Thread: Anywhere to play new Gibsons in NYC?

Default Anywhere to play new Gibsons in NYC?

Not that I'm in the market, but all this talk makes me curious. Mandolin bros does not appear to have any new Gibbys. Anybody else know a store that might? Going to be there next week on vacation.

Default Re: Anywhere to play new Gibsons in NYC?

You have to go to Mandolin Brothers, whether they have new ones or not. Your mind will be boggled,

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Josh,

This thread is 3 y/o, but might help you: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...NYC-Washington
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Thanks Fellas. Will definitely check out Mando Bros. Will they let a noob like me play a Loar? Got a lesson with Andy Statman lined up too. Should be a good trip.

I think I've seen new Gibsons being sold by a music store that is out on Long Island somewhere, but I don't remember the name..

Managed to get my hands on a 2014 F5G at a guitar center in the west village. I guess I set my expectations a little too high with all the talk on the cafe of the new class of Gibsons. Was expecting to play a note and fall in love. In fairness I only got to play it for about 20 minutes and it was in a noisy guitar center, but it did not feel super inspired by it. It had similar qualities to my 2001 flat festival f, more refined not quite as brash, but I was not enamored with it.

Lesson with Statman was great. He's a great player and if your ever in the area I highly recommend it.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JWalterWeatherman View Post
    Lesson with Statman was great. He's a great player and if your ever in the area I highly recommend it.
    So jealous, although I'm not certain I'd have the courage to play across from Statman. Which mandolin did you bring to the lesson? And out of curiosity, which mandolin did he play?
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

I brought my flat because it is lacquered figured it would have the least challenges with travel from coast to coast, changes of humidity, etc. he played his Kimble 2 point which sounded great. This is my 2nd lesson for him, he is very welcoming, so I wasn't as star struck this time around.

Re the 2014 5FG , I was just wondering, how was the Guitar Center set up. The GC in my hometown only carries cheapo mandos and the set ups are consistently horrible.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

This is a good point. Setup was definitely less than optimal. Action was high, could have been other issues. Also playing any mandolin for 20 minutes in a music store can be less than revelatory.