Thread: Tell me more about Rover RM75 Mando

I play guitar and violin, and have been cross-polinating for years. The mandolin is a natural middle point, as a viol with double strings and frets. And, perhaps it's the sound I've been trying to get too all these years. Problem is that I'm low on funds. I have champagne taste and a beer budget. The F5 or Collings or Orca are just going to have to wait. In fact, the best way for me to get there is to demonstate some proficiency on a cheaper model. I haven't played the Rover, but the comments here have been encouraging. I didn't like the quality or set-up of China-made Fenders, etc., that I've seen, though a good shop would fix it. So how do these Rovers sound? The name, I guess, implies Dawg. I'm not expecting Loar here, but does Rover have fleas?

i've played a couple of them, and they sound pretty good for the money. if you just gotta have that scroll, it's a good way to go. the fit and finish is a little lacking, and, depending on where you buy it, you might have to have a pro set up done (the ones i've played were at greg boyd's, and they only keep the good ones they get, and they give them a complete set up before they put them up for sale). i think that there would be alot of difference between one of those and the ones you see on ebay.
    my personal feeling is that you'll get alot more mando for the money if you forgo the scroll, but to each their own.
    good luck, john
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

Thanks. Appreciate the input. So you're basically telling me that the F shape does not add to the sound quality. I want something that's playable and sounds good for the money, and could surely spend less for an A over an F. What would you recommend to someone with broad musical tastes, related musical experience, who wanted to start playing mando seriously without breaking the bank?

Right now, I don't think you can get a better sounding A for less money than the RM-75s are selling for. Yes, these mandos
    are a little rough in the finish dept., but the tone and volume is great. Saga boasts that they are shop adjusted, but when they ship the bridge,it is packed neatly in the compartment of the case which makes setup at the store a necessity. The A style Rovers are not of the same quality. Perhaps they are made in another factory. I don't know. I don't think you can go wrong with one. I was recently at a music store that had Morgan Monroes and Michael Kelly's. IMHO I thought the Rover was head and shoulders above both of the other brands. I don't think you can go wrong with one!

Registered User El Rey del Mando's Avatar

I play a 99 Gibson F5G that sounds great and Jan.96 Flatiron artist (MT.built)I needed this rover like a hole in the head.I have 5 mandos but I had to try one of these.I was going to experemant with it.Funny,when I got it and heard it,I thought I would play it some before I tore it up.It was LOUD right out of the box with light gauge strings on it.I put a set of J74s on it,Raised the action, and let it rip.You won't believe the sound of this $250.00 Instrument.Now,this thing dosen't sound like my Gibson or Flatiron but it sounds good.It has tone bars,and if you beat the devil out of it for a while I'm sure it will serve you real well.If your present mando sounds like tin with no bass responce or volume,try one.The people you live with will notice instantly what a pain in the butt listening to someone practicing mandolin can be.

El Rey

Thank you. This has been very helpful.