Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trampled by Turtles - a MUST see band

Default Trampled by Turtles - a MUST see band

anyone here ever heard of these guys? if you haven't, im sorry. if you have, excellent. they're a bluegrass quintet out of duluth, mn. they're timing is impeccable, they're endurance is god-like, their camaraderie sets a standard, and their music is beautifully intense. i highly, HIGHLY, suggest purchasing one of their albums if you havent heard of them... you won't regret it. their newest is Palomino, but they're all good. i saw them live in mankato, mn and i was about 5 feet away from the mandolinist. and the very first thing i did when i got back home was bought ordered a mandolin. they're all cool guys too. their mandolinist was nice enough to accept my friend request on facebook and answer some questions of mine.

here are some videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX2lHlHoXCw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IETFQgxevNs

and their two official music videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xjdkc14-zwQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT8gaiNVqOM

i now apologize for getting you hooked. haha, no i dont

Default Re: Trampled by Turtles - a MUST see band

Quote Originally Posted by j dik View Post
    i now apologize for getting you hooked. haha, no i dont
    No need to apologize, you didn't get me hooked, don't care for flatpicked banjo, among other things about the band.

I've seen 'em. Each to their own I suppose. I'm just not a fan of jamgrass. Everything they played was sort've an identical blur of speed and similar sounding extended solos. In terms of being a tight band, I actually thought the opposite, but then again, that's not really a crucial aspect to their sound IMO. It was interesting to note that the mando guy's style seemed very speed metal-ish at times, with heavy use of extended passages of single string tremolo up and down the neck. The crowd of young hippie and frat dudes actually was doing a lot of non-ironic headbanging to the band. Not my cup of tea, but then again, I'm a fan of Monroe style stuff which doesn't seem to be too en vogue these days, especially among younger bands. I'll admit their endurance was impressive, but I was pushed far past mine and kept hoping each song would be their last. Again, to each their own. If they're nice guys who are doing it from the heart, I wish them all the best and if the OP found some music that thrilled him then that's terrific, but for me, I'll take more traditional acts over these guys any day of the week and twice on sunday.

care to elaborate on what you don't like about the band? ive seen far more positive comments about them than negative, so i'm just curious.

and alex, that was a great post. thanks for the comment.

They definitely got spunk......I'll give 'em that! That boys gonna wear a hole in his mandolin........needs a pick guard!

Quote Originally Posted by j dik View Post
    care to elaborate on what you don't like about the band? ive seen far more positive comments about them than negative, so i'm just curious.

and alex, that was a great post. thanks for the comment.
    You may be interested in the discussion in this forum about Chris Pandolfi's blog post, since it sort've gets into the weird world of what is "correct" bluegrass and touches on the sub-genre of jamgrass. Personally, even though I prefer the older, traditional styles, I'm glad to see bands like Trampled by Turtles doing something with the style that expands the audience and awareness of bluegrass and acoustic and traditional music in general.

They certainly have a large, devoted following and that is a good thing. I heard the term Thrashgrass in conjunction with their specific style. It seems to be a hallmark of the wider Newgrass genre of bands to each have a specific niche.
    I saw Homer & Jethro once. This mandolin therapy isn't helping me get over it.

'04 Andersen A (for keeps)
    Amateur Gibson F copy (for travel)
    Santa Rosa student model A (for the neighbor kids)

Trampled by Turtles is my favorite band, hands down. They are what got me playing mando and into bluegrass as well (though they are not a bluegrass band and I can't believe you haven't been jumped on yet on this forum for calling them one). The songwriting is top notch and that's what really hooked me, and just how fun they are to see. I can't wait to see them at Delfest and Telluride this summer, but for me Delfest has a much better lineup (instead of sarah mcclachlin, robert plant, and the decembrists you have Del McCoury, Del McCoury and Del McCoury headlining). Glad to see Trampled getting more acceptance from some actual bluegrassers (Del has had some really nice things to say about them lately). Can't wait to see them in about 9 days!
    the sun's gonna shine in my back door someday

Flatpicked banjo? That's a new one! I guess if Tut can flatpick a dobro, why not a 5 string? I liked their song Victory. Some of the other stuff........a little out there for me.

I think the video for Victory is incredible, but the video ... not the music. I like Traditional Bluegrass so their music has no appeal to me. As for the flatpicked banjo, it doesn't bother me because I like Clawhammer as well as Scruggs style. I don't think the lead singer can sing, and he's flat on the live videos. You asked ...

Since they're local I've seen them several times at festivals etc. and always enjoyed the performance but I don't have any CD's by them. They sure do have a following with the young crowd around here. (Minnesota)

If you like Trampled by Turtles another band you may enjoy is "Pert Near Sandstone".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyy4PY6-j9s
    Bill James
    www.axinc.net

Yeah, not my thing, but glad they are somebody's. And they are using the right instruments.

Where's Willie when you need him?

I actually was trampled by turtles once.

It took forever.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

[QUOTE=sgarrity;928362]Flatpicked banjo? That's a new one! QUOTE]

Not at all. My late friend Gord Milne played flatpicked banjo for years and he's not the only one I've seen do it.

good to hear some differing opinions (though im still waiting to hear from Mike Bunting). and i do have a feeling if those who said they're not a fan were to see them live, they'd think a little differently.

