Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any suggestions for my Ireland trip?

Default Re: Any suggestions for my Ireland trip?

Quote Originally Posted by HighWall View Post
    The Small Bridge Pub in Dingle was, by far, the best trad music we encountered on a very similar trip a couple of years ago. Don't miss it. Other than that, if you see fellow travelers enjoying the same music as you, ask them where else they might suggest you go. We found it was pretty hit and miss, mostly miss.
    When in Dingle also try John Benny Moriaty's Pub music most nights, O'Flahertys Bar regular sessions, Tommy O'Sullivans Courthouse Bar and pick up a free copy of West Kerry live which lists sessions and gigs ( their website has listings as well) around Dingle. Try dropping in to The Dingle Record Shop all the local musicians cds are stocked there plus a bit of craic with Mazz the owner (some great podcasts on her website too)

Look out for Donagh Hennessy (ex Lunasa), Damien Mullane (New De Danann), Eoin Duignan, Pauline Scanlon, Aiofe Granville amongst others, all great musicians and singers.

A great drive out around the Slea Head Drive towards the Blasket Islands or take a drive over Conor Pass both spectacular. Enjoy Dingle a great place to stay, will be going over for 2 weeks in August ourselves.

One last thing...if you happen to have any time in Dublin, the Guinness "factory" tour is really worth taking. No mando or musical content, but Guinness is a case study in creative branding almost from the get-go in the 18th century. Very well handled.

Quote Originally Posted by HighWall View Post
    One last thing...if you happen to have any time in Dublin, the Guinness "factory" tour is really worth taking. No mando or musical content, but Guinness is a case study in creative branding almost from the get-go in the 18th century. Very well handled.
    And you'll have the freshest pint of Guinness in all the world atop the Storehouse in the Gravity Bar.

Considering that beer is a very enjoyable part of my life (I homebrew, am highly selective, and consider myself a malthead with a preference for ales, porters, and stouts), I had to make the decision not to plan to tour the Guinness brewery. Nothing against Dublin, but we chose not to tour that particular town on this trip but rather get out to the country and smaller towns. (Plus, my wife isn't a beer drinker nor a rabid ITM fan so I was trying to be considerate of her wishes.) Still looking forward to a Guinness at one or more pubs, though I anticipate experimenting.

Good decision. Stay out of Dublin - just another city... Ireland's charm is her villages and countryside...
    You'll find it hard to beat Mike Keyes suggestion of a base in Dingle. Lots of touristy things to do, great scenery and drives - Dingle Penninsula, Ring of Kerry, Killarney, West Cork, Ballybunion, Ballyheigue, and then great night-life (the ITM kind) in Dingle.

Blog Entries

As a Dub after 46 years on the planet I finally went and did the Guiness tour last year and was gob-smacked by how boring the Dublin skyline is when viewed from the bar up there. Off in the distance you've got the the Dublin mountains and the other direction there's the Naul. That's it, absolutely nothing else of note unless you count the nice haze of smog we've had installed. It made me realise that the charm in the place is the small stuff close to the ground, the buzz in the streets and our luuuvlee vernakkewleeaar.

Also by avoiding the over-priced pint at the top you can use the money saved to buy a small country or your very own irish politician or even something useful like a mandolin.
    Nah you're definitely right sticking to the western seaboard counties.

I think the best approach is to take it all as you find it and don't be afraid to ask.
    God we love being asked stuff.... just allow plenty of time for the answer, maybe bring your own stenographer to take notes.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

I had a weekend in Dublin recently to meet relations who were going to be there. Didn't really enjoy it.
    Every pub in the centre of the city seems to feel it has to put on Irish music and it's mostly of the 'Whisky in the jar' variety.

I much prefer the craic out West. Galway is a good city, or at least it was about 20 years ago.
    David A. Gordon

You'd hardly recognise Galway these days, nothing like it was back in the 80's .... must be getting old!
    I think Damien Mullane mentioned above is now ex Frankie Gavin's New De Dannan .... not to be confused with De Danann which has all original members of De Danann in it! Gettit? ..... er ...

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

In Dingle, the best is to pop into Mazz O'Flaherty's record shop as dodomonk said (next door to Dick Mac's pub which I've had many an excellent session in) and ask Mazz what's going on that day (while there's always something in O'Flaherty's Pub things can be fluid elsewhere). There's usually something on in Ballyferriter and the drive out via Slea Head and Dunquin with a view of the Blaskets is excellent.

Doolin isn't what it once was but there's usually music in McGann's and O'Connors. I used to prefer McGann's but haven't been to Doolin for a few years and things may have changed. Relatively near by, there's always good music in Ennis (check in Custy's as already mentioned above to see what's on) and probably in Milltown Malbay too (plus Ennistymon). Between Ennis/Doolin and Galway, you may find a session in Kinvarra (ask if John Colfer is still playing anywhere)

I've always managed to find a good session in Galway. The main music pubs are listed at http://www.galwaycitypubguide.com/tr...ic-galway.html but there are usually other good ones off the beaten track as well.

I've found a session or two in Kinsale in the past but you may have to ask round. Further along the West Cork coast you may find sessions at Clonakilty, Skibbereen, Ballydehob, Baltimore and Schull (best to ask locally in each case). Between West Cork and Dingle, it's very well worth travelling round the Beara Peninsula (one of my favourite drives in Ireland) and you may find a session at Glengarriff (I've had a few good nights there).

Have a great trip!

Back and loved it! Galway highlight was visiting Paul Doyle's shop, talking with him and others and playing a couple of his mandos. One student from my hometown of Philly. Doolin was great and hit all three pubs-2 for music. Connemera region was awesome and hit great pub in Clifdon. Cliffs of Moher were awesome and listened to a lovely harpist busking. Dingle was really nice and hit Benny's for music and Sheehy's Bar for tourist free, simple downtime to drink a few. Blarney Castle was fun. Kinsale was quaint village at awesome B&B-The Old Presbytery. Powerscourt Gardens outside Dublin was a huge fav for my wife. 1 hiccup- tire blowout near Doolin. Otherwise great trip with unusually great weather.