Thread: Loar vs Kentucky

Default Loar vs Kentucky

Loar 220 vs Kentucky 250....any suggestions?

Default Re: Loar vs Kentucky

Want a chunkier neck with a flat fretboard or a slimmer rounded "V" with a radius board?
    Gunga......Gunga.....Gu-Lunga

chunkier neck with a flat fretboard

Loar.
    Gunga......Gunga.....Gu-Lunga

How about sound Quality between the two?

Play some.

The Mandolin Store web site has sound clips of both mandolins. Check it out.
    -Robert T. -

As a happy The Loar owner, I'll say that I'd personally rather have a comparable Kentucky with a radius. Both are pretty popular and sell very well.

Kentucky's I have played have more of that traditional Gibby sound. The Loars I have played have more of a modern sound. Not exactly similar but like comparing my Stanley (Loar type, not to be confused with "The Loar") and my Ellis. Both great sounds but different.

Quote Originally Posted by red7flag View Post
    Kentucky's I have played have more of that traditional Gibby sound. The Loars I have played have more of a modern sound. Not exactly similar but like comparing my Stanley (Loar type, not to be confused with "The Loar") and my Ellis. Both great sounds but different.
    Yeaaahhhh, the Kentucky vs. Loar comparison is very, very similar to the Ellis vs. Stanley comparison........

What you talkin' about Willis???!?!?!!?
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400
    1988 Jeff Traugott Acoustic #4
    2012 Eastman 905 Archtop Guitar, BLOND!

Remember to grin while you pick, it throws folks off!

Blog Entries

Both are reputable instruments. In either case you are going to wish you had chosen the other. Get one and get playing.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Loar vs. Kentucky...?

Pardon my ignorance, I didn't realize that Loar was in the final four...? Besides, hasn't March Madness been over for a couple of weeks now?

With these low end models you could throw in a few more in the mix and still come out the same. If you get either one you will wish you had saved and got a better grade model like the KM900 or KM1000 or Loar 600 or 700. These low end models are best bought hands on in person but it's highly likely they will not be set up properly even if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    ...t it's highly likely they will not be set up properly even if you do.
    Whats the problem with the setup? I bought a Loar 520. After adjusting the bridge intonation is perfect and string hight at 12. fret is ~1,5 mm for G and ~1,3 mm for e. In 1st fret i have a litte stringbuzz on G and D strings when i strum hard. Maybe i raise the bridge a litte. But I'm new to Mandolin and setting it up cost me something like one hour spread over two days because of the new strings.
    "I got nasty habits, I take tea at three."

2012 The Loar LM-520-VS | old bowlback Mandolin
    2012 Gibson Les Paul Trad. Pro | 2011 Epiphone Sheraton II | 2011 Gibson Les Paul Studio | 2010 Yamaha FJX720 | 2005 Gibson Les Paul Special
    Vox VT40+ | Boss Micro BR80

Quote Originally Posted by riffhard View Post
    Whats the problem with the setup? I bought a Loar 520. After adjusting the bridge intonation is perfect and string hight at 12. fret is ~1,5 mm for G and ~1,3 mm for e. In 1st fret i have a litte stringbuzz on G and D strings when i strum hard. Maybe i raise the bridge a litte. But I'm new to Mandolin and setting it up cost me something like one hour spread over two days because of the new strings.
    The setup on new Loar mandolins is not consistent from one to another. If you are lucky you can get one that hasn't been setup and will still play ok but most of them will be much more enjoyable to play with a good setup.

Really the only way to tell is buy both and then then GIVE me the one you like the least!
    I was told my mandolin playing was terrible. So, I played my guitar for them and all of the sudden they were happy to hear my mandolin again!

Kentucky KM 505
    Blueridge BR140a
    Martin D-18

Quote Originally Posted by TheMandoShop View Post
    The setup on new Loar mandolins is not consistent from one to another. If you are lucky you can get one that hasn't been setup and will still play ok but most of them will be much more enjoyable to play with a good setup.
    And why not do the setup yourself? That's what i didn't understand. It's not exactly rocket science.
    "I got nasty habits, I take tea at three."

2012 The Loar LM-520-VS | old bowlback Mandolin
    2012 Gibson Les Paul Trad. Pro | 2011 Epiphone Sheraton II | 2011 Gibson Les Paul Studio | 2010 Yamaha FJX720 | 2005 Gibson Les Paul Special
    Vox VT40+ | Boss Micro BR80

Either one of these will be head and shoulders above most of the competition in the same price range. I sell both, and like both. However, both of these (and most all new stringed instruments) will benefit greatly from a good set up. They will be playable as is, some better than others, but all will play and sound better after a good once over. Any good store should do this on any instrument they have, before the sale.

On the lower end of this range, the Loars are hard to beat for the money. The lower end Kentucky's have cheaper rosewood bridges, and are just made way lower quality than the more expensive Kentucky's or the Loars. However, Kentucky has more models to choose from, including an oval hole "A" model, some with very classy art-deco inlays, and different finish options. The Kentucky's seem to vary greatly in construction style from year to year, even mandolins with the same model number, while the Loars are very consistent in looks and sound. From the cheapest Loar to the most expensive, the quality is pretty consistent, you mostly get nicer wood and finish and fancier trim. Sure the higher end Loars sound better than the cheaper ones, but the lowest end ones sound pretty darn good. I have better luck getting Loars pretty soon after I order them, where as Kentucky's are almost always back ordered, I get on a list, and several months later get the mandolin.

Play some, and when you play one you like, buy that one. Forget about who's name is on it, or who might have "the same" mandolin cheaper. Especially in the lower price ranges, there is no such thing as "the same". All will be good, and a few will be great. When you play one that's great to you, that's the one you need to buy.
    bobby burns

My earlier post was comparing what came to my mind when I thought of Kentucky and The Loar: 1000 and 600, their top of the lines. So my comments only relate to those models. Thus, the Stanley and Ellis comparison relates to the tonal qualities of those models. Sorry for the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by red7flag View Post
    My earlier post was comparing what came to my mind when I thought of Kentucky and The Loar: 1000 and 600, their top of the lines. So my comments only relate to those models. Thus, the Stanley and Ellis comparison relates to the tonal qualities of those models. Sorry for the confusion.
    Oh heck, we all knew what you meant and there was no confusion. It was just a really funny, odd, and appley/orangy kind of comparison, however. I could have just read that and not commented, but I ain't that guy! I hope to have a Stanley and Ellis one day, too, so I can comapre them!
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400
    1988 Jeff Traugott Acoustic #4
    2012 Eastman 905 Archtop Guitar, BLOND!

Remember to grin while you pick, it throws folks off!