Thread: Orpheum Mandolin/Banjo

Default Orpheum Mandolin/Banjo

I have a recently acquired mandolin banjo that came with a perfectly good new head on it and in the process of restringing ,tweeking the bridge I left it alone on the bench and one of my cats walked across it. Ouch,it tore at the rim. What now ? I'm not seeing 10' heads on Stew Mac and I'm not sure I want to do it myself. Any thoughts?? Also I think the original tuner posts were very short like old Gibson oval holes. These replacements seem too tall since the peghead is fairly thin. Any sources for better replacements on these vintage tuners? The specs on Golden Age don't look significantly different.

Default Re: Orpheum Mandolin/Banjo

Check out Elderley Instruments Website.

Go to Instrument Parts, then to Banjo Parts and then select Heads. They claim to have Remo heads in a large range of sizes.

If I'm not mistaken, The Orpheum brand was made by the Lange Company who also made Paramount banjos. Love to see some pix of your instrument.
    Visit www.fox-guitars.com - cool Gibson & Epiphone history and more. Vintage replacement mandolin pickguards

Elderly would be a good bet. Also Bob Smakula in WV has a large stock -- even mentions 10" -- and specializes in banjo restorations.

You didn't mention whether the original was a skin head or not. If it is make sure the include the flesh hoop if you give it to someone to install.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Thanks for all the info. I did find them at Elderly but Bob's site was even more helpful. To pfox14: I've never posted pics on the forum before. Is it hard ? If you email me at stevemlang@hotmail.com ,I've got got them all in one email I could forward to you.

I believe the Orpheum has a tone ring that is set at the inside diameter of the pot, rather than coming right out to the outside diameter. I may be wrong on this. That will mean that it will affect the "Crown Height" of the head if you use a Remo.

If you are going with a natural skin it won't matter, they are just stretched in place.

If you go for a Remo head, I would recommend that you get a Fyberskin head rather than a Mylar head. Tone will be more suited for the mandolin banjo. Similar to a Calfskin or Goatskin head. The natural heads are the best for sound and if you live in an area that has consistant humidity they would work well. They change pitch with changes in humidity, however.