Thread: Gibson -- still dead in the water.

Blog Entries

Default Gibson -- still dead in the water.

Still no formal charges for either the 2009 or 2011 confiscation of tone woods at Gibson. According to this piece Gibson exhausted their supplies of ebony & rosewood and in December, 2011 started using composites for their instruments? I suppose Gibson per se will not fold over this as they have other products lines but will it mean the end of OAI and guitars/mandolins?

http://video.foxnews.com/v/155876964...ylist_id=86858

I suggest this video be considered FYI only. Comments always turn political and get sideways with the rules.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Default Re: Gibson -- still dead in the water.

Bernie - we have been receiving a steady supply of Gibson mandolins. I assure you there are no composites in the mandolins we are getting. Shortage of supplies has slowed things down a little and has kept Gibson from producing lower end mandos but hopefully at some ppoint that will change and we'll at least see F9's and some A's again. I can also assure you that the quality of the mandolins is the most consistent quality that I have seen from any period in Gibson history.........both in fit / finish and sound. Dave Harvey knows what he is doing and takes great pride in the mandolins he puts his name on!
    Dennis Vance
    The Mandolin Store
    www.themandolinstore.com

Blog Entries

I don't think this board is an appropriate place to discuss pending legal cases by the Federal government.

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    I don't think this board is an appropriate place to discuss pending legal cases by the Federal government.
    True... Bernie does raise a legitimate question about future product availability. That's politically neutral.
    2003 Gibson F-9
    1998 Gibson Fern
    2003 Gibson Doyle Lawson
    2008 Gibson Master Model

It's been "pending" since 2009. No charges to date.

Let me see, I can basically buy any wood I need to build an instrument domestically, that is from sources where the wood is already in the US. If I can do that, then I would have to assume Gibson could as well. If Gibson is using composites then I would assume that's part of their business plan. They aren't going out of business because of this so to say they are dead in the water would probably be wrong. Much ado about not very much.

Blog Entries

The story says `Gibson ran out of wood in December', yet I have seen 2012 instruments with real wood ... is there actual facts being conveyed here?

I cannot find any actual new facts being added to the discussion by this link or discussion, excepting what TMS added.

Is a one sided retread of already known facts adding anything new?
    Last edited by Markus; Apr-13-2012 at 7:06am.

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    I respectfully disagree. This is news that affects the mandolin market and as far as I know no one here is part of the legal teams representing either side. It's classic First Ammendment stuff. The Newsfetcher on this site has addressed this case before. I think that as long as it does not degenerate into a political diatribe in violation of the posting guidelines, it is exactly what we should be discussing here. This is THE main mandolin discussion site, for heaven's sakes!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Mandolin Store View Post
    Bernie - we have been receiving a steady supply of Gibson mandolins. I assure you there are no composites in the mandolins we are getting. Shortage of supplies has slowed things down a little and has kept Gibson from producing lower end mandos but hopefully at some ppoint that will change and we'll at least see F9's and some A's again. I can also assure you that the quality of the mandolins is the most consistent quality that I have seen from any period in Gibson history.........both in fit / finish and sound. Dave Harvey knows what he is doing and takes great pride in the mandolins he puts his name on!
    Good to hear Dennis! Being a major seller of Gibson mandolins you are most directly knowledgable about this matter and in position to know. Likewise, from what see at my "distance" I do think Dave Harvey is a great asset to Gibson mandolins -- from several perspectives.

OTOH, I do think that one part of your response points to a potential risk to Gibson as to mandolin production if they do not see resloution soon.

For example, if entry level mandolin production (A-9's & F-9's) are being impacted it implies that Gibson is being forced to make production decisions.

I guess it boils down to can they sell enough higher end mandolins to justify the high quality workforce required to construct them?

I am not making or selling insturments for a living but in many kinds of businesses the entry level products provide the means for users (in this case mandolinists) to start using the company's products and to develop brand loyalty that will eventually see a percentange of them buying the more expensive models?

I hope you are right about it being resolved soon.

I do think the political aspects of this matter are possibly a factor in the matter but I suggested that this was not germane here because discussions always boil out of control. As to the matter of the source of information. What does that matter? Has it been three years since 2009 or not? -- have charges been filed or not? If there is anything in the video is factually incorrect then that would be a different matter.

But again that is not my concern in this thread -- my question was what will this mean to Gibson mandolins. It was good to hear from Dennis that there is a good supply albeit the higher end of the line.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

The subject is relevant and effect all of us. I doubt that there PAC-RIM counterparts are having the same problem with there regulatory agency's. A great American company trying to produce a good product. And also employing Americans, god forbid we should let that happen.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nickster60 View Post
    I doubt that there PAC-RIM counterparts are having the same problem with there regulatory agency's.
    I can type ebony mandolin fretboard into google and find quite a few suppliers who are willing to sell me them. In quantity if desired. I can buy a mando w/ ebony fretboards from every other mandolin maker in the USA.

Yet Gibson ran out?
    Have they heard of the internet?

Is another $5 in cost on a mandolin costing thousands going to bankrupt them?

What I see makes me wonder how they `ran out of wood in December'.

Blog Entries

Here we go...10, 9, 8, 7...
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Markus do you dislike Gibson? Seems like I spend less time on the cafe what has happened to this place.
    Weber Bitteroot Custom
    Eastman 905D 2 point
    Scott Cao 850
    Taylor NS34CE
    "You have to go out on a limb, that is where the fruit is"

Blog Entries

I think there are some who are determined to make the disucssion political so that it will be shut down.

As to the idea that Gibson who uses ebony and rosewood by the ton -- buy pieces off the internet? That's absurd.
    Bernie
    ____

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I usually leave content decisions to the moderator team. Never understood when a non-moderator interjects an opinion about topic relavence.

Never cared much about Gibson, however. . .

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    I usually leave content decisions to the moderator team. Never understood when a non-moderator interjects an opinion about topic relavence. f-d
    No problem, guess you'll have to cosider that as one of your life's little mysteries then?
    Bernie
    ____

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nickster60 View Post
    Markus do you dislike Gibson? Seems like I spend less time on the cafe what has happened to this place.
    I don't dislike Gibson at all.

I am aware they are being charged with illegal activity and I am also aware that no one is fully aware of all the facts of the case currently.

Given that, I strongly dislike their attempts to use media manipulation to tell an incomplete one-sided version

Blog Entries

This story is infotainment. It's not news.

If you're linking to Fox News, MSNBC, anything Rachel Maddow, Rush Limbaugh, Keith Olbermann or Glen Beck -- all peddling their political leanings there's a good chance it's going to get shut down. Get your extremism and political fix elsewhere please. This topic has and could be discussed appropriately but we will not host threads started with intent to create political stir.