Thread: Caterina Lichtenberg

Default Caterina Lichtenberg

Has anybody bought Caterina Lichtenberg 's Homespun Tape DVD or downloaded it? If so could they give a breakdown of what's on there please' There's a few excerpts on Youtube but not enough to show what's what. Homespun doesn't give any details at all. It would be interesting to hear what complete tunes she teaches and how advanced or otherwise the DVD is. I'm an intermediarish player so would it be a valuable acquisition for me (I don't actually play that much classical stuff, I admit, but I am interested in finding out more)?

Homespun Music Instruction

Default Re: Caterina Lichtenberg

Quote Originally Posted by ald View Post
    Has anybody bought Caterina Lichtenberg 's Homespun Tape DVD or downloaded it? If so could they give a breakdown of what's on there please' There's a few excerpts on Youtube but not enough to show what's what. Homespun doesn't give any details at all. It would be interesting to hear what complete tunes she teaches and how advanced or otherwise the DVD is. I'm an intermediarish player so would it be a valuable acquisition for me (I don't actually play that much classical stuff, I admit, but I am interested in finding out more)?
    Hi,
    We have a description on our website here. The DVD starts at a very basic level but Caterina moves ahead reasonably quickly and also teaches some more advanced techniques. Personally, I think it's a wonderful lesson and it's filled with new ideas and playing tips for mandolinists who already play bluegrass and other less formal styles. She shows several pieces, including some Bach and Beethoven. I don't think you could go wrong, but I'd love to hear other feedback.

I just downloaded it. VERY impressed and eating it up so far. She's already demonstrated some of what goes into that amazing tone she gets. Her explanations are clear and straightforward and the material is balanced and plentiful - you get a lot for a modest price. The video quality really lets you see what she is doing (the dark background is especially effective). For Caterina to "bottle" some of her magic like this is a pretty huge gift to classical players but also to those who, like me, don't necessarily play a lot of classical repertoire and yet really aspire to emulate her sound and musicality, and to understand some of the techniques and background. It's been beautifully done. For those of us who can't spend the next 4 years as her students in Wuppertal, this is great! I don't know anything like it out there. Thanks, Homespun.
    *mandolin mind, beginner mind*

"I just downloaded it. VERY impressed and eating it up so far. She's already demonstrated some of what goes into that amazing tone she gets. Her explanations are clear and straightforward and the material is balanced and plentiful - you get a lot for a modest price."

I agree with Amy. The material is very well presented, the sound is excellent, and it is a very good overiew of basic classical technique from the modern German perspective.

Some time ago the company Plucked String issued a two-volume VHS on classical mandolin technique by Getrud Weyhofen with her at-the-time husband Michael Troster. IMHO, the Weyhofen videos are more comprehensive than the Lichtenberg but the fundamental approach is, of course, virtually identical (and it is really a matter of taste which of these two players one might prefer). In any case, the comparison is moot because Plucked String went out of the business with the death of its owner, Norman Levine, and the few remaining copies of the Weyhofen only show up, if at all, on Ebay.

I do hope that that Homespun issues a volume 2 that focuses on more advanced repertoire, such as some of the modern works written for Caterina or on ensemble issues (as was the case with the Weyhofen). For now, though, Homespun has the market to itself.
    Robert A. Margo

Blog Entries

I bought the video just based on the information here. And I am happy I did. She is very clear and thorough. An excellent instructor. There are techniques that will help any player in a huge way, esp. in sound quality. I hope Happy Traum produces more from her.

Arpeggio cross picking next? Can't wait!

In the mean time I'm working on improving my awful e string sound. Thanks.

is it ok for beginners ?
    ian

Yes - it is okay for beginners. The DVD is great and worth every penny. And Caterina is charming and exhibits absolutely no signs of classical snobbery which I really appreciate.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by matthew71 View Post
    Yes - it is okay for beginners. The DVD is great and worth every penny. And Caterina is charming and exhibits absolutely no signs of classical snobbery which I really appreciate.
    Just so I know, what are the signs of "classical snobbery"?

