Thread: iPhone recording questions

Default iPhone recording questions

I just got an iPhone 4s and would like to use it as a portable recorder. I'm looking for advice on:

1) app to use for recording software. I would like to be able to overdub harmonies and/or additional parts, so zero latency monitoring would be helpful. There is a thread in the forum with a nice garageband multi-track recording, but I've heard others complain about arguing with the software to try to record more than 8 bars in garage band. Someone else recommended the FiRe app, but I can't figure out if it has zero latency.

2) hardware to make this work. KV connectors has an XLR cable with a booster to get the level up to where the iphone is happy with it, and a headphone jack in the monitoring. Tascam has the izx for around the same money.

Advice on these apps/devices or any others would be appreciated - Thanks!

Default Re: iPhone recording questions

I vote for Garage band. I have it on the iPad and it is really good for knocking off quick arrangements. It is fairly powerful for being so simple. It will record more than 8 bars, it is just a setting.

To me, the beauty of an ipad/iphone recorder is the simplicity, and the fact that you can always have it with you. The internal mic isn't great by any means, but it works well enough to get something tracked. I looked into the external mic/preamp for a while and eventually dropped the idea. At the time there were not a lot of options working with the iPhone 4. I see they have a lot of new gear out though. Might be time to revisit.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Garage Band is great, but if I'm recording one take live I just shoot video on my Iphone.

I'm going to agree on Garage Band. Very easy to use, and the recording quality is good. I don't think you'll find anything better for such a small investment. Only cost $4.00 for the app.
    To play or not to play? Well that's a silly question.

2009 J.Bovier F5 Dorado
    2012 Eastwood Mandocaster
    2013 J.Bovier A5 (prototype)
    1984 K.Yairi AR352
    1980 Ovation Custom Ballader
    2012 Martin HD28

Thanks guys - garage band it is!

I use my Blue Yeti usb mic with GarageBand on my iPad2, it's pretty sweet.
    Here's a song I recorded at practice the other night, no EQ, just a touch of reverb added in GarageBand. Just three of us live, guitar/vocals, me on resomando, and our upright player. (Please excuse the sloppy drunken playing )

Old Hat-Whitewash (Practice)

Blue mic's are awesome. They have a mic coming out called the Mikey Digital that plugs right into the iPhone 4s' proprietary port and I believe it will be a zero latency mic like my Blue Yeti. The Yeti is so nice but I don't know if it's compatible with the iPhone, as it is it's a little finicky with the iPad, I had to get a powered USB hub to plug in between the two because the mic draws too much power than the iPad allows for.
    Last edited by MacStevenXIII; Apr-12-2012 at 7:27am.