Thread: Best repair option for cracked top .

Default Best repair option for cracked top .

Well its taken me several days to overcome the fustration with the event that damaged the mandolin that Jack Obrien built for me in the mid 80's. I asked around here in the SW chicago burbs for a qualified repairperson and am aware of Dale Ludewig. What I'm trying to determine is what really should be done ? One of our local music stores referred a violin person but after his assessment of the damage I feel I need a better info on the correct course of action before making a decision. I understand cracks are inevitable part of an instruments life.

The crack is located about a 1/4 " inboard of the base tone bar. There is a small depression above the visable crack the extends about 3/4 " above the visual end of the break. Inside there are a couple of extremely small splinters near the main impact point.

I need to answer these questions .

Is repairing the best for the instrument and if so does the back need to be removed to properly cleat the crack? I understand that I could it repaired , see hows things go and if so replace the top at a later time if the repair fails but if it needs a top then its back to Jack. It has a wounderful balanced voice and Jack had mentioned the top was carved from some 100+ year old european spruce he acquired decades ago.

What time frame could be expected for the repair ? How does humidity, adhesives and such play into the repair ?

Thanks for your help in advance . Now I must go back and dig out the old Washburn and suffer through my penance . Hopefully I can get the OBrien back before I'm tempted to find another mandolin to replace the Washburn.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1016.JPG 
Views:	270 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	83680
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00055.JPG 
Views:	255 
Size:	342.2 KB 
ID:	83679  

Default Re: Best repair option for cracked top .

No need to remove the top, that crack isn't too bad, and if properly repaired, there will likely be a slight "battle scar" on the top but no structural problem. Regardless of what condition an instrument is in, proper humidity is important, so it applies here. It should be kept at 40% to 50% relative humidity until it is repaired, and then for the rest of it's life just like any other instrument.
    That's about all I can say from the pictures and description, but the sooner the better for the repair. A competent repair person will evaluate it and make a decision on how to proceed.

Just a follow up. I'd like to thank Dale Ludewig here on the Cafe for his efforts in repairing the top and giving the mandolin a little tune up , (new tail piece and a setup) . It sounds great and fingers effortlessly. It great to have it back home again .

Thanks Dale !!!!!!!

I always enjoy follow up pics of the victims after the return from the hospital.
    Hughes F-5 #1
    Hughes A model #1
    1922 Gibson A-2
    1958 Gibson A-5

That's a nice mandolin; Jimmy Gaudreau used to play a custom O'Brien model.
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

Yep, that would have been a fairly easy repair. Dale is certainly a great guy for that kind of repair. It's good to have someone like Dale in Northern Illinois. When I lived there many moons ago we had no luthier that I was aware of. That is what got me started. Glad to know Dale and that he is there!
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest