Thread: 'soft' pick ...

Default 'soft' pick ...

Is there such a thing as a soft pick? A truly soft pick perhaps made of felt or softer rubber?

The reason being that I have a 3-11 shift (your 9-5), 5 days a week--thu thru mon. I have altered the usual human schedule to getting home just after 11 PM (your 5 PM), dining at 1 AM (your 7 PM) and going to bed at 5 AM (your 11 PM). I've been doing this for over six years so I'm quite used to it and my body clock responds just fine. I get up for work at 1 PM for my three o'clock shift. I'm not a 'morning' person (1PM?) so it takes a few cups of coffee for me to get my act together.

I live in an apartment, luckily an end unit, so I have to be careful of practice sessions being too loud from 2 am to 5 am (your 8-11PM). I don't really want to stuff my mandolin, very near future tenor purchase and far future bowlback mandola with socks or towels.

I have a practice mute, not performance mute, for my Baroque viola but haven't found such an item for the four-stringed plucked string instruments. I've entertained the purchase of only electric instruments and just playing thru a pre-amp to headphones but I truly love the acoustic, realistic sound of the 'real' thing.

Any ideas?

germano
    _____
    Last edited by germano; Apr-13-2012 at 4:25am. Reason: wrong time listed/wrong article
    Television is very educational. Every time someone turns it on I go to another room and read a book. .....Groucho Marx

Default Re: 'soft' pick ...

There are felt picks, I've seen them used for ukuleles. I recently got a bunch of assorted picks that included a "Wedgie", made of thick, soft rubber.

Having tried both, however, I'd have to say that nothing beats the thumb and fingers for volume control, especially if you have trimmed nails.

I'd have never thought to look to the ukulele for an answer. Thanks a bunch, guys.

germano
    _____