Thread: Romeo & Juliet

Default Romeo & Juliet

Hi all

Another sheet music related question. Does anyone know where I can buy the score / mandolin parts for Prokofiev Romeo & Juliet. Again my googling skills fail me!

Thanks

Viv

Blog Entries
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Default Re: Romeo & Juliet

No, the piano reduction is no good. The full score is one of a handful of major classical works with mandolin parts. Two of them, to be precise.

The question came up a year ago:
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...meo-and-Juliet

There's this, but the links don't actually work:
    http://imslp.org/wiki/Romeo_and_Juli...iev,_Sergey%29
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Ah, here you go. This might be what you are looking for.

http://www.filestube.com/5QI7H20vzCO...984-Scans.html

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

A little peripheral, Martin, but which two are those that you consider to be "major classical works" with mandolin parts. I don't intend any affront, but personally would count many, many more.

I meant there are two mandolin parts in the Prokofiev.

Ah, silly me. Carry on.

Hi Viv,

I did this with Ali at Dartington one year and have the parts she gave us. They are No. 48 Aubade (act 3) M1&2 and M3&4. Plus No. 25 (Dance with Mandolins) with parts for M1 and M2. Let me know if those are what you are looking for.
    jacky

Thanks everyone.

Jacky those would be great if you have them! Thanks again.

Viv

Hello

send me a pm with your email-adress. I'm playing the parts in Basle and Zurich Opera House. I rewrote the original parts new for personal use. Remember: the music is not free, so not possible to buy as sheet music. Prokofjews writing of No. 25 (Dance with Mandolins) is very uncomfortable to read - it is not possible to play all the double steps with only 2 mandolins. We are 6 Mandolin players in Zurich!

roady43

Quote Originally Posted by Viv W View Post
    Hi all

Another sheet music related question. Does anyone know where I can buy the score / mandolin parts for Prokofiev Romeo & Juliet. Again my googling skills fail me!

Thanks

Viv
    Hi, have you tried http://www.chappellofbondstreet.co.uk and http://www.dsmusic.com? They normally have a good selection and if its not online you can call either of them and they will find it for you... Hope this helps! Jonathan Lloyd

If you want to hear it in a different context, Emanuil Sheynkman does it on the "Art of the Mandolin" LP. It's called 'Morning Serenade' on the record.

It's just with a Guitar and bit of Bell Set percussion backing him up. It's a charmer.

In fact the whole record is great. Other Russian composers are featured Stravinsky & Shostakovich. I've got it on vinyl, don't know about CD availability.

Sorry for the sidetrack, but: Wow, that's a name I don't see come up often. I have his album Russian Folk Instruments: Mandolin where his name is anglicized as "Emmanuil Sheinkman." There is some nice playing on that album, but I admit that I find his take on some of the Italian repertoire (Marucelli's Valzer Fantastico, e.g., presented as "Concert Waltz")--kind of an idealized, suburbanized slavic gypsy take--a little off-putting at times. I'd be very keen to hear his take on Prokofiev et al.

Pardon the cache inspired double post.

Thanks for your help, pm'd with my email

Thanks everyone, I'm getting there! Thanks for LP tip.

I had the joy of performing this piece in May with the Austin Symphony Orchestra for Ballet Austin's production of Romeo and Juliet. I had a few thoughts to share about it.

First all the entire original score is available for free previewing at Schirmer's Scores on Demand.
    http://digital.schirmer.com

No. 48: Aubade - Performing it with full orchestration is pretty wild. Two mandolins start, then in comes the whole orchestra with horns blaring. Our mandolins were miked, so it was fun to be playing louder than horns in a concert hall! The two mandolin parts here stand alone as a pretty decent little mandolin duet as well. The M1 part has some very high notes (19th fret, B), but that part can be brought down an octave and still work nicely.

No. 25: Dance with Mandolins - As roady43 points out, it is not possible to play what Prokofiev scored for this piece with 2 mandolins. There are two staves for mandolin in the original score, but all the notes are not physically possible at the same time. So it's not clear to me if Prokofiev intended 4 mandolins playing divisi or if this was an error that was never edited out. Today the standard call is 2 mandolins. I was working from the original score which is not adviseable. Make sure that you have functional instrument parts rather for this rather than trying to read from the original score. I ended up making my own parts. However, since I have seen at least one published version of reasonable M1 and M2 parts (from MCA Music rental dept.).

This is written in 6/8 with the tempo marking of Vivace. That ended up being much too fast for dancers. I think we did it somewhere south of 120bpm. Also, I recall that, to me, the accents for the mandolins were on beats 1, 3, 5 - which makes it feel more like a slow 3/4. Since for our performance it was conducted in '2', I had to rethink how I was counting it. The horns are accenting on 1 and 4 so there is a nice 3 on 2 thing happening between the mandolins and the orchestra. In my personal opinion, playing just the mandolin parts on #25 is not really a totally satisfying experience. If I were rearranging it for a smaller group, I'd recommend incorporating some of the other parts into a continuo of some sort to round it out.

At any rate, I'm glad to have these two pieces in my bag of tricks and would be happy to correspond with anyone is working on them.

http://www.joelhobbs.com
    http://www.amandolinorchestra.com