Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why do you play?

Blog Entries

Default Why do you play?

Why do you play traditional music? What joy do you get from it? What motivates you? I'd like to hear from anyone who plays trad, but especially those who started as adults. Thanks.

Default Re: Why do you play?

Peace. Joy. The music is timeless. The progressions, rhythms, and melodies have stayed in circulation cuz they feel good.
    A morning/evening with friends, maybe a beer or whiskey.
    1976 Ibanez 511
    Weber Bighorn 2-pointer, and Sweet Pea traveller
    1960's Kay tenor banjo restrung to Irish tenor
    Trinity College octave
    ... and trombones, but that's different

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

therapy and fellowship. It's quite an experience playing old-time fiddle tunes with a dozen or more folks too.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

It's in my blood. I can't help myself...

Okay, I'm with you fellas tburcham's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Usually for my supper, but from time to time we actually get paid...in tens of dollars (-;

Seriously, because it puts a smile on my face and the fellowship is wonderful!
    Tim Burcham
    Northfield Big Mon (Red Spruce/Red Maple)
    Gibson F-9 Custom
    1942 Strad-O-Lin
    1948-54 Gibson LG-3
    2011 Gibson J-45 True Vintage
    2017 Martin HD-28 VTS Custom Shop
    Bailey Mandolin Straps (NFI)
    Bell Arm-rests (NFI)

The sense of accomplishment when you have worked through a tune and it sounds good.....(to me) (and to piss off my wife)

Sandy

To see my enemies driven before me, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Because if I don't, I feel empty and depressed. How could I not play?
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

I do it because I have to. After discovering ITM/Celtic everything else pretty much became irrelevant. I envy all you cats that actually have someone to play this music with. It's a barren wasteland of traditional musicians where I live.

Stress relief.
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

We are here because we have a common problem...
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

I posted these lists a long time ago, but they are still valid for me:

Why I Play (not necessarily in any priority order)
    1. To simply enjoy playing music
    2. To play music I enjoy (not the same as #1)
    3. To enjoy fellowship with other musicians
    4. To occasionally play for audiences and when I do, to create a meaningful experience for them
    5. To generate internal feelings of accomplishment and personal satisfaction
    6. To celebrate and continue the true spirit of musical traditions I care about
    7. To be able to pass on the joy of playing to others, by helping them work on their playing when they ask for my help
    8. To communicate ideas and feelings I have that I cannot express adequately any other way
    9. To more actively be involved in my religious faith (church music)
    10. To keep my brain working as I grow older
    11. Because I can!

Not why I play (at least I hope it’s not)
    1. Not to make money (not that there’s anything wrong with that, it’s just not my thing)
    2. Not to be better than anyone else
    3. Not to sound like anyone else
    4. Not to impress other people
    5. Not as an excuse to buy the “hardware” (MAS)
    6. Not to preserve any dogmatic ideas of traditionalism in music

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Wins the prize for best answer
    Living’ in the Mitten

Blog Entries

Thanks. Keep the responses coming. I'm working on a blog post tentatively titled "The Joys of Learning Music As An Adult" or "Why I Play Traditional Music". Seeing other people's reasons for playing is helping me understand and articulate my own motivations. Cheers.

Fun, getting to meet neat people, challenges to learn and improve, love the sounds of the instruments, enjoyment, tension outlet....I could go on and on but I'm going to pick now.

Quote Originally Posted by Galimando View Post
    Interesting... wasn't Conan the Barbarian abducted as a child and forced to do hard labour until, as an adult, he picked up the sword to take revenge?

Well, I had to learn to play the violin and practice every day as a boy, until, as an adult I swore to never play music again. But then I saw this mandolin in a shop window...
    My old violin is hanging from the wall today, bridge and soundpost rolling around inside, one E-string holding the tailpiece, powerless to ever play again...

I need to.

