Thread: A-5 vs A

Default A-5 vs A

Is there much of a sound difference between a regular "a" style Mandolin(with oval sound holes) and an a-5 style mando(with F holes)?

Default Re: A-5 vs A

Yep. Are there no instruments around for you to sample? It would a great benefit to you to get up close and personal with an axe.

That certainly makes sense...I was just starting out bye getting peoples opinions, but now that I have those I can start doing some hands on.

Blog Entries

Mike stated the truth. Nothing like your ears and hands.

They sound different to both audience and player. Worth having both played to you, as F hole instruments often sound different to listener than the player may think (project out/directional).

A5's have the neck/body at fret 15, quite a few ovals meet at fret 12. Worth trying all kinds.
    Collings MT2
    Breedlove OF
    Ellie eMando
    Schmergl Devastator

If you are talking about the std Gibson style A oval with transverse bracing vs. A-5 there is a big difference. The A-5 should sound closer to an F-5 with the longer neck making the bridge placement more toward the center of the body and usually different kind of bracing. As Mike noted, there is really no substitution for direct experience.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

In general oval hole mandolins have a deeper sound with more resonance and sustain. The f hole is clearer with more projection and definition.
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

Absolutely! I have both and different animals! But------------you need to go somewhere and play both and decide yourself.

many say F holes project, outward, Oval have a wider dispersion, cone.
    somewhat more audible to the player holding and playing it.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

The sound of a good round hole mando is rich and full -- the high notes sparkle and the low notes hang in the air. GREAT for slow songs and for chords and for some fast songs too! Sometimes, though, the low notes sustain/ hang in the air for a little too long in some kinds of music, and the sustaining low note clashes with some of the following notes. Also, the sustaining lower notes can blend in with the guitar, which can be a good thing in folk music but sometimes not so great in some kinds of jazz and bluegrass.

F hole mandos do not usually have as much of a ringing sustain in the low notes -- the can still be made to have quite a bit of low, ringing sustain, but for some kinds of music, some kinds of modern jazz and some bluegrass, the F hole mandolin can sound a little "cleaner" without so much blending in of other notes. The F hole will give that famous "percussive bluegrass chop" for rhythm (without too much sustain) better than Round Hole mandolins, although I have actually seen/ hear Round Hole mandolins do a "sort of-pretty good" job even on the chop.

You can "clean up" the sound of a Round Hole mandolin somewhat with certain strings, certain picks, certain techniques, though in general there is a distinct difference in sound between the two types of mandolins.

Furthermore, when you play them yourself, the round hole might sound loud because of where you are in relation to the sound hole, although for someone standing ten feet in front of you, the f-hole might sound louder. Besides playing them yourself -- a great idea -- it might be good to have someone play each of those styles standing in front of you. Also, keep in mind that if they are cheap mandolins, or not set up well, that will very, very much affect what you hear!

broad generalization, on toast, with coffee , please
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Man all these oval vs f threads make me really want to buy another mandolin. Mines an A5 and has a beautiful tone but I'd love a round hole mando for the many hours just sitting in my living room.

Very broad, I agree. My point was that there are many variables. ESPECIALLY technique, strings, picks, and set up being among the most important! And bridge placement on a longer neck. And the room, especially the walls!

Many F-hole mandos sound very different from other F-hole mandos and most definitely, many Round Hole mandos sound very different from other Round Hole mandos. A modern, flat back, "pancake" round hole will often sound snappier than my "bestest sound in the world for moderate picking 1917 Gibson A-1". Those old Gibson A's remain a good bargain....

Also, our ears are different -- older males lose some of their high end hearing and jack the treble up sometimes, which is why my wife turns the treble down on the music system when she comes into the room....and which is why so many comments about "how a particular instrument sounds" have to be taken with a grain of salt on the toast.....

Sure, there are so many variables. But "all things being equal", there is a difference in "sound" between a round hole mando and an f-hole mando, just as there are differences between round hole guitars and f-hole guitars. Mainly, though, in the best case, you gotta play and stand in front of, the particular instrument you are interested in.

A little almond butter and honey on the toast would suit me fine.......

Variations among individual instruments can be so significant, that they override generalized rubrics of "what sounds like what." Given that caution, above posts pretty much express the consensus.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Florids Cracker, I once thought that I would like to own both an oval hole and an FF hole mandolin, and I bought an oval hole one, since I love and play bluegrass the oval hole did not suit what I wanted so away it went...There are exceptions to that because Jimmy Martins music had an oval hole mandolin on most of his recordings as well as Red Rector and Ira Louvin but the one I had just didn`t thrill me, and there are not many oval holes that sound as good as Jimmy`s or Ira Louvin`s F-4`s

But sound varies and is what the listener prefers and not just what I like...

Willie

Thanks Willie...