Thread: Advice on buying a bouzouki

Default Advice on buying a bouzouki

Hi There:

I am having a friend of mine build me a Irish flat-backed bouzouki, and I am struggling with how to have it's tuning arranged. What if only the low G string was tuned in octaves?
    Last edited by Leigh Coates; Dec-06-2012 at 8:34pm.
    2011 Pura A Mandolin
    2012 Collings MT-O Gloss Top
    2013 Pura Bouzouki

Default Re: Advice on buying a bouzouki

With my electric version, iI played with quite a few different combinations and tunings and ended up using matched pairs all the way across GDAD. With one of my mandocellos though i've been playing with using an octave pair for C which appear to even out the bottom end a little bit. The low G on my bouzouki doesn't have the same depth though and doesn't seem to need it. YMMV, IMHO, and all the standard disclaimers apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Coates View Post
    Hi There:

I am having a friend of mine build me a Irish flat-backed bouzouki, and I am struggling with how to have it's tuning arranged. What if only the low G string was tuned in octaves?
    That's the scheme I use on my Herb Taylor and I love it. I have the low string in the pair on top, though, the opposite of 12 string guitar.

Sounds like you have an ideal opportunity to try both octave and unison stringing, and see which you prefer. Probably need to ask your friend to make 2 nuts and saddles for the instrument, one for each approach (or 3: unison, "conventional" octave, Landes octave!), but then you can test out the options for as long as you like. Best of luck - hope you find the sound you like.