Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Doublestops again

Blog Entries

Default Re: Doublestops again

Lets not get polarized. It is not one or the other.

The limitation, I think, with the physics theory and practice analogy, is that the end goal in science is understanding, i.e. to have a better more accurate more predictive theory. In music, we seek to play. The theory is a necessary component, to varying degrees for different kinds of learners, but the self exploration is also a huge part of it. The goal is to do it well and know what we are doing (and why it is "well".)

We want, I think, to acquire a musical intuition, where we can do what feels right, and also because we have done our homework, know that what feels right is over here, not over there.

My only point was that since I only use a handful of double stops, its much easier for me, in the heat of the moment, to run through them and see what works, than it is to do the trigonometry every time to figure out what to do next.

My plan is to use the theory at practice time, to develop my tool box and to organize it so I can get what I need without panick. I just don't think fast enough to use theory while jamming.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Robertson-Tessi View Post
    No, it's not a scientific theory, but it is a philosophical theory, the observation and contemplation of a practice. But, propose different name, and we can start using it!

Cheers
    MRT
    I take a stab at the Greek word "logos" and it's usage in words meaning "to talk about ...".
    That would then make it - Musicology?
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    ...since I only use a handful of double stops, its much easier for me, in the heat of the moment, to run through them and see what works, than it is to do the trigonometry every time to figure out what to do next.
    That is what I also do most of the time. There is a slowly growing repository for fast access.

I just don't think fast enough to use theory while jamming.
    Yeah, procedural memory is not really cut out for thinking, but it is doing the playing at runtime. Thinking is for design time only.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

One of my fav guitarists did an album called surfin' with the alien. he explained that that meant, it is the point when you take what you know and let the alien inside take over and play. while odd sounding, it makes sense to me. you have to learn, but ya gotta let go sometime and just play

My only point was that since I only use a handful of double stops, its much easier for me, in the heat of the moment, to run through them and see what works, than it is to do the trigonometry every time to figure out what to do next.

My plan is to use the theory at practice time, to develop my tool box and to organize it so I can get what I need without panick. I just don't think fast enough to use theory while jamming.
    This is well said, and demonstrates using a variety of approaches (trial and error and musicology) during practice time to solidify what will be used subconsciously while playing music.

Cheers
    MRT
    Altman F5
    - Website
    - YouTube videos

Well it’s not ‘theory’ in the sense a research scientist would recognise the word ‘theory’. But it’s ‘theory’ as opposed to ‘practice’ which is the actual playing.

There was a famous American philosopher – I suppose he was some kind of mystic, because his name was Yogi Berra. He once defined the difference between Theory and Practice thus:

“In Theory, there’s no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is.” - Which is as profound an encapsulation as ever I’ve heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Thomas View Post
    Well it’s not ‘theory’ in the sense a research scientist would recognise the word ‘theory’. But it’s ‘theory’ as opposed to ‘practice’ which is the actual playing.

There was a famous American philosopher – I suppose he was some kind of mystic, because his name was Yogi Berra. He once defined the difference between Theory and Practice thus:

“In Theory, there’s no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is.” - Which is as profound an encapsulation as ever I’ve heard.
    Your 2 cents ain't worth a nickle anymore.
    I have the world in a jug, and the stopper in my hand.