Thread: Tenor on King of Bluegrass

Default Tenor on King of Bluegrass

Who sang the tenor harmony on Jimmy Martin's "King of Bluegrass"? Or were there different singers on different cuts? For all I know, it might very well be a compilation album. (I've been listening to it on Spotify, and they date it as 2004, but that could be a reissue date.) I'll try and find the answer myself (using my almost nonexistent internet search skills), but in the meantime, I figured you guys might know.

Thanks!
    Mitch Russell

Default Re: Tenor on King of Bluegrass

Alright, so my exhaustive (5 min?) search turned up that it is indeed a compilation pulled from his Decca recordings. The cuts that really caught my ear (harmony-wise) were "God Guide Our Leader's Hands" and his version of "What Would You Give In Exchange".
    Mitch Russell

Paul Williams sang tenor and played mandolin on both of those Decca recordings.

Aha! Thanks, that was my guess, but I had absolutely no info to back it up. Much appreciated! I've been on Jimmy Martin binge on Spotify all day.
    Mitch Russell

Love Paul's singing and mandolin playing on all those old Jimmy Martin records. Not sure if it's on that compilation but check out the songs "What Was I Supposed To Do" and "Deep River," they feature Paul on lead vocal but were released under Jimmy's name, great stuff.