Quote Originally Posted by sixwatergrog View Post
    Thanks. Keep the responses coming. I'm working on a blog post tentatively titled "The Joys of Learning Music As An Adult" or "Why I Play Traditional Music". Seeing other people's reasons for playing is helping me understand and articulate my own motivations. Cheers.
    It also might be nice if you would share your thoughts as well.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

In most cases and certainly in my case, seeds were planted in the fertile child's mind back when parents ruled. Today they grow and bud and flower in a linguistic expression that is pleasing to the ear. In some cases only pleasing to my ear. Yesterday afternoon I started playing a familiar melody, but not familiar enough to remember the words or the title, but enough to play a verse. I haven't heard this melody for years, but it is a sweet one. It just surfaced from the back of the hard drive and now it will bug me until the full memory comes forth. In the meantime I am having fun jazzing it up and down the fretboard.
    I have the world in a jug, and the stopper in my hand.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Galimando View Post
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

The reasons why I play are spattered all over this forum, in various threads and my blog postings.

But the reason may be that my Dad would not let me open his ukulele case unless he was around, and then only to look. And I would watch as he reverently took that Martin Concert uke out, and got a green felt pick, and that little pitch pipe, his movements as practiced as any ritual. There was magic happening, and I wanted in.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Japhy View Post
    I envy all you cats that actually have someone to play this music with. It's a barren wasteland of traditional musicians where I live.
    Are these of any help?

http://bluegrassbanjo.org/jams.html http://www.folkjam.org/local/map

The entire staff
    funny....

The natural high.
    Altman F5
    - Website
    - YouTube videos

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    It also might be nice if you would share your thoughts as well.
    Sure:
    I like the circular nature of the tunes; how they go round and round in a continuous curve that never ends.

I like the symmetry of the tunes – AABB. It’s all patterns and pattern recognition.

I like how it’s not a modern music. It’s timeless. The ultimate indie music; not trendy or popular. There’s no marketing behind it. It’s not a product of mass media.

I like how the tunes are purely musical, not verbal.

I like how tabbing out an arrangement from the “dots” on a page stimulates my brain like a book or crossword puzzle.

I like how it’s not a performance. I’m playing for myself; not for others. I don’t have to impress other people.

I like how with a little bit of practice you can quickly become a participant and contributor to your local scene, while at the same time you can always learn more.

I like how you get several opportunities to play this music with different people from all backgrounds and age groups. It’s an interesting and enjoyable scene to be part of.

I like how you learn a common repertoire that allows you to go anywhere in the world and sit in on a jam or session.

I like the inclusiveness of the traditional music community - ordinary folks, not just the gifted and flashy, can make music together.

I like the communal approach to creating sound. Everyone plays in unison.

I like how personality, friendliness and etiquette are just as important as musical competence.

I like how it’s not prone to hero-worship; beginners and mentors/experts often play side by side.

I like how you don’t have to sound like anyone else or compare your playing with professionals or any other player. You can do it your own way.

I like how the goal of most players is to simply be a competent amateur and not a professional, paid musician or entertainer.

I like how you also learn about musicology, history and folklore through your association traditional music.

I like how it increases you understanding and appreciation of music in general, even music you don’t play.

I like how it can be as non-intellectual or as intellectual as you want it to be.

I like how you learn through the medium of the tune rather than through scales and exercises.

I like how you experience the music organically via real life music making and not just through formal theory and practice.

I like how it’s a type of music you can play your whole life.

I like how it’s acoustic – no power needed when the coming apocalypse happens.

I like how it’s built-in entertainment and a creative outlet.

I like how the abundance of audio and transcriptions available online makes it easier than ever to get tunes and learn at your own pace.

25. The following members say thank you to sixwatergrog for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by sixwatergrog View Post
    Why do you play traditional music? What joy do you get from it? What motivates you? I'd like to hear from anyone who plays trad, but especially those who started as adults. Thanks.
    Why I started mandolin at 50? - I liked the sound, keep life fresh and exercise the few remaining brain cells.
    Why traditional music? - The sound of a jig makes my heart leap. (I guess my dad's Irish side beat out my mother's Indian side.) Overall contentment. Works well as a solitary activity given my somewhat isolated home and working hours. (With full appreciation for those who enjoy playing with others.)
    What joy do I get? Joy in its most basic form.
    What motivates me? Pure pleasure and a sense of peace.