Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Levon Helm

Blog Entries

Default Re: Levon Helm

Levon and his band perform "Rag Mama Rag" at Mountain Jam IV (6/1/08)

c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Goist View Post
    Levon and his band perform "Rag Mama Rag" at Mountain Jam IV (6/1/08)

Wonderful!

Sorry-did'nt mean to post the whole thing again!

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Just announced the lineup for today's edition of CBS Sunday Morning. They will air a segment commemorating Levon Helm and Dick Clark. If I had to guess it'll run between 9:30-10:15.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

Really great tribute by Bill Flanagan on CBS Sunday Morning. This is the transcript, with a small gallery; I'll post the video when it becomes available.

I loved this bit: He was a fair guitarist, a fine mandolin player, and one of the most influential drummers in the history of rock & roll. I remember running into Bruce Springsteen at a Levon show once and Bruce said, "We get so used to hearing VERSIONS of the thing. Levon IS the thing."

Levon Helm's miraculous encore
    April 22, 2012 10:15 AM

Legendary singer and drummer Levon Helm died Thursday at the age of 71 of cancer, a disease which had almost taken his life once before. Our Bill Flanagan of MTV has an appreciation:

Everyone who loves rock & roll is saddened by the death of Levon Helm. Levon came to international prominence as part of The Band - he sang lead on "Up on Cripple Creek," "Rag Mama Rag," "The Weight," "Don't Do It," and "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down."

He was a fair guitarist, a fine mandolin player, and one of the most influential drummers in the history of rock & roll. I remember running into Bruce Springsteen at a Levon show once and Bruce said, "We get so used to hearing VERSIONS of the thing. Levon IS the thing."

The Band's legacy was immortalized in Martin Scorsese's 1976 film "The Last Waltz." After that The Band broke up, went their separate ways. Levon made solo albums, sometimes reunited with other Band members, and took up a side career as a character actor, appearing in movies like "The Right Stuff" and "Coal Miner's Daughter."

He was the most honored citizen of Woodstock, New York, where he moved in the '60s. They even celebrated Levon Helm Day. Levon was to Woodstock what Sheriff Andy was to Mayberry.

In 1998 Levon learned that he had throat cancer. The news was grim. Even if he recovered, he would probably never talk again. He would certainly never sing again.

Here's where the story gets a bit miraculous. About 10 years ago Levon beat the odds. Word went around that Levon was getting better, that Levon was talking again.

And then . . . Levon was singing again.

In the winter of 2004 Levon had a lot of medical bills. So he and his friends hatched an idea. They would hold a concert in Levon's barn in Woodstock and invite local fans to chip in money for the show and, by the way, to bring some pies and cakes along so everyone could eat. This was the birth of Levon's Midnight Ramble.

The Ramble caught on fast, and in no time it became legendary. If you were lucky enough to score a ticket you could drive up to Woodstock on a Saturday night, head over to Levon's place and sit around in a small circle while one of the greatest rock & rollers of all time put on a show with his band and any famous friends who dropped by.

Jackson Browne, Alan Toussaint, Elvis Costello - everyone came to the Ramble. The last time I went, a few months ago, the music went from 7:30 until after midnight.)

If anybody complained to me about the sad state of rock music, I'd tell them, "If you're looking for real rock & roll, it's alive and well in Levon Helm's barn."

The last 10 miraculous years gave Levon a sort of extended victory lap. Fans got to tell him how much they loved him. Musicians lined up to honor him.

And Levon made three new albums - each of which won the Grammy Award.

It was as if Heaven decided to give Levon an extra decade, just so we could all hear his songs one more time. Just to give Levon and the people who loved him a proper chance to say goodbye.

In the whole history of rock n' roll, no one ever had a greater encore than Levon Helm.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

Here's the link to that gallery. Also a link to a gallery in Rolling Stone that ran when he was presented the key to the city of Woodstock a few years ago. I love this small town stuff, and the way the key was presented to him was really cool - it was in a wooden case carved in the shape of a mandolin.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Levon Helm Key.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	162.8 KB 
ID:	85525
    Last edited by journeybear; Apr-22-2012 at 10:43am. Reason: finding a missing link

I just caught that tribute on the CBS Sunday Morning show. Very well done and very moving.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Blog Entries

Believe it or not, there's a facebook page for Levon And The Hawks.

In case you were wondering, that is Jerry Penfound (sax, flute) on the left, then Danko, Helm, Manuel, Hudson, Robertson. The Band website has a bunch of photos from the early days, an exhaustive list of band members and recordings, concert dates and set lists - several metric tons of info.

It was a drag to hear of Levon's passing. At least he had a 2nd round after his 1st bout w/ cancer. He was still Singin', Drummin', & Strummin' his Mandolin.

I remember the '74 Dylan & The Band tour very well. I got to see them twice on that (Chicago & Bloomington, Indiana).

With all the photos being posted I'd love to get a straight on shot of him with his J200 Electric. Like the photo in "Rock of Ages". I just have a strong mental picture of him out front doing "Rag,Mama, Rag". I didn't even play Mandolin then.

Really an American Style Musician. He had a feel for Rock, Blues, Folk and Country.

Hats off to ya, Mr. Helm.

Blog Entries

Here is the video.

Blog Entries

The Black Keys & John Fogerty Honor Levon Helm at Coachella, 20 April 2012

Name:	fogerty-blackkeys.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	173.7 KB 
ID:	85538

Think Hippie Thoughts...

Blog Entries

Posted to the Levon Helm Facebook page today. Quite fitting.
    I'm sure Levon is now in the 'Eternal Groove'. Rest well.

