Thread: Swannanoa Gathering Mando week

Default Swannanoa Gathering Mando week

Anyone going?

I am so geeked up! I just checked the schedule and see that Caterina Lichtenberg will be teaching two classical mandolin classes (of course, there are other AMAZING mando instructors there too...but this is the Classical Forum ).

I've never been to this workshop / camp before...but I don't think I can pass up the chance to meet and work with Caterina.

Is anyone else going? Anyone ever been to it before?
    KristinEliza

Facebook

Default Re: Swannanoa Gathering Mando week

A bit out of my way, I'm afraid...

Can I, however, charge you with nagging Caterina on my behalf? I am too gentle a soul to badger her about my Rondo Galante, which I wrote for her and Mike Marshall a while ago upon their request, and which is still "under wraps", in their hands alone, unperformed as of yet...

Just kidding, of course. You ought to go there to enjoy yourself, not be my envoy. (I just so happened to be going through my catalog, seeing what pieces have expired premiere rights, yet no premieres.)

Have fun! And do report upon your return; the likes of me enjoy vicariously what we cannot enjoy in person.

Cheers,

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

I was there for Old Time Week some years ago. It's a great venue with all types of music and dance and friendly people. And you're not too far from Ashville. The town is a treat in itself - especially if they're having the Friday evening jam/dance session in the middle of town. At Swannanoa I tried to sit in (sans mando) at a mandolin teaching session with Mike Seeger as the instructor. Mike wasn't having any of this 'auditing' business'. 'If you don't have an instrument, what can you learn?' says Mike.. I recommend it, you'll have a great time.

J

Blog Entries

Have fun. I bet those classes will fire you up! Inspiring.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Blog Entries

I have been to Swannanoa OT week a number of times. It made a great difference to my playing.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I know a couple of the teachers who do the Irish week -- from all I've heard, it's an amazing time whenever you go.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Blog Entries

The most important part is not the teachers, though they are by and large great, and not the jams, though they are wonderful, and not all the folks you will befriend, though thats great too. Its that you have a whole week, every day dawn to dusk and beyond, with nothing at all to do but play music. Food is provided, room is provided. Your schedule looks like this:

Eat
    Play
    Play
    Play
    Eat
    Play
    Play
    Play
    Eat
    Play
    Play
    Play
    Sleep

It is so very wonderful to wake up every morning, with nothing more important to do than tune your instrument.

Truly, whether its Swannanoa, or any other week long music camp, everyone should go to one and experience the glorious indulgence. Turn off the cell phone, don't let the world email you, page you, text you, interrupt you with their so called priority messages. Just fall back into the arms of the music for a week. You will come out a changed person.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

After coming back from Kaufman Kamp (and getting caught up on my sleep for the past two days)...I have registered for Mando/Banjo Week! Really excited. Choro with Mike Marshall...Classical with Caterina...Irish with Marla Fibish. I'm really looking forward to it! Maybe I can ask Radim a few questions too since I had to leave his class early last week due to lack of sleep and the oven that was his classroom! I didn't want to fall asleep in his class...how rude!
    KristinEliza

Facebook

Well...it's here...heading out tomorrow morning! Excited to say the least! New strings on the 'dola and the 'F', new bridge and nut on the Calace.

Woohoo!
    KristinEliza

Facebook

10. The following members say thank you to KristinEliza for this post:

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

Enjoy yourself, Kristin!
    I'll have to try one of these mando camps sometime; they sound like great fun.
    I like the eating playing eating playing schedule, Jeff! A whole week with no cell phone or computer and only a mando to occupy my time? Sign me up!
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas

Checking in. Having a fabulous time in my classes! Getting lots of music to work on. Mike and Caterina's personalities match their talent...fabulous! I'm forcing myself to learn by ear in Marla's class...as well as using correct pick direction in my jigs.

Man...maybe it was a mistake taking both classical and Irish! In the morning I'm playing DDU DDU DDU and then in the afternoon I have to play DUD DUD DUD! Ah...it's good for me!
    KristinEliza

Facebook