

Here are the picture of the job in process. I hope I'm not violating some luthier code of honor by posting pictures of the work in progress. I'll post more once I get it back, assuming it will have a more finished look.

I didn't mean to steer this thread into the topic of the repair job. Still interested in anything folks can tell me about identifying / dating this mando.

Because the tuners (open back Klusons) appear original to me as well as the thin rim bushings and the back has that prewar looking maple flame to it, I can date it to late 1947 to early 1950. I'm leaning more towards 1948. A few did slip out without the FON or it's just so faded over the years nearly impossible to see. I take these hard to see ones into a dark closet with a really good flashlight and magnifiying glass to see if I can find a slight number. If it's covered in dust you need to blow that out of there first with an air hose. The fingerboard looks rosewood to me and that is what it should have. The tailpiece looks original for that era. The bridge is not original although the brass wheels do look right. Looks to be a Kay rosewood bridge to me so I would change that out to a good Gibson style rosewood or ebony bridge.

FWIW the tailpiece and the tuners are the same as on my 1949 A40N.

I posted this yesterday but some reason it didn`t go through...

I had an `50`s A-50 and it had the serial number stamped on it at the end of the perhead, I don`t know if the earlier models had that or not but I assume you would have seen it if it did have it there...