Thread: Anyone know the name of the Tarantella?

Default Anyone know the name of the Tarantella?

I learned it from a cassete tape that had various tunes and no information.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tarantella #3.pdf  

Default Re: Anyone know the name of the Tarantella?

I am not all that good at reading without an instrument and hearing what it sounds like. Luckily i am going home for lunch so I will take a look. More than likely it is called Tarantella and that may be all the common name it has. These are generally folk dance tunes and the original name may be lost to history.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

That is a real fun one -- I want to learn it, too. You have no clue what or who is playing on that cassette? What is the instrumentation? Are there any other recognizable tunes? As I said, it might not be named more than Tarantella on the play list anyway.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

That isnt it. Pretty splashy, but not it. My understanding is the term "Tarantella" refers to an Italian folk dance and/or the music composed for it. There are hundreds of these pieces, maybe even thousands. When I was working up material for an Italian restaurant gig last winter I tried out dozens of them, and it seemed they were usually named "Tarantella #X by (composer)." When I settled on the ones for my gig that's how I titled them. (Actually, I didn't have to use a number; I ended up using just a few, and never more than one example of any dance by any composer.) Their proper name won't matter until I record an album - not planned in the foreseeable future.

Anyway, that isn't really answering the question, just illustrating what you are up against in identifying it.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

journey bear is correct, it is a style like a jig or reel is in ireland, scotland, etc. here in the US everyone thinks of the one they play at weddings and in movies. a tarantella is music composed for dancing in 6/8 time. The style of music goes back to ancient greece and is actually very popular in Argentina (there are a lot of Italians in Argentina).
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

I was just adding mandolin content. I saw lots of different songs and dances with that name.

Jim,
    I was given a cassette copy from a fellow who used the music for a dance group in Madison Wi.
    And that was several years ago.
    Mostly accordion instruments or flute type instruments.
    I play it every Saturday night ( usually the first tune) at a Neapolitan restaurant (Cafe' Porta Alba) in Madison.

thanks for that -- my husband keeps a guitar by the computer and he played it to see what it sounded like and we both liked it, so printed it out.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Sheri Mignano Crawford Mandophile's Avatar

I just received wonderful manuscript (+29 pp) of tarantellas from Sicily. They are all numbered. Not uncommon. I promise to look it over soon to see if your mystery tarantella exists or has a comparable match in the book. My guess is it is yours is a generic tarantella. Authorship is almost always unidentified. Sheri

Sheri,
    Please post a favorite from your new found manuscript.
    thanks