Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Real Starter Mandolin recommendations around $400~ range?

Question Real Starter Mandolin recommendations around $400~ range?

Myself am partial to ovals for their inherent mellow sound and great sustain. Not knowing the various manufacturers, limited experience, & only having limited hands-on availability, what are one's best choices in the $400~$450 range?

Do know a few used ones come up that have a good price on them. I keep searching for a good deal. Want something that will last a few years, have a good tone for playing with other acoustic instruments, didgeridoo, and solo.

Looking for one to bring in the new year, and last a few years with a smooth rich tone.

Thank you, again. And have a Merry Christmas!
    • Seagull S8 • Weber Y2K6 • David Hudson Bloodwood Didgeridoo (C#) •

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Default Re: Real Starter Mandolin recommendations around $400~ range?

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoTrailLizard View Post
    Myself am partial to ovals for their inherent mellow sound and great sustain. Not knowing the various manufacturers, limited experience, & only having limited hands-on availability, what are one's best choices in the $400~$450 range?
    I think that you have a range of options among used domestic flattops in that price range. I referenced Mid-Missouri / Big Muddy in your other thread, and I have also owned alternatives built by Gypsy (the late Walt Kuhlman), Redline, and Flatiron. The latter are among the best sounding pancakes I've played, and there are two on Reverb that come in at the low end of your budget. One is an early model that has the cache of being pre-Gibson buyout:

https://reverb.com/item/7531832-flat...dolin-1sb-1983

The other comes from a bit later but offers an adjustable truss rod:

https://reverb.com/item/7526642-flat...et-1990-cherry

There is also a slightly more expensive Cadet should Santa leave some extra mandolin money in your stocking:

https://reverb.com/item/7444317-earl...lin-dark-brown
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

3. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Completely agree on the above - was watching the cherry Cadet until I went a different direction with my Californian.

Have seen a couple of used Big Muddy/Mid-Missouri show up on-line in that range. Guitar Center had one recently, but it appears to have sold.

And if you are willing to take a change on eBay, you can find used Martin A style mandolins in that range. Looks like the last 2 sold for under $400. (One had a crack)
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

5. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Flat top mandolins are not for everyone. Some prefer carved top mandolins. Both Kentucky and Eastman manufacture good student grade oval hole mandolins . Some models are within your price range new and more models used. Keep in mind Elderley Instruments , The Mandolin Store and The Folk Musician sites as good places to shop for well setup ready to play instruments. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UsuallyPickin For This Useful Post:

You can almost get a new Morris flatop in your price range. They get great reviews. I’d stick with the Mandolin Cafe classifieds for something used, if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by UsuallyPickin View Post
    Flat top mandolins are not for everyone. Some prefer carved top mandolins. Both Kentucky and Eastman manufacture good student grade oval hole mandolins . Some models are within your price range new and more models used. Keep in mind Elderley Instruments , The Mandolin Store and The Folk Musician sites as good places to shop for well setup ready to play instruments. R/
    Good advice above !

Best new and currently available oval in your price range is Kentucky KM-270
    https://www.elderly.com/kentucky-km-270-mandolin.htm
    Use promo code "SONG" to save 10%. Total comes to $337.50
    Here's a good case for $42.50 with code SAVE15
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...-mandolin-case

11. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

You guys in the US don’t know how lucky you are! I just priced up a KM-270, just shy of $800 this side of the pond!

Quote Originally Posted by OneChordTrick View Post
    You guys in the US don’t know how lucky you are! I just priced up a KM-270, just shy of $800 this side of the pond!
    Believe me we do, but life is a trade off, and your way of life has certain distinct advantages. It is just a matter of how we pay differently for things.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    Believe me we do, but life is a trade off, and your way of life has certain distinct advantages. It is just a matter of how we pay differently for things.
    From where I’m sitting I’d be inclined to disagree but I suspect that it would become too political suffice to say that I enjoyed the year that I spent living in NYC.

Seen a really good looking and sounding (YouTube) mandolin available only in the UK since the seller said shipping to us in the USA would be astronomical in price. Was a fanciful looking one that came highly recommended - however I do not recall where I found it offhand last month. So y'all do have some region specific mandolins that a non-wealthy person can obtain from over on this side of the great pond.