I actually saw them once, almost? There were two bands that night; Steppin' In It and Trampled by Turtles. Steppin' In It was very good and I actually left about two songs into the Trampled by Turtles set. Not really my style of music? Of course, I feel similar about the Yonder Mountain String Band? Just my opinion?
    Thanks for your support?

Man I love these cats and look forward to seeing them (along with a host of great traditional and newgrass bands) at the ROMP Music Festival held in my hometown of Owensboro, Kentucky at the end of June.

I think they all are good pickers. I think the banjo player is exceptional.

Now, there's no question that their "hallmark" are the hyper-frenetic pieces like "Wait So Long" (my 7 year old's favorite song on the planet) but they do a lot of stuff well.

I think "Codiene" is a hauntingly beautiful song.

Can't wait to see 'em. By the way; the Mando player, Erik Berry, picks a Parsons mandolin. Don't know much about these except what I read on the website.

They appear to start at about $3,000 and go up. Do you ever see posts here from anybody that is currently playing one?

I have seen Trampled by Turtles once. I had issues with the venue that were blocking my receptiveness. Suffice it to say that I would far, far rather hear my music than see it in a sardine can with no place to sit, no place to move, no realistic chance to get one drink, and no readmission if you should step out. It was a rock club venue at full capacity for a twin bill of grass-like bands. The music sound level had to be high because the crowd sound level was just as high. A commercial success for both bands.

There was no room for texture, color or nuance there, so all I could tell was that TXT competently strums really hard (and the banjo player is fast). Don't feel bad, the other band was my all-time favorite that I know has great musical skill and I was disappointed in their performance too. I can see where a band could get a little too one dimensional targeting that kind of venue. I would give TXT another chance at a club that billed itself as a listening venue with the right to ask you to leave if you wanted to ignore the band.
    I saw Homer & Jethro once. This mandolin therapy isn't helping me get over it.

'04 Andersen A (for keeps)
    Amateur Gibson F copy (for travel)
    Santa Rosa student model A (for the neighbor kids)

I've seen them a couple of times live. I will echo some of the other's comments about pitch, frenetic strumming,and lack of nuance. I will not be attending future sets of theirs. But glad to see them giving more exposure to traditional instruments.
    Best,
    Max
    I laid the tracks, never rode the train.

Highly Lonesome Marty Henrickson's Avatar

I am glad that bands like this exist, and I am open to some genre-bending, but I'm not crazy about what I saw of T by T on youtube. There was one live video of "Devil and the Blue Sky" taken at some type of street fest in Boise, ID that was just bizarre. People standing RIGHT IN FRONT of the stage chatting incessantly during a song. I would have been irate if I had paid for a ticket!
    Gibson Jam Master A-Standard #56
    Martin D-28 Clarence White #103
    Gallagher Doc Watson

www.instacanv.as/martyhenrickson

I got turned on to trampled by turtles a couple of months ago, so I kinda checked them out. The members of the band actually came from other genres before they got together and went acoustic, which kind of explains their style (to me). That having been said, I don't consider them bluegrass, just acoustic. Yesterday I bought the Palomino CD and have to say I like them. I don't think they're trying to be bluegrass, but using the instruments they picked up to get to where they want to be musically, which I can respect. If you think about it, Monroe did the same thing: wanted to be a fiddle player, got stuck with the mandolin, and made it work.
    If I had known how much easier it is to carry the mandolin around instead of a strat and a half-stack, I'd have been playing mandolin this whole time.

Kentucky km-171
    Kentucky km-160
    Kentucky km-505(finally!)

San Antonio, Texas and Steamboat Springs, Colorado

I saw Trampled by Turtles for the first time at Old Settler's Fest in Austin in April. They were a lot of fun! I'm also looking forward to seeing them again at ROMP (along with the Punch Brothers, Carolina Chocolate Drops, Steep Canyon Rangers, Infamous Stringdusters, Emmylou Harris, Sarah Jarosz, and more -- the lineup for that fest is just nuts).
    2005 Collings MT #1045
    2011 Fletcher Brock OM #130

just caught these guys for the first time, though i've enjoyed their music for a few years. they put on a great show! it's not trad blue grass, but it's still great to see that an acoustic band can go out and get a good following these days. And if bands like this are inspiring young people to play these instruments, they're keeping the classics alive as well. Because I guarantee anyone who picks up a banjo because they liked Trampled by Turtles or that Little Lion Man band is going to discover Earl Scruggs at some point.

i got to meet their mandolinist, Erik Berry, after the show - he's a really nice guy and had some interesting insight into the mandolin. just real down to earth honest guy. And he's a big fan of Monroe and McReynolds and the other forefathers. We actually had a nice discussion about traditional grass and he knows his stuff! I hear a lot of that in what he plays as well - especially Monroe.

And yeah flatpicked banjo - I actually brought that up with him and he said to just listen to what this guy's doing with it. And he's right - I had no idea it was flatpicked until I saw them live, so what difference does it make? They're a fun band and they put on a good show.

Part of a great week for me - I get to see Chris Thile and the Punch Bros this Tuesday. have a feeling I'll either be playing a lot of mandolin the rest of this week, or never again

I love those guys, although I probably wouldn't call it bluegrass any more than I'd call Punch Bros. bluegrass– but so what? Plenty of good bluegrass bands out there already. Great songwriting, and I'm happy so see any banjo or mandolin in listenable music. I'll sure take them over Mumford and Sons any day.

From Shaun - "I liked their song 'Victory'.......". Levitation,telekinesis AND music !!,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.