Thread: Volume Five Bluegrass Band

Post Volume Five Bluegrass Band

This morning on Sirius satallite radio I heard a band called "Volume Five" and I was knocked for a loop at the sound of the best mandolin I have ever heard, bar none...I know a lot of electronic equipment is used during recording but this mandolin was just the greatest I have ever heard....I googled the band to try and find out just what he was playing, it did give the mandolin players name but not what his instrument was...

If anyone knows or can help me with this please post it here....I forget the pickers name off hand...

Willie

Default Re: Volume Five Bluegrass Band

Jesse Daniel is downright smooth. I've tried to take a lot from his playing
    Last edited by Austin Koerner; Apr-23-2012 at 2:16pm. Reason: Typo

Willie e-mailed me & told me about this band.I had a look at their site & according to what Jesse Daniel says,he plays a Daley 'Classic F style' Mandolin.There's a photo of Jesse on their site & the Mandolin that he's holding is most definitely not a Daley - so has the Daley departed & that's his new Mandolin,or................??. A great sounding band though, & i'll be digging into what's on offer. Thanks for the 'heads up' Willie,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I believe that on their web site there is an e mail address for Jesse himself so I`ll try and find that particular site and e mail him myself and see what he was playing on that recording, I just don`t know whan the recording was made or even what the song title was....If I listen to some of the u-tubes on the site maybe I`ll find the song....

Willie

Ivan and others....I e mailed Jesse and he said he was playing the Daley on all recordings and U-Tubes...He said on the recordings he was in on the final mix and he adjusted the tone to the way he liked it....As far as him not holding the Daly in any photos he didn`t say....Maybe a Daly isn`t the "Holy Grail" that i thought it was by listening to it on the radio.....

Willie

His Daley does play and sound good in person, that along with eq work I'm sure helps too. I haven't talked to Jesse in months but the last I knew he was still pleased with the Daley.
    "Can I have a little more talent in the monitors please?"

He did use to have a Silverangel and may still have it.
    "Can I have a little more talent in the monitors please?"

http://www.volumefivebg.com/photos.cfm# - I hope the link works.The Mandolin that Jesse's holding in the 'out & about' pics.has a very 'Monteleone' style scroll -what it is,i can't really tell from the pic.I have to agree that the Daley sounds as sweet & smooth as any Mandolin i've heard & that includes John Reischman's Loar,& for me that's good enough,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

The first two photos are a Silverangel. I think the strap was too thick and it does not go in the scroll deeply and that makes the scroll look longer than it actually is. In other words it is an optical illusion.

I saw and talked to Jesse about two weeks ago and he was still playing the Daley. I have spent a lot of time trying to figure out what exactly he is doing but it is not electronics. He is slick on that thing.

TEE, I agree with you about his playing....In some of those pix it looks like the name on the peghead only has a few letters so I believe it is the Daley....I tried to enlarge them but they only blurred more...

Willie