Thread: Upgrade path

Took me a while to figure out what MAS was; now I have it :\
    I'm looking to upgrade from my current "best" Kentucky mando to one that sounds better. I had no concept of prices and figured I could get a good mando for a relatively inexpensive investment, duh...Anyway, what's the advice here on what would be a good step up for my next mando? I'm figuring 1200-2500 bucks as the amount I would like to keep this to. Any suggestions? Should I buy new or shop around and look for a "better" make/model that some poor soul might be looking to unload? I've browsed a lot of the manufacturers from here and there are many that are certainly pleasing to the eye but without hearing any of them I have no way to judge other than by the "looks".

Blog Entries

For that price range you can get a wonderful A style from any number of makers. You could order one from a luthier, you could buy one new, or you could buy one used.

If you want an F style, you're going to get a LOT less bang for the buck, but there are worthy instruments out there. Pay attention to Czech builders and look for their instruments used. It'll take some patience and some work, but you can find a good one.

My advice is don't fall for "scroll fever." Buy the best mandolin you can afford and the one that sounds best to you regardless of its general shape.

Best,
    Daniel

In the 1500.00 to 2500.00 price range there are a number of small builders that will build you great A or F style.You will have to be patient ,but your own custom built is well worth it. I have my favorite, Driftwood but there are several other great builders that work in this price range.
    # # # # # # # # B.Pat

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

Here's a vote for Old Wave Mandolins by Bill Bussmann. For about $1,850.00, you'll get a teriffic A style mandolin. I had mine for two weeks and took it to an Eastman get together in DC. It got great reviews by not only players but another builder. I just heard today that one of the DC attendees is in the process of ordering one now.

I just made an order-of-magnitude jump from my used Rover to a new Breedlove KF Quartz. Unless you're a traditionalist, I think it would be hard to beat this American made cannon. I got mine, with bag, for just under $1k. This will keep my MAS in remission for quite a while, unless I happen upon a great deal on an oval-hole sometime in the next few years.

You can get their A style for under $800 and have a great sounding, playing instrument.

TeleMark
    __
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity
    -- Hanlon's Razor

Prescott, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by
    DNestler Posted

For that price range you can get a wonderful A style from any number of makers. # You could order one from a luthier, you could buy one new, or you could buy one used.

If you want an F style, you're going to get a LOT less bang for the buck, but there are worthy instruments out there. #Pay attention to Czech builders and look for their instruments used. #It'll take some patience and some work, but you can find a good one.

My advice is don't fall for "scroll fever." #Buy the best mandolin you can afford and the one that sounds best to you regardless of its general shape.

Best,
    Daniel
    Excellent advice Daniel.

I would also suggest taking your time and playing as many mandolins as you can get your hands on. You'll know when you've found the one for you.

GVD
    GVD

Just want to say that I bought a Weber Absaroka last month. In my estimation it's a wonderful mandolin. All solid woods, beautiful figuring and I love the tone. I've also received great feedback from the Weber folks to any requests that I've made to them. In my opinion, A-Style is the way to go if you want "bang for the buck."
    awm

I'll put in the usual plug for the Guitar Center clearance Gibsons; you can't go wrong with an A-9 for $800 or an F-9 for $1600!!
    --Prof PT

Don't hate me because I know how to spell and punctuate!

WEBER!

George

Weber!!!
    home for wayward mandolins

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

So, MarvinFowler, what type of music do you enjoy or see yourself playing? For $2500.00, you could pick up a Flatiron 1N ($400 or so) AND a Flatiron A model ($1500 or so). You would have two nice instruments that hold their value and would fit into an old time scene or a bluegrass scene. I'll also suggest you look at the Stiver Mandolin, which are available through Elderly. I love mine and bought it on the used market, but brand new, they are under $3,000.00.

Good luck.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

I just asked a similar question a few days back. You can get a Mid-Missouri or a Chris Baird for for five to six hundred. You can see one of Chris' mandolins in the classifieds. Search on "Chris Baird". A local shop has a Mid-Missouri that I'm going to try and go play this week.

Thanks for all the input. I've certainly taken this to heart; I've checked out several of the recommendations given. I've taken a liking to the breedlove line and have picked out a couple that would fit my price range, particularly the Oregon model. As to my music tastes, fatt-dadd, I'm partial to just about everything from classical to celtic to bluegrass; whatever sounds good and is something I can play with the general idea of progressing from easier to harder. Again, thanks to all for the valuable input and when I make the move I'll give my 2c worth on the new mando.

Marvin, check out a radiused fretboard. If you like it, it will narrow your search.
    Wye Knot

Hi Marvin,
    I got a brand new (although 3 year old) Breedlove Columbia (middle of their line) K style, oval hole, for around $1300 on ebay a while ago. It lists for about $2800 and I sent it back to Oregon when the original "snap bean" tailpiece metal failed and I upgraded to a Monteleone style tailpiece. It has a radius fingerboard and has a great all around sound that can be played in a variety of settings. Certainly not a typical bluegrass mandolin, but I'm very happy with it. It has a BIG sound. Also have an '84 Japanese built Kentucky K1000 that I think if you can find one, would go for the mid teens. A very traditional and wonderful mandolin for the money, I think. Good luck and have fun in your hunt. #

Check these out .
    I've got #44 and I love it.
    you wont find many as good for the price .
    (no financial interest).

(http://community-2.webtv.net/bubbyjones/Glennmandolins/