Thread: Mid-Mo/Big Muddy owners

Default Mid-Mo/Big Muddy owners

Hello all,
    I have a used Mid-Mo I just purchased on the cafe. looking for string gague advice from anyone who is a Mid-Mo/Big Muddy owner. Light gage or mediums? What is the basic difference in sound between these 2 gauges on these particular mandos?

I know sound is subjective, but these mandos are similar in construction & build, so I thought this wasn't stretching things too much.

Looking for owners who have tried both gauges and their opinions. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by ccravens; Jan-07-2010 at 1:25pm.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

Default Re: Mid-Mo/Big Muddy owners

Definitely light gauge strings. Mediums such as J-74's are too heavy and can damage flat-top mandolins such as Big Muddy/ Mid-Missouri, Flatiron, etc over time.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

Sorry Cap, but I'll have to disagree with you. Big Muddy's come from Mr. Dulak with medium gauge strings on them. I've tried light strings on my Big Muddy, but didn't like the loss of tone and volume. J-74's sound great, as do GHS silk and bronze 11-40. I'm currently using John Pearse mediums 11-39, they're very bright and "alive". The Big Muddy/Mid Mos are structurally very sound.
    >>>===> Dave

Have to agree with Capt. E on that one. Light's are brigher. Builder also recommends light gague.

Just talked to Mike, and he said that they ship them out with medium-light gague strings. Not sure what brand, or who makes medium-light for mando. Anyone know? After Dave's comments, I might have to try some mediums just to see what they sound like.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

Quote Originally Posted by ccravens View Post
    Just talked to Mike, and he said that they ship them out with medium-light gague strings. Not sure what brand, or who makes medium-light for mando. Anyone know? After Dave's comments, I might have to try some mediums just to see what they sound like.
    Believe GHS makes the one's I have now.

i remember them being GHS strings as well - didn't like them much and changed them for a set of calace, round wound, carbon steel strings from dogal (medium gauge). mike's mandolins can handle medium gauge comfortably, no sweat.

I use GHS A250s on mine.
    Steve

On my M4 I've tried GHS A260s and A250s. I once had a set of Black Diamonds I particularly liked but can't remember the model/gauge. Also like JazzMando JM-11s for a mellower sound and a slinky feel.

Interesting about J74's.... I have always been a bit cautious with the flat-tops I have owned and A250's seem to fit the bill nicely and sound great, especially on my Flatiron N1. A250's match the recommended string weights printed inside the N1.

I agree...what are medium-lights? Guess we need to know the exact string gauge's.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

Mike ships 'em out with GHS strings 38-24-16-11, not sure if they're PB or 80/20 (bright bronze).
    >>>===> Dave

I have been using LaBella JM11's from Jazz mando for a number of years. I also used Darco lights and liked them, but not as much as the LaBellas.

Personal preference as usual. I've tried Jazzmandos as well as Lenzner classical strings on my M-0 but didn't think either of them suited the somewhat raucous character of the Mid-Mo. I changed to the GHS PB set used by Mike for the factory setup and think that they are indeed a very good match. Pretty in-your-face sound, though, so if you prefer mellow tones you may want to try the flatwounds or steel-and-silk.

Martin

I had my MidMo M2 strung up with J75s (mediums). I noticed that they produced a louder, fatter sounding tone than the J74s. I owned that mandolin four 4 years and regularly strung it this way with no ill effects. I did have to put a very slightly taller bridge on it, and Mike very graciously supplied me with several to try at no extra cost.
    Steve

"They're approaching. That's very forward of them."

I like the way Martin 80/20s sound on my M4 (rose) and M11 (all-mahog). I also strung them on an inexpensive, all-laminate, molded A-style Oscar Schmidt mandolin and it managed to make that guy sound surprisingly well. Not meant for a bluegrass cannon, but for flat-tops it seems to bring out the best in those instruments. Tried copper and Elixers but neither felt right on the Mid-Mo.

Anyone have any recent input on this topic? I just got a used Mid-Missouri M-2 with really old strings that need changing. I have some Daddario EXP74's but I dont want to put them on if it will mess up the flat top. Thanks!

as stated, mike recommends medium gauge - i believe Daddario EXP74's are medium so they should be ok.

I just purchased an MW 0 about 3 weeks ago. Dusty Strings told me they set it up with J-74s. It sounds great with them. I'll probably replace with EXPs (as Bill recommends above) when the time comes because I hate changing strings.
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

Well, 2 years later... I like the Martin "bluegrass" and have been using them for a while now.
    As a side note, I put a set of the GHS 11-38's on my M-0 and decided that I didn't care for the 16 gauge A strings and swapped 'em out for 14's. I was shocked at how much I had to de-tune the other strings. That 16 puts a LOT of pressure on the top.
    >>>===> Dave

I put them on last night with no trouble and my goodness this mandolin sounds incredible, so clear and organic. My Kentucky Km-675 wont be getting much play for a while I think. Just....wow, just better than I even expected

"clear and organic" - good way to describe it - there's certainly something special about them. even if (and when) you put it down for a while, it'll be such a treat to pick it up again.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by billkilpatrick View Post
    "clear and organic" - good way to describe it - there's certainly something special about them. even if (and when) you put it down for a while, it'll be such a treat to pick it up again.
    Bill, I forget. Which model M-M/BM do you have? My student who has one is graduating, so my access will soon be over and it has me thinking.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

i've got two: an M-0 and M-4. of the two, the M-4 sounds better - rich, warm, full sound. both are excellent mandolins but for my purposes, the clean lines of the M-0 looks more medieval - it lacks projection the M-4 has.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Thanks, Bill. I was looking at the M4. Rosewood back and sides, right? I've got a couple old Lyon/Larson/Leland flatbacks with the spruce/rosewood combination and I like them. The longer scale on the Big Muddy is appealing. Medium Dogals sound like a really good idea.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

can't recommend the dogals enough - great tone and they last forever. nice thing about the rosewood back and sides is the lovely scent.