Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lowering Bridge height on The loar LM600 Mandolin

Default Lowering Bridge height on The loar LM600 Mandolin

I know this is a silly question but if want to lower the bass side of the bridge
    which way do I turn the wheel to lower the action ????

Default Re: Lowering Bridge height on The loar LM600 Mandolin

OK I found a Video Lowering is turn wheel right
    raising is turn wheel left

http://www.folkofthewood.com/page2451.htm

There's only two ways to turn it...

Try one way and if it does what you want it to, bingo! If it doesn't, go the other way...

(Hint: it's possible to lower the bridge by turning the thumbwheels, but almost impossible to raise without loosening the tension on the strings somewhat. Use this as a practical guide towards learning something mechanical...)

You should be able to look at the threads and tell which way to turn the thumbwheels.

If you read my second post I ALREADY FOUND HOW TO DO IT MYSELF

But it was fun to see that I'm not the only one who didn't know how....Lol

Congratulations, you figured out how to lower your bridge AND USE THE INTERNET.
    Gunga......Gunga.....Gu-Lunga

Quote Originally Posted by ColdBeerGoCubs View Post
    Congratulations, you figured out how to lower your bridge AND USE THE INTERNET.

I love the use of cap's. If done right it's so passively agressive while keeping the lower forms in our place. Like when I was young and said something I shouldn't have and my grandmother gave me a cold hard slap in the face. While not exactly PC by todays standards I guarentee you that the mistake was never repeated. Note to self, be careful with Mando-Tele he's quick to use the cap key.

I think it's funny that he had to use the internet to figure out up from down.

Sorry guys I didn't think that using the cap's key was rude but after re-reading my post it looked like it to me....sorry

I was trying to bring attention that I already found the answer and at the same time show how its done

Lowering is turn wheel right, raising is turn wheel left

Quote Originally Posted by resophil View Post
    There's only two ways to turn it...

Try one way and if it does what you want it to, bingo! If it doesn't, go the other way...

(Hint: it's possible to lower the bridge by turning the thumbwheels, but almost impossible to raise without loosening the tension on the strings somewhat. Use this as a practical guide towards learning something mechanical...)
    Thanks, I was afraid that if I loosen up the strings the bridge would move forward or backwards and the intonation would be off so I did what you said and the top part of the bridge went down and my action was much better

Blog Entries

You are a prickly snarky bunch, eh? Lets remember to keep it positive, please.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Of course you can only lower a theloar bridge so far, before you figure out you need to start removing wood to achieve a desirable action.
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

Yeah a bit snarky ..... but great comeback from Mr. Mandolin-Tele, that's the true test. The ability to sit back and say , "Wait a minute" to ones self is not common on the internet. The cap key has turned a good conversation in an unintended direction more than several times. Well done sir.

Mr hedgehog good comeback sir
    It's amazing what simple, kind words can do for you... even from someone you don't even know

And snarky would be a great avator name

Okay, now here's a little secret just between you and me .....

When moving the bridge up, you've got to move it slowly down until the strings buzz then move it back up until they stop, here's the secret part, I don't loosen the strings. I have a nicely sized screw driver with the edges smoothed a bit that fits nicely between the bridge base and the moveable bridge top. By wedging the screw driver enough to take most of the string pressure off the adjustment wheels you can adjust up with the strings still at pitch. Yes, the mandolin goes sharp, but not enough to pop your strings. I usually adjust, tune, look for a buzz and adjust again until the magic adjustment where string buzz goes away. .... but you must keep that between you and me.

Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    Okay, now here's a little secret just between you and me .....

When moving the bridge up, you've got to move it slowly down until the strings buzz then move it back up until they stop, here's the secret part, I don't loosen the strings. I have a nicely sized screw driver with the edges smoothed a bit that fits nicely between the bridge base and the moveable bridge top. By wedging the screw driver enough to take most of the string pressure off the adjustment wheels you can adjust up with the strings still at pitch. Yes, the mandolin goes sharp, but not enough to pop your strings. I usually adjust, tune, look for a buzz and adjust again until the magic adjustment where string buzz goes away. .... but you must keep that between you and me.
    Good advice thank you

I have been fairly insulted by some folks on here but in the end most exchanges end in some sort of peaceful resolution ot at least an agrreement to disagree
    I have been messing with the bridge on my Loar 520 since I got it. I finally decided to just buy a CA replacement. Still havent fitted it yet.

Fitting a bridge is not a simple process. It's one of the few things that I would actually go to a mechanic and gladly pay to have done properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin-Tele View Post
    If you read my second post I ALREADY FOUND HOW TO DO IT MYSELF
    Well, Mr. CAPITAL LETTERS indignant Mandolin-Tele, if you'll check the 2nd and 3rd posts in this thread, you'll find that they are 4 minutes apart. I was typing my reply while you were posting, and couldn't have seen your post stating that you had already figured this out... Sheesh!

You got this one coming : http://wiseacre-gardens.com/sound/bugs_imbessil.wav
    Last edited by resophil; Apr-12-2012 at 6:23pm.

Quote Originally Posted by resophil View Post
    Well, Mr. CAPITAL LETTERS indignant Mandolin-Tele, if you'll check the 2nd and 3rd posts in this thread, you'll find that they are 4 minutes apart. I was typing my reply while you were posting, and couldn't have seen your post stating that you had already figured this out... Sheesh!

You got this one coming : http://wiseacre-gardens.com/sound/bugs_imbessil.wav
    Please read post #11 I'm so sorry for the misunderstanding please except my humble apoligy....please read all the posts

this is the first time I have ever had a misunderstanding on a forum I didn't know that capital letters would cause such a problem

my intention was to point out that I found the answer not be rude....again I'm sorry

I know fitting a bridge isnt easy. Derr thats why it isn't on there right now. The luthier is an hour and a half away.

A mechanic would be good for putting a new head gasket in your Volvo, but idk if any mechanic no matter how many ASE certifications he has, would really be any better at fitting a mandolin bridge than myself...

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin-Tele View Post
    ... I'm sorry...
    Spoken as a gentleman! Apology accepted, and topic forgotten.

I am going to put a new cumberland bridge on my The loar LM600 Mandolin when the money is available but right now it sounds pretty good

I've compared it to a bunch of different mandolins....Weber, Breedlove and a few others and this "The Loar" sounded excellent next to them

anyway I can hardly wait till I can get a new cumberland bridge and I'm hoping it will improve all aspects of the mandolin especially the chop sound

again sorry to all for the misunderstanding with the capps