Thread: Octave Banjo Lin -- Irish Tenor Banjo: Anyone here play one?

Default Octave Banjo Lin -- Irish Tenor Banjo: Anyone here play one?

I've owned an OME Celtic Banjo -- which I feel would better be named an OctaveBanjoLin, given its octave lower GDAE tuning. Any mandolin player, with a reasonable sized hand can play it "right out of the box" -- you just need to stretch 65% further than necessary on a mandolin. Fully closed chop chords are impossible but double stops and three string strums sound great. Most of the time I'm playing a melody line (or complementing harmony line) -- sparse yet filling out the main refrain played by the fiddler(s). I try to be understated -- that way, no one gives me "the stink eye" ;~) !

I bring out the OME at Old Time jams, especially when the group is large and all other stringband instruments are represented -- I can always make myself heard! I get a very banjo-like sound without having to learn to play frailing/clawhammer banjo.

Anyone here play OctaveBanjoLin? Your experience?

Default Re: Octave Banjo Lin -- Irish Tenor Banjo: Anyone here play one?

Quite a few of us play tenor banjo. There is a social group for it. Myself, I play in standard tenor tuning, CGDA. I have a selection of tenor family instruments and have been focusing some energy on that tuning. I am sure I will play with the octave tuning at some point as well. Tenor banjo is a lot of fun!

Also, I just took delivery of an OME custom Flora 5 string banjo with a Silverspun tone ring, wonderful instrument! I have imagined that tone ring would be perfect for a tenor instrument. What ring does your OME have?

I've been devout for CGDA for years--as I was into playing standards (and singing). I've since been immersed in instrumental (mostly irish trad) music, so when I pulled out my CGDA tenor the other day to practice for gig, i was stiff...so I picked up my little GDAE 17-fret bacon -- which I never play -- and it suddenly sounded really good--since my (technical) approach has shifted: it has the tone I need for the music I'm now playing. So, the switch...after years and years...and quite unexpectedly. You never know where music will take you

I can still play my rags and standards on GDAE when the spirit moves, so it's really just a tonal shift--as far as the instrument is concerned

Have fun with that banjo!

Thanks for the tip re: TB Social Group -- I'll look into it.

My OME has a Silver Bell tone ring. How would it differ from a Silverspun?

re: CGDA -- I've owned several true (CGDA) tenors (including guitars). I always found I had to play on the top 3 (i.e. GDA) strings, and would be forced to play way up the neck on the E string. By contrast, playing GDAE (an octave lower) means playing where the fiddle tune was written to play -- in the "sweet spot". As a mandolin player, GDAE just is W A Y more user friendly. I even had the nut of my 1927 (1st year for both Martin and Gibson) Martin 0-17T regrooved for heavier strings to make it a GDAE instrument.

Am I missing something? Is there a secret to playing a CGDA tenor??

For me it's chord melody, voice leading, extended harmony, and its range is right in my vocal "sweet spot"