Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The fun of it all :-)

Default The fun of it all :-)

Dear mando-friends, worldwide,

A mere few moments ago I delivered my funnest yet, jolliest yet composition, written expressly for mandolinist Brian Oberlin and bassist Josh Feinberg. It is called Mojita — a grammatically feminized version of the popular, Caribbean cocktail. Only two or three people around the world would fully understand the allusion...

I hope the recipients have a ball with it. And that, of course, is the intention: to have a ball, to enjoy, to communicate all the fun and joy that this piece is to the audience.

As usual, Brian and Josh have premiere rights; after they premiere this little duo, it will become widely available. Much to my delight, mandolin-and-bass duos are emerging here and there; writing for such an instrumental combination has curiously, yet delightfully fused my professional and amateur personae. Who knew?

I hope Brian and Josh enjoy this piece; once they do, I have no doubt that they will convey that joy to their audiences, too. And that's what composers live for...

Cheers to collaborating mandolinists and bassists, and to all,

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Default Re: The fun of it all :-)

When is the premiere, Victor. Now you got me curious.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    When is the premiere, Victor. Now you got me curious.
    Yeah me too.

Really liked those CD's Brian Oberlin released last year. I'd say he is the perfect choice for something fun and jolly.

Well... I may have delivered the score, but of course have no desire to pressure my colleagues into any fixed date. (On other occasions, yes, the performance date may well precede the commission.) But in this case the date will be announced, eventually, by the performers themselves.

So I will eagerly join you in looking forward to that date.

Cheers,

Victor

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vkioulaphides View Post
    A mere few moments ago I delivered my funnest yet, jolliest yet composition, written expressly for mandolinist Brian Oberlin and bassist Josh Feinberg.
    I can't wait to hear it.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Makes two of us...

Three...

Four.....

I was deeply honored (and quite amused) by the turn of events yesterday: first, upon receiving the score, Brian wrote back, somewhat apologetically, letting me know that he and Josh would not be able to get to this piece until mid-April, due to their busy schedule of performing their current, pre-existent repertoire. I replied quite frankly that, having spent much of my career as an opera-composer, I'm used to waiting for, oh... about a year or so between the delivery of the score and the first readings; so who am I to complain about a month or so of waiting?

Later on the same day, however, Brian wrote back to say that they simply couldn't stand it, having this brand-new baby sitting there, asking for their attention. So it turns out that they'll read through it sooner rather than later, perhaps next time they meet, a bit before their actual performance. And what composer could ask for a greater compliment, or a deeper gratification than this eagerness to play through his work?

Oh, I have no doubt that these two fine young musicians will rock the stage with this little piece. With their fluency in a variety of styles, they are truly the ideal duo to make this score sparkle. It is both edgy and laid back— just like Brian and Josh. It requires sharp syncopations and crisp rhythms, but at the same time needs to have that "Don't worry, be happy" character— it is, after all, a reggae (laid out, of course, on the "landscape" of classical mandolin writing, coupled with jazzy/folksy bass-playing).

Hopefully the fun I intended will be shared, far and wide...

Cheers,

Victor

Is the Bass part adaptable for mandocello? Mark Davis recently had an informal meeting with us (Los Angeles Mandolin Orchestra) and he spoke glowingly of your compositions. We are still fledglings but we are ambitious fledglings...

Blog Entries

I think whether or not its mandolin based, the world needs more serious music that is jolly and fun.

I am tired of dragging friends to concerts saying, "no, no you will have fun, relax, you will enjoy it" knowing that the chances are often slim.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I think whether or not its mandolin based, the world needs more serious music that is jolly and fun.
    Agreed, for sure. But actually, Victor's other music has much of that character anyway. Maybe it is because I know him and appreciate his warmth and sense of humor, but I do think that those characteristics are reflected in his work as well.

For those not aware, Victor has made available quite a few pieces on this page for your playing pleasure.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Thank you, Jim, for your most kind words. *blush*

The bass-part of this piece is veeeery idiomatic for the double bass (the instrument I play for a living, and therefore know most intimately), constantly switching between bowed notes, "regular" pizzicato, left-hand pizzicato, even using the neck of the bass as a percussion instrument!

So in this case I'm afraid it is too bass-specific to be adaptable to anything else. That said, some day I will surely also write something for mandolin and mandocello ;-)

So stay tuned, as the saying goes...

Cheers,

Victor

I too, add my enthusiasm for hearing this piece. Fortunately, I may be one of the lucky ones who will get to see this performed live,either at the debut performance or a subsequent one.
    MLT
    Oregon Mandolin Orchestra
    Classical Mandolin Society of America
    Labraid Cytole

Good morning, one and all.

Mojita is now available to one and all, upon request. If you want a copy of the score and parts (in the familiar, PDF-via-email fashion), please feel free to drop me a note via the Café's messenger, or simply via email. My address is the same user name as here, at earthlink, dot net.

After that... rock the house!

Cheers to one and all,

Victor

Great, Victor!

Thanks in advance!

Best Alex.

Hello, dear friend!

I will send it to you as soon as I get home tonight. You will need the right *drink*, too... ;-)

Cheers,

Victor

Alex, you are an expert (among other things) in the use of emoticons. Eating popcorn, drinking coffee and playing frantically the guitar/mandolin or whatever that is. !!!!

Put me also on your recipient list, VK. A good excuse to get together with one of my bass playing friends.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Oh, and you know I wish to be on that list as well, oh great one! I have a fabulous bass student that I know would enjoy something new!
    KristinEliza

Facebook

Will do, promptly! Hey, you never know, this piece may come handy for that local honky-tonk gig ;-)

Cheers (Mojito-in-hand),

Victor

Is it too much to ask for you to send the mojito along with it? I get off work at 3:30!
    KristinEliza

Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by KristinEliza View Post
    Is it too much to ask for you to send the mojito along with it? I get off work at 3:30!
    Or at least supply the recipe?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Faxable pizza and e-champagne remain two of the most crucial, still pending achievements of modern technology ;-) Same goes for pdf-Mojitos, alas...

Cheers,

Victor

Thank you, Victor, for being so generous to give this joyful piece for free.

You are very welcome! Please, however, remember to leave a handsome tip for the bar(wo)man who mixed your drink ;-)

Cheers,

Victor