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    I think that you have a range of options among used domestic flattops in that price range. I referenced Mid-Missouri / Big Muddy in your other thread, and I have also owned alternatives built by Gypsy (the late Walt Kuhlman), Redline, and Flatiron. The latter are among the best sounding pancakes I've played, and there are two on Reverb that come in at the low end of your budget. One is an early model that has the cache of being pre-Gibson buyout:

https://reverb.com/item/7531832-flat...dolin-1sb-1983

The other comes from a bit later but offers an adjustable truss rod:

https://reverb.com/item/7526642-flat...et-1990-cherry

There is also a slightly more expensive Cadet should Santa leave some extra mandolin money in your stocking:

https://reverb.com/item/7444317-earl...lin-dark-brown

Not hear a FlatIron type before. Am guessing the name came from a cast iron pan or something shape? Will look on YouTube later and see what these sound like. I did message two of the owners to see if they YouTube samples available, and there was a Weber Y2K for a bit more than I want to pay on Ebay that I also asked for a YouTube play sample.

Seen some Y2K in the past for great prices. Wished I had gotten the bug again earlier in the year. Have gained a lot of information reading over this forum and watching/listing to YouTube & Podcasts. That Moose guy lessons I find more useful that most, although there are no charts available to download anymore - Music Moose? I like his style in teaching.

Thank you VERY MUCH for the feedback all. :D

17. The following members say thank you to James Miller for this post:

I think the Eastman 404 and 504 at The Mandolin Store would be hard to beat. NFI. Check out the pre-owned section.

Down the road I go Trav'linmando's Avatar

Idahotrail, you need to look at the used 404 at The Mandolin Store. At the upper end of your price range and will be properly set up. I have owned a 404 for a while now and find myself playing her quite often. Be aware that the Eastman neck is not everyone idea of comfortable. I do prefer the shape myself. And like you, I enjoy the tone and sustain of an oval hole.
    Very few of us know, how much we have to know, in order to know, how little we know.
    Father Ed Dowling

Pava A5 #156
    Eastman 815V
    Eastman 514
    Eastman 404
    Godin A8

20. The following members say thank you to Trav'linmando for this post:

Shayan Givehchian

I have an Eastman md514 oval hole and it makes a pretty sweet deep sound which in very happy with. I think you can find one used for your budget
    In love with the mandolin since Feb 2016
    Eastman MD514
    APC MOC308 Octave

Quote Originally Posted by Trav'linmando View Post
    Idahotrail, you need to look at the used 404 at The Mandolin Store. At the upper end of your price range and will be properly set up. I have owned a 404 for a while now and find myself playing her quite often. Be aware that the Eastman neck is not everyone idea of comfortable. I do prefer the shape myself. And like you, I enjoy the tone and sustain of an oval hole.
    For $50 more can get an Eastman 504 ~ Tempting, sooo tempting. Keep trying to tell myself to spend less though. This forum reminds me of MTO in ways, end up wanting to buy more stuff.

Merry Christmas All
    Last edited by James Miller; Dec-25-2017 at 3:58am.

The advice I give to my students is to set a hundred dollars a month aside for 2 years and get something in the 2000, $2,500 range. While you can get something playable in the $400 range ultimately you won't be satisfied with it and you will end up spending a lot more money upgrading at a later point.

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by themandocello View Post
    The advice I give to my students is to set a hundred dollars a month aside for 2 years and get something in the 2000, $2,500 range. While you can get something playable in the $400 range ultimately you won't be satisfied with it and you will end up spending a lot more money upgrading at a later point.
    Nice thought, but that assumes they will have an extra $100, and that one will stick with the mandolin long enough, and that when one gets to $2500, they won't want a $5000 instrument. Chasing upwards is fun, but to make that an essential part of playing turns a lot of students and parents off. There's some good stuff out there for around $400, and there are plenty of musicians touring with instruments in that price range in order to save their good ones from the rigors of the road. Sometimes less is more.

25. The following members say thank you to Charlieshafer for this post:

James:

Check out the Eastman MD304. I have a 305 and It sounds great.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlieshafer View Post
    Nice thought, but that assumes they will have an extra $100, and that one will stick with the mandolin long enough, and that when one gets to $2500, they won't want a $5000 instrument. Chasing upwards is fun, but to make that an essential part of playing turns a lot of students and parents off. There's some good stuff out there for around $400, and there are plenty of musicians touring with instruments in that price range in order to save their good ones from the rigors of the road. Sometimes less is more.
    It also depends on what type of sound you are chasing. For an oval hole, I don't think one needs to have $2,000 to get a perfectly good "forever" instrument. I'm thinking more about vintage Gibson oval holes and most flat top instruments can be had well under that price range. Even used US made Breedloves are well under that price at present. The oval holes are less easy to find (only one on Reverb right now). They are out there and cheap for what they are.

FWIW, both of my oval holes combined cost well under $2,000 so I have an obvious bias here.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Hmm... noticed something strange on these other mandolins compared to the Rogue's fingerboard.

Above the double-dot on the fingerboard "G" there are 4 dots down the neck. Going up the neck (in tone) are
    | | |○| |○| | ○| | |○| |8| | |○| |○| | | | \
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41Hx5Il81JL.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	163417

These others appear to have dropped the first ○ altogether!

| | | | |○| | ○| | |○| |8| | |○| |○| | | | \

Name:	_4_3_127.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	147.0 KB 
ID:	163420
    https://www.elderly.com/acoustics/ma...2-mandolin.htm

Name:	dscf9410_6.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	271.8 KB 
ID:	163421
    https://www.elderly.com/acoustics/ma...lin-gigbag.htm

Name:	wsprodlg_mf504cs_(1).jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	163418

I these are so called entry level mandolins why are they not marking the lower frets nearest the neck? This to confuse beginners or something?
    That one mark is not even on the edge, so guess for a more expensive mandolin these manufacturers must of forgotten that one section where most of us start out playing 2 fingered chords. Guess this means we'll have to drill a small hole on the side and fill with paint or something for a reference point??

For a lower end of the market, the Rogue toy sure didn't forget that point.

Name:	_4_3_127.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	195.3 KB 
ID:	163419

Weber sure didn't forget it...
    Attachment 163422

Name:	_4_5_374.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	144.6 KB 
ID:	163423

Name:	_4_1_48.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	161.3 KB 
ID:	163424

I find this rather odd...

Found some Loar on Reverb, they forgot the extra reference dot. Must be certain manufacturers that leave it out on "entry level mandolins" for some quirky reason or another.

Fender did not forget.

Name:	hijzrgrpgyla9pnd3eq0.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	163425
    Last edited by James Miller; Dec-25-2017 at 10:58pm.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

just pointing out, I don't ever recognize the fretboard markers on the fretboard. Now, the sideboard markers, I do notice them!

I will agree there is variability in manufacturer's fretboard markers. There is also variability in the neck joint. Oval hole mandolins with a 15-fret neck joint are known as, "Hybrid" oval holes. Traditional oval hole mandolins have a 12-fret neck joint and transverse bracing. Hybrids are not like that. As such, they sound unique - not bad to some, but not the same as the traditional oval hole mandolin. It's a blending of the arch-top f-hole mandolin to the oval hole look, which does modify the sound.

Your OP discusses oval hole sustain, which can be very real. That said, if somebody asked me about a first mandolin, I'd likely advise to get an arch-top f-hole mandolin. They are much more versatile than bluegrass. Heck, listen to what Thile is playing on his, "Bluegrass" box!

Pheff gave good leads on pancakes. (Flatiron is a geologic structure next to Boulder and the character of the mountains in Bozeman is similar.)

I love my pancake!

I also love my oval hole Gibson A3. The paddle head Gibson mandolins are actually great bargains, if that's the direction you want.

I do have two A5-type mandolins too, which is often what I play in large jams or perform (rarely and as a hack).

If properly set up, a new Kentucky KM-270 is likely for getting your feet wet. Saving for a Collings MT or something of that ilk may be the end game though? Unless you get scroll envy!

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatt-dad For This Useful Post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UsuallyPickin View Post
    Flat top mandolins are not for everyone. Some prefer carved top mandolins.
    To be clear, I am one who prefers carved top mandolins, even among ovals. But there are also some who prefer independently built instruments to factory produced ones, American made mandolins to imports, and gently used offerings to new versions. Hopefully we can all agree that we prefer bigger budgets! But the OP will have to decide which of these preferences is most important in his price range.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

One more suggestion would be a Howard "Sonny" Morris mandolin. He makes a flat top oval hole mandolin for around $550. slightly over your budget but worth considering. Sonny will post in the classifieds or on ebay. You might see if some one has a used one.