Thread: Picking vs Strumming

Default Picking vs Strumming

Hi guys. I had a question I'm hoping that you guys can help me with.I was recently reading an article about pick stiffness where the author said that thicker picks work better because with mandolin, you want to pick both strings in a given course as one. This got me thinking, I know when I strum the mandolin I'm picking each course together as one, but when I play individual notes, I don't think I am. If I'm playing two or three notes on the same course, it seems that my downstroke plays the string closest to me, and on the upstroke, I play the furthere string. Is this correct? I was really trying to focus on making each stroke play both strings last night, and the only way I could do it consistantly is to use a rest stroke each time.This is obviously a question coming from a relitively new mandolin player, so excuse me if it sounds stupid.

Default Re: Picking vs Strumming

I would guess you are picking both strings in a pair, even if you think you're not. The test: de-tune one of the pair, then pick it the way you normally do. You'll hear the discordant sound.

There was some recent discussion on this:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...or-two-strings

I'd guess most players play through the course as if it were a single string and do not worry about how many strings were struck. Depending on your pick angle, attack speed, pressure, and such, you may or may not pluck the second string in line, like you have noticed. As a relatively new mando player, I wouldn't sweat the issue of how many strings are being struck for each and every stroke. In other words, the goal of good technique is not to strike both strings per se, but rather produce the music you want to play with fluidity, tone, rhythm, etc.

Cheers
    MRT
    Altman F5
    - Website
    - YouTube videos

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Even if you think you haven't actually struck both strings, you probably have; perhaps not with equal force, but still ... And even if you haven't, the other string will vibrate due to sympathetic vibration. If you do as Alan suggested, you will hear that discord, and probably one or the other string more prominently depending on whether you have used a downstroke or upstroke. In any event, when a string goes out of tune while you are playing, you will hear it right away, regardless of the direction your pick is moving!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Thanks for the replies. I thought I might be overthinking it, but just wanted to make sure I wasn't devoloping bad habits. Like I said, when I use a rest stroke, I can definitely tell that I am striking both strings with pretty close to equal force, but using a rest stroke all of the time doesn't seem very practical. Thanks again.

The man at my local music store gave me a felt pick that was at least 1cm thick. I used it once and got sick of it. Using that pick I was most certainly hitting 2 strings at a time or even more sometimes...

It is quite possible to pick one string at a time and a few players do this intentionally.... But the mandolin was designed to play both at the same time. As suggested detune one string (the second of the pair) slightly and you will be able to hear your picking better, for technical reasons. I am assuming you are playing all downstrokes as you normally would in strumming. If you decide it is a problem, it most likely is. But if you do a lot of single string (pairs) plucking using both up strokes and down strokes you will likely self-correct the problem. I wouldn't worry much about speed at this time. Just getting good clean notes on both strings of the pair. In a few weeks it will come naturally and you won't have to worry about it anymore. Once you sestablish the double string up and down stroke you will wonder how you managed not to play both strings.

Practice both downstroke and down-up stroke on single string (pair). Normally downstroke for emphasis and down-up to carry normal melody. You should be able to do both comfortably when playing single sting.
    Bart McNeil

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    The test: de-tune one of the pair, then pick it the way you normally do. You'll hear the discordant sound.
    There it is.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

From AlanN - " You'll hear the discordant sound ". So BOTH strings in a pair need to be the same note ?. Ahhhhh !,so that's where i've been going wrong. So my Gd/Ga/Ge/Gg tuning isn't right then ?. I was wondering why everything i played sounded the same. Mind you folks have been saying that about my Banjo playing for close to 50 years - no change there then,
    Ivan
    PS - A good answer Alan.
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Blog Entries

Practice with your right hand alone. Use a metronome. Do it slow enough, to start, that you can feel the pick move across the strings. Training your hand independently let's you absorb the sound and tactile feedback.