Thread: Carpal Tunnel ~ the syndrome and the surgery....

Default Carpal Tunnel ~ the syndrome and the surgery....

I'm curious.... who among you have carpal tunnel syndrome, and who among you have had the surgery?

If you have the syndrome, but haven't had the surgery, what do you do to make living with it easier?

For those who had the surgery.... how was it? How long ago, and what kind of surgery? I know that they are always making medical advances.... and many surgeries have gotten easier to have, and easier to recover from! What was your recovery period like; how long did it keep you from playing? Most importantly... are you glad you had it? I know 20 years ago, many people you talked to that had had the surgery, wished they hadn't.

I've been living with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome for 20 years, but whatever busy things I've been doing with my hands these past few months, has REALLY made it flare up.... I hate having numb hands!

Default Re: Carpal Tunnel ~ the syndrome and the surgery....

Hi Barbara--I'm a long-time sufferer, although for the past 7-8 years since adopting my simple regimen I rarely suffer any more. I had the worst CTS symptoms of anyone I know--if I tied my shoe, turned the handle of a doorknob, screwdriver, or anything similar without extreme care, I could drop to my knees from the stabbing pain; the pain would abate after about 30 seconds, but render my wrists weak and increasingly more easily vulnerable througout the day and into the next.

I've been doing Iyengar yoga asanas and generic OTC B-complex vitamins...which makes my condition probably 90%-95% better. Takes about 2-3 weeks before it takes effect. Once or twice before when I stopped taking my vitamins for one reason or another, my symptoms flared up after just a few days, but reliably alleviated again after about 2 weeks after resuming. Similarly, if I lay off the yoga for a period of time my symptoms reliably manifest again, although not nearly so bad as when discontinuing B-vit complex

I believe such chronic problems in the extremities often derive from more systemic issues--such as overall posture, diet and nutrition. In my case, aside from diet, I corrected very poor posture habits through yoga. I always recommend addressing systemic issues first before considering more invasive approaches. Good luck!

3. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

My doctor had me get a brace to wear at night. It works well for me.

I had fought it for many years. I never felt much pain just my hands fell asleep alot and more recently lost hand strength. I would wear the braces and I would be able to sleep at night, but really could not play guitar because the hands would fall alseep. Then it started to effect playing the mandolin also. I went to a doctor and he was quite honest in the fact that any treatments like wearing braces and vitamins, or anti inflamatory only work while your using them, ie. if you wear the braces 24/7 get on a regiment of ibuprofen for a year, things could get better but soon as you stop the symptoms usually come back. So I had the surgery on February 22 an have not looked back. I had Endoscopic on both at the same time. I was able to use my hands right away and on March 8th was no restrictions at all. My strength is coming back. My hands have not fell alseep at all since. I am one happy camper and shredding notes like crazy. And is great to sleep without braces.

When I first got CT, I used the braces when I slept, and when I engaged in the activity that caused it, which was using a heavy vibrator/massager on my disabled husbands shoulders and back. When he died, I quit using THAT thing, and eventually, was able to quit wearing the braces. I also used ibuprophen... so much that I try NOT to use any NSAIDS unless I'm in dire pain....

Usually, playing the mando, in itself, doesn't cause a flare up... it's all the other things in life that I do, like gardening, mowing, painting, cleaning, etc... that do it. And recently, I've been busy doing those things, and even wearing the braces... I wake up with my hands numb!

I do take plenty of supplements, and try to avoid those foods that they say cause inflammation....

My mom had the surgery on both her wrists (she was a court reporter for a living) and one took and one didn't, no idea why the disparity (this was probably 15 years ago).

Personally, I was diagnosed with left-hand CTS about eight months ago or so (not the right wrist, surpisingly), the usual hand going numb playing mandolin and at one point it was so bad my hand would turn numb driving the car (the angle of my wrist on the steering wheel, apparently). I don't remember having any problem sleeping, but I was given a wrist brace for night and told to rely on otc anti-inflammatories as needed; at the same time, I was diagnosed with a Vitamin D deficiency (symptoms include muscle weakness) that was corrected with drugs. I modified how I held my mandolin (straight left wrist) and it pretty much went away about 3 months ago or so. I still get an occasional twinge, in which case I just don't play for a couple days. I haven't worn the wrist brace for about a month. So far, I seem to be holding pretty stable, and considering I type for a living and it wasn't affected by the CTS, I'm good with that. Odd that I apparently hold my hands perfectly straight for typing but wasn't for mandolin, eh? Now I'm having issues with osteo-arthritis, but that's a whole different thing.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

I don't have CT, but I work as a circulating nurse in a hospital OR and we do quite a few CT surgeries. Some are open and some are arthroscopic. Either method is quick with relatively few possible complications. One small incision, a couple of stitches.
    Assuming you and your Doc have done your due diligence and have tried all the non-surgical options, I think this simple surgery is worth considering.
    BTW-- what do you do for a living?You might have to limit certain activities for a while afterwards.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

mandolinist, Mixt Company D C Blood's Avatar

My wife had CT in both hands, both from her guitar playing over many years, and from her work which involved computer use. Finally got to where she decided to have the surgery, both arms at the same time. The surgery was very easy, lmaybe inch or two inch slits in each wrist, healed up very quickly, a matter of two weeks or so, and in a very short time she was back playing guitar again. She hasn't had any problems since, a couple of years later. She's been very happy with her results.
    D C Blood Mixt Company
    '96 Ratcliff Silver Eagle/Angel
    '09 Silverangel F5 distressed
    '09 Ratcliff A model distressed
    ..Blue Chip pick user...
    www.facebook.com/davidcblood
    www.facebook.com/silverangelmandolins
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?albumid=109 photo album url

After years as a clerk/typist, printer and hair stylist, I got carpal tunnel in both hands. I had the left hand done about three years ago, open surgery. At that time there were some restrictions on how much I could lift for six weeks. The hand healed fine but I put off doing the right hand. Finally last year the pain and numbness got so bad that I gave in and had the right hand done, same doctor and again open surgery. This time there were no restrictions. The numbness persisted for a while, but eventually went away completely. Now both hands are fine, no pain or lingering symptoms. I can flail away on mandolin and guitar. I should have had both hands done sooner.

Had the CT surgery done in both hands last year. The right one was done in Oct and the left was down in Dec. I was playing even when I had the stitches in, so it was a real relief playing after they were out.

I would strongly urge you to get the surgery if you have issues. I waited too long to get an ulnar nerve issue taken care of and now I have some permanent strength loss in my left hand. This might not translate to CT, but why screw around with it. The surgery is relatively quick and painless.

Pete
    Pete Braccio

"The Rules: Play nice and don't run with scissors"
    http://www.braccio.me
    Check out my web site for:
    Jack Tottle music files
    BBC Virtual Session files
    O'Neill's PDFs
    ITM Tunebooks, and more

I also waited too long to have surgery on my left hand and it resulted in a permanent loss of muscle and strength in that hand. There was a 6 week recovery before I could play mandolin or guitar. I spent some time practicing my tremolo with my right hand but that was boring after a short while.