Thread: Tabedit

hillbilly lion tamer Wilbur James's Avatar

Default Tabedit

Is tab edit worth the price? What are your experiences with the system, I am curious.
    Dignity, Respect and Love, for who they are, not what they are.

Default Re: Tabedit

It's worth the price just to support the continued development of the software (including the free viewers on the various platforms).

As for the software itself, as with any notation input software, there are advantages and disadvantages of using a GUI to enter notes on a stave. For me, it is far easier to write out something in ABC format (text based) and then import it into the program.

Once the score is in the program, changing keys and/or instrumentation couldn't be easier.
    Pete Braccio

"The Rules: Play nice and don't run with scissors"
    http://www.braccio.me
    Check out my web site for:
    Jack Tottle music files
    BBC Virtual Session files
    O'Neill's PDFs
    ITM Tunebooks, and more

The free viewer is all you would ever need to play all sorts of music .tef files available for download from a number of tablature sites. However, if you want to input tunes from sheet music, .abc files, or your own compositions you will need the full version which goes for $60. This is because you can only input about 16 bars in the free version/viewer. The full version is way worth it to me as I have input about 6-7 dozen files that I use daily for practicing FFcP excersizes, scales, songs etc.. I did use the free version for 9 months or a year just collecting songs already available as .tef files.

Scott

Thanks, I downloaded the free version, is there a way to view a tab file before downloading it?

No. To see it on your computer, you have to download it. Picture, audio, text document. If you can see it, you downloaded it.

If you mean preview a paid version before buying it, that would be up to the seller. Some may have incomplete pages or something similar for free. Then buy the whole thing later.

Tom

Yes!. Well, once the free viwer (TefView) is installed on your computer, you can open any number of tabulature files (in .tef format and a few others as well i think) and play them through without actually saving the files. You will only want to save the ones that appeal to you after you have played a bit first. There are often multiple arrangements of a well known tune to pick from. Check out the Cafe's collection of TableEdit files, and also check out the AllTabs website. There are many others.

Technically speaking, it may be that West Slope is correct in that you may have downloaded the file if you are able to open it while viewing the Tab sites list of files that are available. But if you don't save it, then the viewer will lose the file as soon as you open another file.

Scott

Thats true, I lose the file when i restart my mac, Im new to this computer stuff, how do you keep the selection permanently?

I used the free version for a while, but I finally bought the paid version. Advantages of the paid version are that it has some better print and recording capability. I also think the effort is worth supporting. In addition, for paid users their their tech help guy is pretty responsive.

I am running into some limitations with it, though. I am thinking about moving up to Sibelius First. Can't afford Sibelius 7.