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Of course, you also have the reversed snobbery that non-classical folk have towards classical folk. I wish we could all just get on.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    Just so I know, what are the signs of "classical snobbery"?
    Mick
    I love classical music, but I do think this is a big problem which has and continues to affect the growth of classical music. I can name a few of the more prevalent signs in my opinion:

1. A general condescension toward those who are not classical music fans, most especially those who enjoy "soft" or "commercial" classical music. "That's not REAL classical music".

2. An intolerance toward, and an intense criticism of, anyone who is not deeply "in the know" about classical music. "You mean you don't know what a Köchel number is?" (said while rolling one's eyes)

3. An inability to find ANY value in non-classical music. "It a VIOLIN, NOT a fiddle. Why on earth is she playing it like that?...What a waste of a wonderful instrument!"

4. The deep and unalterable belief that the sum total of all the world's great music has been written by dead white guys.

Oh, and I completely agree that Caterina Lichtenberg in no way displays these (or any other) signs of classical music snobbery. She is a Class Act all the way, and a wonderful representative of all that is great about classical music and its appreciation.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Thanks, Ed. Been all around this world and never came across a smidgeon of what you describe. (I remember talking at length with Carlo Aonzo about how much he dug Jethro.) It would be a slice of pie to change a few words in your list to reflect a quite prevalent snobbery here: "that's not REAL bluegrass music" for instance. I won't even venture into the area of instrument choice.

However, the kind of knee-jerk defensiveness at perceived 'elitism' and 'corn pone snobbery' that matthew71 describes is a powerfully debilitating force in this country and well represented on this board.

I'll let it go. I'd hate to spoil a lovely thread honoring Ms. Lichtenberg by inducing a rash of people to weigh in with anecdotes of their profoundly ego-bruising experiences at the hand of classical players (though like Quasimodo I have a hunch) you've painted a careful and detailed image of a red herring. Some folks grind their axes because they enjoy the sound of it.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

Blog Entries

Mick, thanks for your response.

I agree with everything you say, especially that snobbery in classical music is the exception and not the rule, and that snobbery can be found among fans of other genres of music, particularly what I'll call "niche" genres. I do, however, think that snobbery has negatively impacted classical music appreciation.

One thing I would like to say is that, in my experience, snobbery is much more prevalent among the 'fans' of a genre of music than it is among the musicians who perform within the genre. I don't think I've EVER experienced snobbery displayed by a classical musician. So called 'fans' of classical music, however, that's a different story.

I also agree that it is unfair to hijack a thread honoring a great performer like Ms. Lichtenberg.

I think we agree about this more than we disagree.
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

Highly recommended. I enjoyed Caterina's presentation and feel this video will benefit any player interested in improving his/her classical mandolin skills.
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas

Blog Entries

Below is a sample from the DVD under discussion here.
    I still maintain that she has the best technique I've seen.
    Oh, and that mandolin of hers sounds just incredible. That's a German-style bowlback, right?

Think Hippie Thoughts...

I believe I may be one of the signs (or is that one of the four horseman?) of classical snobbery. As such, I am a fan of Caterina's work and have both Gertrud's old VHS cassettes from Plucked String. A tip o'th' pint to all my fellows here. Cheers! Carry on.

Yes, Ed, it is indeed a German-style bowlback. She used to play a Seiffert, but I believe she now uses a Woll.

Eugene, you may think of yourself as a 'classical snob', but you're OUR classical snob and with that comes carte blanche. Nice to see you around again, bro.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

I have just had a dvd delivered and have watched a little , i am glad i bought it. Thanks for the recommendations

Ian

I have nine Homespun instructional DVDs. This is by far the best produced. The camera work is at least equal to, and usually is better, than on the other DVDs, and the editing is cleaner. Some of the other DVDs seem to have been taped in one take, with all the imprecisions that implies. On this DVD, either multiple takes were made to get each segment right, or Lichtenberg has honed her instructional techniques to the point that she gets everything right on the first take.

