Thread: First "real" Mandolin on its way!

Default First "real" Mandolin on its way!

After three months of learning on a broken Lonestar that the cats smashed . . . a formerly beautiful but poor playing instrument now held together with elmer's and duct tape . . . my first real instrument is now on its way from Elderly.

An "bruised" Eastman 305 . . . http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/MD305CSW.htm

I'm hoping the fixed crack is minor, and trust Elderly's reputation. But really I'm just hoping to play an instrument that does completely kill my fingers (though the callouses came quickly with the Lonestar) and annoy my wife with its tone. I love the look of the Eastman . . . very raw and rustic . . . and am looking forward to hearing it's tone.

Default Re: First "real" Mandolin on its way!

You will hear and feel a noticeable difference, McGruff. It is a good-looking instrument, too. I have a 615, which I like very much, but yours has a better looking flame on the back.

Josh

I played a 305 the other day and so did another dude, a Gilchrist-owner and longtime expensive-mandolin-nut, and we were both happily impressed by it. They're solid and loud and they sound good.

Oh, I assumed this was going to be another Big Muddy thread , carry on...
    >>>===> Dave

Quote Originally Posted by SincereCorgi View Post
    I played a 305 the other day and so did another dude, a Gilchrist-owner and longtime expensive-mandolin-nut, and we were both happily impressed by it. They're solid and loud and they sound good.
    Good to hear. Well, I hope it will be good to hear!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Kaplan View Post
    You will hear and feel a noticeable difference, McGruff. It is a good-looking instrument, too. I have a 615, which I like very much, but yours has a better looking flame on the back.

Josh
    I was debating between the Eastman and the kentucky 150 . . . in the end, the look of the Eastman won the wife over to upgrading the whole instrument with the Eastman.

I don't like the slick, bells and whistles of many mandolins. Give me a simple instrument with a good tone. Hopefully that's what I'll be getting.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Weiss View Post
    Oh, I assumed this was going to be another Big Muddy thread , carry on...
    LOL . . . The Lonestar is an oval hole . . . not a Big Muddy by any means, but I really wanted an F-hole instrument.

I played an Eastman 305 at my favorite local guitar shop (Harry's) a week ago or so and I was very impressed. A modest instrument to look at but it sounded a lot better then most of the mandolins on the wall, including a couple that cost way more. Yours has a nice back for what its worth. I should think you will be happy. Congrats!
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Nice, hope it sounds as good as it looks.
    good luck

I haven't played a 305, but I own an Eastman 515 and an old Kentucky 150, and I'm guessing you made the right choice.

I find Eastmans very easy on the fingers, I'm sure your playing will really take off with this one.

So has it shown up yet? Have you had a chance to try it out? I've been tremendously pleased with mine, fwiw
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Quote Originally Posted by Randi Gormley View Post
    So has it shown up yet? Have you had a chance to try it out? I've been tremendously pleased with mine, fwiw
    Address issues caused a delay in shipping. They are shipping today . . . will post after I get it.

Is it sick that I look at the pictures three or four times a day?
    Last edited by McGruff; Apr-09-2012 at 12:33pm.

Mandolin is supposed to arrive today . . . waiting . . . waiting . . . waiting.

Knowing my luck Fedex will come during the 10 minutes today when no one will be home . . .

Is it sick that I look at the pictures three or four times a day?
    in short...Yes!!!. but I to have the same illness. I lokked at mine("The Loar' LM500VS) several times a day until it finally arrived. Just so you know...there is no cure because it is really just a side effect of MAS
    I was told my mandolin playing was terrible. So, I played my guitar for them and all of the sudden they were happy to hear my mandolin again!

Kentucky KM 505
    Blueridge BR140a
    Martin D-18

Its here . . . but do I really have to wait 2 to 3 hours before taking it out of the box? Really?

Only if the temperature between the outside and the inside is really disparate. Not sure where you are, but it was 68 today out here, pretty much where we keep the house. In that case, I'd open it right up. The wait is to acclimatize the instrument to your house temperature and humidity.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Got it opened up . . . the mando is different from the pictures . . . but that's okay. The crack is fairly long, but well repaired and not visiable from 5+ feet. Needs tuning, but sounds good to my pretty novice ears. I'm looking forward to getting it home to tune it and compare it to the Lonestar.

It is missing the tailpiece cover, which was a surprise. Might have to contact Elderly about that, as the exposed edges cut into the forearm!

Nevermind . . . the tailpiece cover was discovered in the gigbag. Elderly is good . . .