Thread: Godin a8 vs. Blue star Mandoblaster

Default Godin a8 vs. Blue star Mandoblaster

Has anyone ever used either and can help me choose?

Destroyer of Mandolins

Default Re: Godin a8 vs. Blue star Mandoblaster

Hi and welcome,

They are two quite different instruments. The Mandoblaster is a solid-body electric mandolin while the Godin is an acoustic electric design. The Mandoblaster is popular with those who want to explore lots of special effects and electric sounds, while the Godin is widely regarded as one of the most natural sounding amplified mandolins. Which you choose will depend entirely on what you want to do with it. What kind of music do you want to play?
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

I agree with Tim above. Having owned both in the past, it's really apples and oranges. Godin if you want to keep it acoustic, and the blaster if you want to unleash your inner rock star. Actually, the Godin I had never sounded that great, in that it had a low level buzz that I could never get rid of.
    Chief. Way up North. Gibson 1917 A model with pickup. JL Smith 5 string electric. 1929 National Triolian resonator mandolin with pickup. National RM 1 with pickup. Ovation Applause. Fender FM- 60 E 5 string electric (with juiced pickups). 1950's Gibson EM-200 electric mandolin. 1954 Gibson EM-150 electric mandolin. Custom made "Jett Pink" 5 string electric- Bo Diddley slab style. Jay Roberts Tiny Moore model 5 string electric.

Love my Godin, it is really for creating an "acoustic" mandolin sound when amplified. To my ear, electric mandos sound like high-pitched guitars but if that is the sound you are looking for... buy the Mandoblasted

Thanks. I think im going to try the mandoblaster, because i am looking more for the electric sound

Big Bert...want to buy mine?
    Jethro lives! (Tiny, too!)

It's gray.
    Jethro lives! (Tiny, too!)

Take the sale into a Private Message conversation in order to avoid conflicting with the forum guidelines. Thanks
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

I owned both.
    The Godin was good - solid, consistent and acoustic sounding - but didn't excite me as much to play as my Fishman Piezo bridge equipped Flatiron Performer F - so I sold it.

The Bluestar Mandoblaster I had was a 5 string. I also sold that. The C was always too slack tension-wise and the fret work on that instrument was loathsome. Instead of a smooth fret feel I got hung up on that board by frets that seemed to inhibit quick picking.

I am sure the Bluestar line has improved since I owned one - this was at least 10 yrs ago.

As others have said, it depends upon what you want to do with it.....

A8 uses 4 bridge mounted Piezos.. [+ a Pre/EQ] the other a lipstick magnetic PU.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Destroyer of Mandolins

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bert View Post
    Thanks. I think im going to try the mandoblaster, because i am looking more for the electric sound
    Congrats of your decision and good luck with it. Let us know what you think when you've had time to work with it.

Do take heed to what Ted said above. The Mandoblaster can usually use a good set up that includes fret work. If you get the five-string, I'd like to know what you think of it. For me, the 5/10 string mandolins have always been a bit disappointing. As Ted mentioned, the low C is always a bit slack for me. Extending the range to include the mandola is one of those things that seems like such a great idea, but it never really pans out somehow.

For me the idea of combining mandolin and mandola is like the tromboon (the trombone/bassoon hybrid): It combines the worst of both instruments.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user