Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lowering Bridge height on The loar LM600 Mandolin

Default Re: Lowering Bridge height on The loar LM600 Mandolin

It's okay!!!!!

interestingly - it won't allow me to enter all caps...

FloridaCracker - Feisty sort aren't we. As a pilot is a jet driver, a luthier is a instrument mechanic. I'm not looking for a fight but to use the word "Derr" is calling me a f-ing idiot, for the sake of brevity, I can't say as I appreciate it. But then again the word ‘Derr” has NEVER exactly been a term of endearment now has it.

I don't drive a volvo, I drive a Ford and I'm perfectly capable of putting a head gasket on my Harley, but I won't try to fit a new bridge on my mandolin. I have refined the bridge fit on an old one though.

Blog Entries

I've often found it unproductive to get my dander up at something someone I don't know, who's not offering me anything particularly helpful, says. There's no need to either be or feed the Trolls.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I try not to be trollish in nature or tone, having been a long time moderator on another message board it's easy to appreciate your moderating. But a hold over from being deep in the trenches are the scars left that have made me less patient with possible or in some cases probable insults than someone of my age should be. I appreciate that Mando-tele understands his mistake of using caps, he has been more than gracious in his responses, But when someone sticks his finger in my eye on purpose it’s difficult for an old guy like me not to blink with a to the point comeback.

just try setting the 600 up and playing it for a while. I have the stock bridge and this 600 barks now. we had 3 mandolins here 2 days ago jamming and this 600 had the nicest sounding chop. the low end is impressive. my only complaint is the florida/fretboard extension. man I hate that thing. it takes a while playing for them to open up. someday when this thing needs a new bridge, I will grab a ca, but the stock one does an adequate job

I haven't found the need to change out the bridge on my LM-600 either, but I have sanded the feet to give it a better fit. You couldn't see and light under the feet, but when examining them during a string change there were deffinatly obvious contact points to be seen. Can't definately say that it helped the sound, but it certainly didn't hurt which is a good thing all in itself. I keep getting short term eppisodes of MAS, but playing my LM-600 reminds me that there really isn't much to gain with a mandolin I can actually afford. The LM-600 (as is evidently true of the 500 series as well) really is a very decent mandolin.

Excuse me hedgehog but your snarky and presumtuous remark is the reason I felt compelled to say DERR!!! WOW you really are a sensitive lot. And Mod- come on now man, you know damned well I am no troll.

I guess your assumption that I know absolutely nothing caused me to use a word. "derr" in my vocabulary is a jocular referrence to someone stating the obvious. Btw I work in a high-end machine shop and I'm pretty certain my buddy who machines and hand fits $30k fancy rich guy pool cues and myself could probably manage to fit a bridge. <Racist comment removed by Moderator>
    Last edited by Ted Eschliman; Apr-14-2012 at 6:06am. Reason: Forum is no place for Xenophobia

Yes, belated revenge insulting is common on message boards, especially several posts after I felt that Mando-Tele and I came to an understanding about the effect using the cap's key does on internet communication. Use of the cap key is really what that was all about. I know and knew at the time that you laid a little insult at my feet and I chose to respond by acknowledging the insult. I also know that a poster who is somewhat trollish by naturel will now grasp a comeback such as mine as an opportunity to us the same or similar insult on the poster at every opportunity. Admittedly, after moderating or more than 7 years on a far more contentious board than this I posted knowing exactly how the response would be, it's really all so common on the internet. By-the-way, It's also bad form to start questioning the motivation of a moderator. He's simply trying to keep the peace as the board rules stipulate.

Ahhhh yes a slight modification and clarification on skill level. Another common comeback, you may be the very greatest technician in the world, I will not question that for one minute, but with this being a board that works with all levels of technical skill it does a bit of a diservice to write as if the average guy can easily fit a bridge. You very likely can do the job, many of us can fit a bridge, but not all of us. Even with the very best bridge in the world, a poor fit will not improve your mandolin. Yes, that is an obvious statement, but a critical one for someone attempting to fit their bridge.

Might I suggest that a few folks on this thread read more and post less. The answers being posted are basically trolling and honestly, this isn't what this forum is all about. The OP was beat up pretty bad for a small mistake that they apologized for at least twice, maybe three times. No sense in letting this drag on. It's a big Internet, find someplace else to try and pick fights.

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What Mike and Jamie said.