Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Levon Helm

Default Re: Levon Helm

Quote Originally Posted by J.Albert View Post
    "I remember seeking out Big Pink on a trip to Woodstock and having my picture taken in front the house (when it was still painted pink)."

It's still Pink. Took a trip up there yesterday, and then to Levon's place on Plochman Lane. Very quiet there, not sure if he got to spend his last days at home by the swamp. (Edit - Levon was at the Memorial Sloane-Kettering Center in NYC)

What a life Levon lived -- witnessing bluegrass before it -was- "bluegrass" (one of his first musical heros was Bill Monroe, hence, the mandolin), being around for the early days of rock 'n' roll (and traveling with Ronnie Hawkins), Dylan and the days in the Pink house, The Band, films, his fight with cancer back in the late 90's. The reaper came too early for him.

And what a voice! As an aside, what if Levon had not been pulled away from bluegrass by rock? We might be honoring him as one of the great bluegrass singers!

Rest in peace, Levon.
    And God Bless!

Glad to hear it's still pink, I guess I had heard (innacurately) that it had been repainted a different color.
    In my teen years, my family moved to a small pink house, my friends called it Little Pink.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

A friend down the street from me in high school had every album by The Band. Used to spend a lot of time there listening to those records. Levon's spirit will live on in all of us whose lives he touched through his music. RIP.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

He's gone up....and will be missed
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

I knew that Levon was going but I didn't want to believe it. And I knew that when he went words would fail me. So I will repeat what I posted to his facebook page, with a little bit more, which, if I had known his wife was going to read to him, I would have included.

So sad to hear of Levon passing. But so glad for all he had given to so many people for so long. And as a mandolinist, I can't adequately express my thanks for all his playing did for me. One of the first times I heard mandolin in a rock song was on "Rag Mama Rag" (THE first was Ry Cooder playing on The Rolling Stones' version of "Love In Vain" - I think), and it hipped me to a way the instrument could be played that I had not known before.

It was a great honor for my band to open for The Band many years later (the reunited version), and an everlasting honor, privilege, and delight to meet Levon, however briefly, in the green room before the show. We were just a local jug band from CT, opening for a great, renowned, much beloved band, but they were all so kind, gracious, and friendly. (Garth Hudson, the quiet one on stage, kind of monopolized the conversation, but I didn't care however he rambled, it was so very cool meeting them.) Levon seemed quite untouched by all the fame and accolades that had been heaped upon him over the years - just a down to earth guy, who loved playing music.

That is what I remember most about him from this experience - how just plain folks he was. And as I've listened to the way he played mandolin since then, I was struck by one thing more than anything else. He may not have been a virtuoso, he may not have been able to play rings around a whole lot of other players, but he found how to make his instrument his voice, to get it to express himself through it. And that is one of the key aspects of being a good player - true self-expression by reducing as much as possible the gap between what one thinks and what one plays. He was just as much a just plain folks player as person.

The world is a better place to live in for him having been in it. My heart goes out to him and to those who love him and whom he has loved.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

My mama was from Woodstock and my folks used to send us up there in the summer to her relatives to get out of the Texas heat. We were pretty oblivious to the presence of the place at the time. Both her and my daddy are buried in the cemetery there. One of my brothers was speculating on how nice it would be if Mr. Helm might be soon keeping them company. That would be too good to be true.

Like Sinatra and Holiday, his was a true American voice of the richest most inclusive kind: "The way that little sweet thing of mine dips her donut in my tea." Nobody else could make Lake Charles, LA a mythic place. Let's hope the Post Office is already working on a stamp.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Great photo's and interview by Dix Bruce of Levon Helm. Thanks Dix, and thank you Levon for the music.

http://musixnow.com/newsletter19.html

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

http://youtu.be/HMXCM5TCrv8
    I felt that this was the most appropriate possible tribute to a great musician, multi-instrumentalist, and all around good guy. RIP Levon.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

In remembrance of Levon Helm, I'm watching Cold Miners Daughter. Not only was Levon a great musician, he was one hell of an actor.

Blog Entries

Statement from Bob Dylan in Response to Levon's Passing

Also, Terry Gross will be devoting today's entire hour of Fresh Air (NPR radio) to Levon Helm.

This from Terry's Facebook page: "Today's entire show will be devoted to Levon Helm. We're replaying interviews from 1993 and 2007. Below is the 2007 conversation. Audio from the 1993 interview will be posted later today."
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Blog Entries

Good stuff and great links, you NPR guy! I'll be tuning in. I'm pretty sure I know how you'll be spending your lunch hour. That 2007 interview is great - great questions and answers.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

Statement by President Bill Clinton on the passing of Levon Helm

April 19, 2012 | New York, NY | Bill Clinton | Statements
    "I was saddened to learn of the death of my fellow Arkansan Levon Helm. Levon was one of America's great musicians. His music, with the Hawks, the Band, and throughout his career, and his standout performance in Coal Miner's Daughter, touched a cord with me and with many Americans. He never forgot his roots. I was always grateful that he helped the annual Delta Blues Festival get off the ground. He will be deeply missed."
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    And as I've listened to the way he played mandolin since then, I was struck by one thing more than anything else. He may not have been a virtuoso, he may not have been able to play rings around a whole lot of other players, but he found how to make his instrument his voice, to get it to express himself through it. And that is one of the key aspects of being a good player - true self-expression by reducing as much as possible the gap between what one thinks and what one plays. He was just as much a just plain folks player as person.