Drummers lead Levon Helm to his rest

Name:	Levon-Helm-funeral-drummers.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	85762
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

Blog Entries

I recognize Larry Campbell and Jimmy Vivino - on guitars, not drums. I am moved by hearing Levon was buried next to Rick Danko in the cemetery there in Woodstock. Also cheered to learn that his widow has vowed to keep The Barn going. Maybe the midnight rambles will continue as well. Here is a report from a local newspapers website, including some footage of the procession.

Blog Entries

Arkansas Gov. Mike Beebe ordered all flags in the state to be flown at half-staff Friday 4/27/12, the date of his funeral, in honor of Levon Helm.

The following is the governor's proclamation:

TO ALL TO WHOM THESE PRESENTS COME - GREETINGS:

WHEREAS: The man from Turkey Scratch, Arkansas, and incomparable musician and singer for more than half a century, Levon Helm was deeply loved by his family, many friends, and music fans around the world, and died April 19, 2012, after a long and courageous battle with throat cancer; and

WHEREAS: The second of four children in the family of music-loving cotton farmers, Nell and Diamond Helm, Mark Lavon Helm was born in Elaine, Arkansas, on May 26, 1940; he later became known as Levon; and

WHEREAS: A tractor-driving champion on the family farm, and raised on radio programs like the Grand Ole Opry and traveling minstrel shows, Levon learned to play guitar, mandolin, harmonica, banjo, bass, and drums, and at the tender age of 17, he joined the band of Ronnie Hawkins and the Hawks, and continued refining his unique drumming style; and

WHEREAS: In the early 1960s, Helm joined Richard Manuel, Rick Danko, Robbie Robertson, and Garth Hudson, four Canadian musicians, and after honing their mix of country-blues-rock sound and soulful harmonies doing one-night stands around the country, began touring as Bob Dylan’s back-up band; and

WHEREAS: Levon and the Hawks joined Dylan in Woodstock, New York, during his recuperation from motorcycle injuries in 1967, and revitalized their sound, playing acoustic music with lyrics that were personal and homespun and eventually resulted in their influential first album, "Music from Big Pink," and they became known simply as The Band; and

WHEREAS: Levon Helm is most widely known for the songs he sang with The Band: “Up on Cripple Creek,” “The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down,” and “The Weight,” music that is tied to history and rooted in Southern themes. The Band was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1994, and Helm was honored with Grammy Awards in his own right; and

WHEREAS: After The Band declared the end of their touring career in 1976, and filmed and recorded a final all-star concert, “The Last Waltz”, Levon began his acting career in such notable roles as Loretta Lynn’s father in “Coal Miner’s Daughter” and Chuck Yeager’s friend in “The Right Stuff”; and

WHEREAS: Helm remained a working musician, reuniting with several members of The Band, but was diagnosed with throat cancer in 1998 and for awhile lost his ability to speak above a whisper, but through determination and will, he regained enough use of his voice to perform his successful monthly Midnight Rambles with other famous musical artists; and

WHEREAS: Citizens of this State extend deepest sympathy to Levon’s wife, Sandra, and daughter, Amy, and all of the loved ones of Levon Helm, an enormously talented performer and gifted musician, whose Arkansas roots can be heard and felt in his voice and in his music;

NOW, THEREFORE, I, MIKE BEEBE, Governor of the State of Arkansas, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the laws of the State of Arkansas, in tribute to the memory of Levon Helm and as an expression of public sorrow, do hereby direct that all State flags be flown at half-staff on April 27, 2012.

IN TESTIMONY WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and caused the Great Seal of the State of Arkansas to be affixed this 23rd day of April, in the year of our Lord 2012.

As all of you guys I will dearly miss Levon. Here in Arkansas we are so proud to know an Arkansas boy who really made it good. The mayor of one of our local little towns (Clarksville ) is his 1st cousin and was interviewed for the local Johnson County Graphic. He told some really cool stories about when they were boys growing up. The last time I seen Levon was in Yokohoma Japan when he was playing with Ringo Starr and his Allstar Band. Levon was as great as ever and siting there listening to him perform in another country and knowing he was from Arkansas really made me proud. RIP Levon Helm
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

Blog Entries

Appreciate the sentiment, but once again I have to admit, I just don't get Bruce Springsteen. (Of course, as a long-time Deadhead, I'm used to people not getting my musical tastes.)

By the way, did he pronounce Levon "Levin"?

Blog Entries

He sure did. The Rolling Stone writer mentioned that, and I figured he meant Bruce pronounced it with the accent on the second syllable, which is actually (I believe) close to how his actual name (Lavon) would be pronounced. (The story goes that his Hawks bandmates had a hard time with that and kept calling him Lee-von, and it stuck.) But yeah, then I listened to it, and what a surprise. I thought they knew each other, or at least he would have known. Oh well, nobody's perfect.

Just thought you'd all like to know, first, they're continuing the Midnight Rambles (the first without Levon was this past weekend, and would have been his 72nd birthday). You'll have to watch Levon's website for more details. Second, Mountain Jam (where Levon performed with Sam Bush, among others), will be paying a tribute to Levon this Saturday night with Levon's band and Warren Haynes (from Government Mule)....

Blog Entries

Gov't Mule and The Levon Helm Band perform The Weight at Mountain Jam VIII on 2 June 2012.
    Levon is right there. I'm sure he is.

Think Hippie Thoughts...

was in a levon mood and reading old posts. man i miss him. starting to put together a string of songs to do while gigging. a sort of tribute where we can play the song and then explain why the person was so important to the development of music. gotta do levon's atlantic city. when i play the chordie version it doesn't sound right. don't want to play it with a capo, cause he didn't. any suggestions????-dave

Blog Entries

Wow...just Wow.

Think Hippie Thoughts...

Blog Entries