Thread: 2006 Altman # 55

Default 2006 Altman # 55

Red spruce,Varnish Great mandolin.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Altman Front.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	138.9 KB 
ID:	85013
    John Dudeck

hillbilly lion tamer Wilbur James's Avatar

Default Re: 2006 Altman # 55

I really like the finish on that mandolin, My Altman F5 has a similar dark finish to it, I am curious about its number though because mine is number 57 and it was made in 2010, that is the number Mr Altman gave me. I love my Altman and the more I play it the more it changes, the sound is incredible. There is a video of mine on the you tube Altman channel, Herschells new mandolin, I was lucky enough to get this one after Herschell acquired his Altman Loar series mandolin.
    Dignity, Respect and Love, for who they are, not what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur James View Post
    I really like the finish on that mandolin, My Altman F5 has a similar dark finish to it, I am curious about its number though because mine is number 57 and it was made in 2010, that is the number Mr Altman gave me. I love my Altman and the more I play it the more it changes, the sound is incredible. There is a video of mine on the you tube Altman channel, Herschells new mandolin, I was lucky enough to get this one after Herschell acquired his Altman Loar series mandolin.
    Mine is # 55
    John Dudeck

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

The confusion with the mandolin numbers relates to the system Bob Altman has used in the past and perhaps still uses.

He (at least in the past) has numbered his instruments consecutively including BOTH mandolins and guitars.

Last time I looked, you could add 35 to the mandolin number and get the "instrument number". That probably has changed.

Examples: Mine is #30 mandolin and has 6507 as its serial number, indicating 65th instrument, finished in 2007.
    The Torch & Wire currently in the classifieds is mandolin #51 and has the serial number 8609, 86th instrument, finished in 2009.

So "instrument" #55 (perhaps "mandolin number" 20?) could be finished in 2006 and also "mandolin" 57 (possibly serial #9210???) could be finished in 2010. That would suggest that Bob built 37 mandolins within a 4 year period?

Maybe Bob will weigh in and clarify.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

I believe your explanation adds up, my number 57 has the serial number 9210, and is dated 8-19-10.

The number inside of mine reads 5506 I took it to mean the 55th mandolin made in 06. I hope to be talking to Bob by email soon and will let you know.
    John Dudeck

Quote Originally Posted by Gibsonman View Post
    The number inside of mine reads 5506 I took it to mean the 55th mandolin made in 06. .........
    I guarantee that's not what it means.
    Bob works hard, but not THAT hard.

Yours should have been about his 20th mandolin.
    Phil

Phil that is interesting. Do you think that is good or bad?? So if I am reading this right he has made about 100 mandolins right?
    John Dudeck

Phil that is interesting. Do you think that is good or bad?? So if I am reading this right he has made about 100 mandolins right?
    Yeah. I think that's close. I'd take a wild guess that there are 80-some Altman mandolins in existence. I could be guessing a little low. Bob's been pretty busy lately!

Now, the "do you think that is good or bad?" part of the question. I'm not sure exactly what you're asking. I think Bob had a rapidly ascending learning curve and got pretty good at building really early on. In fact, (shhhhh.....) I actually like the voicing of his mandolins several years ago a little better than his "Loar-voiced" recent instruments. (That's just me.)

So I guess I'd say,'that's good'! But I bet if you played his 80th mandolin, you'd think it sounded pretty great, too! (I LOVE the voice of Bob's instruments.)
    So it's all good. I'd love to have a new Altman to use when my old Altman gets tired!
    Phil

No matter how many he has built, I have yet to hear one that is not great, I was just curious about the number system, many times I will see an Altman mandolin appear for sale and the seller will give you "the number of the mandolin" I do know it can be misleading from just reading the lable inside the mandolin and Phils explanation does make sense, as far as how many Altman mandolins are out there, Only Mr. Altman knows.......

Thanks guys this is interesting. I will let you know what I find out when I talk to Mr. Altman.
    John Dudeck

Well Phil you are right. My mandolin 5506 was Bob's 17 th. mandolin. I also found out that mine is not red spruce top, but as Bob put it killer Engelman spruce. I have yet to find out how many mandolins he has made to date. Anybody else have one with Engelman spruce ??
    John Dudeck

Well Phil you are right. My mandolin 5506 was Bob's 17 th. mandolin. I also found out that mine is not red spruce top, but as Bob put it killer Engelman spruce. I have yet to find out how many mandolins he has made to date. Anybody else have one with Engelman spruce ??
    nothing wrong with engelmann.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id3B4...ayer_embedded#!
    Last edited by mtucker; Apr-18-2012 at 12:42pm. Reason: youtube added

I have heard some of the engleman voiced mandolins, they are great also! I believe he has made some with both Engleman and red spruce two piece tops, have not heard one of them though, Im sure they are great as well.

Oh don't worry this mandolin is one find sounding and very loud mandolin. I really don't know how it could be better.
    John Dudeck

Well, yeah!

Bob told me the other day that he thinks he's at 65 or 66 mandolins now.
    My mandolin #30 is one of the ones with half red spruce (bass side) and half Engelmann spruce. Sounds just like the totally Engelmann according to Bob.
    Sure sounds great to me!
    Phil

Can not go wrong with an Altman!

Bob sent me a email today and said he has made 66 mandolins so far. So the # is 66
    John Dudeck