I totally agree, he is all about feel, a true musician. Just listen to "The Girl I Left Behind" or "Got Me A Woman" from Dirt Farmer, just hitting a groove that only he could hit on that mando, those songs aren't easy to emulate despite the deceptive simplicity. A definite inspiration to me.

The Band was the first band that I became obesessed with. I still remember the first time I listened to the brown album I was driving through the Catskills, where I grew up, and the music just spoke to me. At the time I had no idea they had any connection to the region and was more into alt-rock/indie rock and was confused as to why I was digging these "country" sounds so much. That was just the beginning of the journey.

I owe my current love of roots music to Levon and The Band and for that I can't be thankful enough. I wasn't aware of Hartford at the time of his death but as someone else mentioned this feels a bit similiar. A true American voice has been lost that spoke to the values that make this place so great.

At least he will live on in his recordings and I am so glad he made those two "Dirt" albums, not only do they showcase his mastery of connecting to the roots of our soul but they show how the mando can be used in different types of ensembles to great effect!

I hope they do a few more Rambles, I have to believe Levon would want the music and family and community to live on.

[YOUTUBE[/YOUTUBE]
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Apr-20-2012 at 2:13pm. Reason: Fixed quote syntax

Blog Entries

Very nice of Bill Clinton. I'm sure he meant to say "The Hawks," "The Band," and "touched a chord," but this was still very nice of him. This reminds me of something I had overlooked - the special bond and pride people from Arkansas must feel regarding Levon. I wouldn't be at all surprised if his birthday (May 26) will be commemorated with a statewide proclamation.

Very nice of Bill Clinton. I'm sure he meant to say "The Hawks," "The Band," and "touched a chord," but this was still very nice of him. This reminds me of something I had overlooked - the special bond and pride people from Arkansas must feel regarding Levon. I wouldn't be at all surprised if his birthday (May 26) will be commemorated with a statewide proclamation.

Hopefully the Catskill/Hudson Valley/Ulster County region does the same. I know I've always thought of him as one of "us". Heck lets just make it a national holiday.

Blog Entries

Very nice of Bill Clinton. I'm sure he meant to say "The Hawks," "The Band," and "touched a chord," but this was still very nice of him.
    You must remember that Clinton is a sax player. 'Splains a lot, Lucy."
    Just when I got a paddle, they added more water to the creek.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mandotarian View Post
    Heck, let's just make it a national holiday.
    No idea what the requirements are, but no argument from me. My flag is already at half staff.

Right on. Thoughtful writing. Great man.

Quote Originally Posted by Spruce View Post
    As will this....
    A wonderful piece of writing....

I loved Levon, but I REALLY loved his drumming, and REALLY loved his drumming on Mystery Train.

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

WTMD (Towson University Radio) featured The Last Waltz on its Live Lunch. It was a touching tribute. For me, the only solace from Levon's passing is that his music will be around and appreciated for lifetimes to come.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

He must have passed very near the time I was watching videos of him at the Ryman with a smile on my face and tears in my eyes. God, what joy he gave us all.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

I've loved the music of The Band my whole life. I grew up listening to my parent's records (who saw them play at the Royal Albert Hall). And now I'm nearly 40 my own children have been growing up listening to The Band (and Levon's recent solo albums) on my CDs.

Apart from Fairport Convention, who themselves were greatly inspired by them and in many ways did a similar thing except with an English take, there really is not a musical ensemble that means more to me than The Band. And Levon was the heart of that group, literally beating away at the centre. I've read a number of obituaries today talking about his singing on 'The Night they Drove Old Dixie Down', but his drumming on that song, it's incredible. No other drummer has or had the feel, emotion and grooviness that Levon has (I say has, cause it's still there, in his recordings). And of course his simple but effective mandolin playing, deceptively simple, love the playing on "Rockin' Chair".

I don't remember ever feeling the need to add my thoughts to a forum or comment page for a recently deceased musician, but the man's been such a part of my life, all my life...

God bless you Levon Helm and have a safe journey.
    Gibson A9
    Jimmy Moon Standard A

Blog Entries

Nice find. And very nice T-shirt, what I can see of it. Anyone recognize it?

And very nice T-shirt, what I can see of it. Anyone recognize it?
    It's just a guess but I'd borrow mob money and bet it is Mandolin World News as the logo is the same as the publication it's pictured in.
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Apr-21-2012 at 6:23pm. Reason: I'm fluent in typo.

Blog Entries

OMG! I thought I'd seen it somewhere before!