Thread: J. Bovier A5 vs. Eastman MD 615

Default J. Bovier A5 vs. Eastman MD 615

I have the fortunate problem of needing to choose between these 2 mandolins. I haven't played either. Both are being sold at the same price $600.00. The J. Bovier has a CA bridge upgrade. I know I need to play them both but the timing of that is going to be tricky so I'm trying to get as much input beforehand to help me in the decision. Any experience with either instrument will be helpful.

Thanks

Default Re: J. Bovier A5 vs. Eastman MD 615

I would go with the Eastman 615 unless there was some sort of issue with it. It is a more valuable mandolin (by almost double I believe) and in this case also the better instrument.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

You've got to play the Bovier before you buy. I've seen them all over the place in tone and volume. Just not too consistant. Can't speak to the Eastman, I've only seen one F-style, but it was pretty good.
    What The ....

I agree that you need to play both. I have a J. Bovier and Iam very happy with it. I don't know about being worth double. My Dorado lists at $1700.00 Which seems to be around the same list price for the Eastman. The one thing I like is that if I have a question about the mando I can shoot a quick "hey hows it going" to Jeff Cowherd. Jeff is the guy that designs and has these mando's made. It comes down to playability and sound. If you like it buy it.
    To play or not to play? Well that's a silly question.

2009 J.Bovier F5 Dorado
    2012 Eastwood Mandocaster
    2013 J.Bovier A5 (prototype)
    1984 K.Yairi AR352
    1980 Ovation Custom Ballader
    2012 Martin HD28

Hi Jake,

I believe your Dorado is one of the highest models. Your mandolin lists for more than the Eastman.

The J. Bovier A5 lists for $779. Not that it is a bad mandolin, but the Eastman at $600 would be the better value in my opinion.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger