Thread: LOAR VM-220 or Kenucky KM-675

Default LOAR VM-220 or Kenucky KM-675

Yep, this is another thread where a beginner is looking for advice to get another mandolin.

I've been playing about 4 months on a yard sale "Surf City" model mandolin. If you search the archives here you can find a thread from about 4 years ago where someone was asking about these. They sold on the internet for about $200 at the time, but I got mine for $40. Actually has a solid top. Even after a professional setup, it is not that good of a player, so...

I'd like to upgrade and have sort of narrowed it down to a Loar VM-520 or a used Kentucky KM-675. I can get them both for about the same price. I'm not 100% set on an F, but these seem about what I am looking for in the ~$500 range.

The Kentucky is a more expensive instrument than the Loar, so would I get more mandolin with the used the Kentucky, or would the new Loar (with the dealer setup) be a better buy? I'm not concerned about looks, just good tone and playability, a mandolin with enough volume for bluegrass.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome: Get a new Loar, the used Kentucky, or something else?

Default Re: LOAR VM-220 or Kenucky KM-675

You will want to play each one to be sure, but I personally think the used option is a good one, more bang for the buck. The necks are different, so take that into account. Set-up is important, but get the one you like the most. Someone recently reported a KM-900 A-style (a $1000 mando) selling used for less than your budget. Bargains like that will be rare, but don't forget to look! Enjoy the search!

Scott

My bad. Not a Loar 220, but a 520. The 220 is considerably less thatn $500. The 520 gets such good reviews, I thought it might be as good as the more expensive Kentucky 675

Sorry for the confusion. I wish I could change the thread title.

I like the Kentucky's, but I would lean toward the LM-520 in this case. The 520 is the current leader in this price range.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Quote Originally Posted by PatCampbell View Post
    I'm not concerned about looks, just good tone and playability, a mandolin with enough volume for bluegrass.
    Choosing the one that includes a good setup will assure that it it plays well but it is best is to play both because even beyond the setup you may have a preference for how one feels or how one sounds. Either one with a good setup would be nice to have.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll have to look around town to see if I can find either of those models to play.

I've been unable to find a The Loar in my area, so I would have to buy one without ever hearing it. I've been holding back because I've hear from a couple more experienced players that $600 - $800 is the lowest price point at which the mandolins start sounding *good*. Can the 520 compete with the tone of some of these more expensive mandolins? And I really worry that I would buy it and it wouldn't sound $400 better than my Surf City mando.

Pat,

First off, stop fretting, and start fretting. Get yourself the 520 and try iy out. If you don't like it, send it back in the same condition you received it, and move on. You are out shipping, oh well, but have learned something just as valuable.

Dave
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400
    1988 Jeff Traugott Acoustic #4
    2012 Eastman 905 Archtop Guitar, BLOND!

Remember to grin while you pick, it throws folks off!

"stop fretting, start fretting", I like that, and you are right. But heck, isn't agonizing over the decision half the fun?

I've been unable to find a The Loar in my area, so I would have to buy one without ever hearing it. I've been holding back because I've hear from a couple more experienced players that $600 - $800 is the lowest price point at which the mandolins start sounding *good*. Can the 520 compete with the tone of some of these more expensive mandolins? And I really worry that I would buy it and it wouldn't sound $400 better than my Surf City mando.
    There are only a handful of sub-$800 mandolins that sound better than (or as good as) the LM-520. I think Dave has good advice. Get one sent to you and put it up against every mandolin you can find locally. Local shops shouldn't mind if you bring an instrument in and compare it to theirs. Quite a few dealers have good return policies. I know of at least one that will give you two weeks to try it, no restocking fees and shipping to you is free even if returned. This would end up costing you around $20 if you didn't like it.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

..an update... I received my The Loar LM-520 this week from Folkmusician and I'm having a hard time putting it down. Took it to class last night where the instuctor, who had a negative perception of The Loars, played it and had good things to say about the tone and how it compared to others at that price point and more. Needless to say, it is a big upgrade from my old Surf City mandolin. I guess I won't have to return it.

welcome to "the loar" land.

Happy ending. Glad to hear how well you like it. Not too surprised actually. If gotten from a reputable USA dealer with a true-blue set-up, you can't go too wrong.

There has been a few horror stories of some of these that were purchased overseas directly, who weren't as fortunate enough to get a real set-up included in the deal and had to deal with the problems pretty much on their own. For a couple of them, it was a somewhat of a night-mare.

Jeff