More importantly, the pedagogy on this DVD is far superior to that of the other DVDs. There is an "argument" to her presentation, and she follows its logic. There is no sense that this is a patchwork offering. You actually can learn things from her, in every segment. I can't say the same for some of the other Homespun offerings. (The two Sam Bush DVDs that I have, for example, are close to useless for players below the advanced level. Bush quickly plays something and says, in essence, "See!", expecting you to catch everything on your own. Lichtenberg shows you exactly what she is doing and explains why.)

Lichtenberg's extended and very clear discussion about pick-holding angles, for example, is the best I've seen; she explains when to hold the pick at 45 degrees to the face of the mandolin and when at 90 degrees. She shows how to get pure, untwangy notes from the strings. This is information that any mandolinist, whether classical or bluegrass, can profit from. Much of what she teaches is at the V-8 level ("I could've had a V-8!"): once she explains it, it seems obvious, and you wonder why you've been missing it all along on your own.

The video is so well done that I hope it is the first of half a dozen.
    Brian Dean Baroque Mandolino
    Brian Dean Roman (Embergher) Bowlback
    Nyberg Octave Mandolin
    Phoenix Neoclassical Mandolin
    Lapini Bowlback
    Selkie Strings Micro Mandolin
    Sparling Pocket Mandolin
    Stoneman Backpacking Mandolin

Caterina also has a beautiful replica of a Baroque mandolin, with extra strings, that I've seen her perform with. She used a quill..... as a plectrum....and it sounded fabulous in her hands!

I do not agree about the Sam Bush DVDs. I am not an advanced player but I found the DVDs most instructive. Tabs are supplied so he doesn't have to spell out every tiny detail. They are for intermediate players and there is a dire shortage of materials for people who can already play and wish to go onto the next level. Hence my initial question about Caterina's book - I know how to play the mandolin and can play some classical pieces but I would like to play some more sophisticated ones.

Quote Originally Posted by ald View Post
    I do not agree about the Sam Bush DVDs. I am not an advanced player but I found the DVDs most instructive. Tabs are supplied so he doesn't have to spell out every tiny detail. They are for intermediate players and there is a dire shortage of materials for people who can already play and wish to go onto the next level. Hence my initial question about Caterina's book - I know how to play the mandolin and can play some classical pieces but I would like to play some more sophisticated ones.
    I accept your differing perception of the Sam Bush DVDs, but I hold to my observation that the Lichtenberg DVD is better produced. The two artists may play equally skillfully, in different genres, but I think her pedagogic skills are superior to his.

That said, hers isn't a DVD intended to give instruction on playing particular high-level pieces. Its strength lies in what she teaches about the little things. Striking pure notes is more crucial in classical music than in bluegrass, for example; you can get by with or can hide the occasional buzz in bluegrass, even if unaccompanied, but not so much in classical. That kind of thing.
    Brian Dean Baroque Mandolino
    Brian Dean Roman (Embergher) Bowlback
    Nyberg Octave Mandolin
    Phoenix Neoclassical Mandolin
    Lapini Bowlback
    Selkie Strings Micro Mandolin
    Sparling Pocket Mandolin
    Stoneman Backpacking Mandolin

I saw Caterina and Mike Marshall at the Santa Cruz Baroque Festival a couple of months back and I would agree her technique is amazing and one to study.

About music snobbery, they had an amusing exchange. At one point, Mike took a minute to explain the mandolin to the crowd. He explained it is tuned the same as a violin, Beethoven and others composed music for it and so on. He held up his Gibson mandolin and briefly explained its history. At that point Caterina held up her bowlback and said very good naturedly, "This is a real mandolin!"

this is a real mandolin - what a quote , perfect

Ha! But her bowlback (even her modern and idealized barockmandoline) is several generations and construction features removed from ancestral originals to bear the name. Aren't they all real mandolins if some group of somebodies is calling them that?