Thread: Mary Jane's Last Dance

Default Mary Jane's Last Dance

Hey all, I was lucky enough to sit in with the Square Boys a few weekends ago for a couple songs at the top of their set and thought you'd enjoy our rendition of this Tom Petty favorite. I sat in for 3 other songs too, but unfortunately we were so, um, excited to start playing that the ol' "REC" button didn't get hit until the last song I was on. I'd certainly appreciate any thoughts, glowing reviews or personal critiques so that I can try and improve for next time. The sound quality isn't really excellent, but good enough to enjoy, IMO.

You can check out the opening track here:
    http://ia601204.us.archive.org/19/it...sLastDance.mp3

or the (not so) full set here:
    http://archive.org/details/thesquareboys2012-03-24

thank you and enjoy!
    Paul

Weber Custom Vintage A
    Alvarez A-100
    '82 Fender Bullet (USA)
    '55 Harmony Master Model
    '62 Harmony Tenor Guitar

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Mary Jane's Last Dance

Well, that certainly is another way to do it! My band does this now and then, though we stick closer to the original in tempo and feel, despite being a trio with electric mandolin for lead. I kind of make it my homage to Mike Campbell, a great, probably underrated guitarist - too subtle, and too much of a team player, for his own good. Anyway, it sure sounds like you guys are having a good time. Do they normally do it at this tempo, or was it because you were there with a mandolin so they got into a sort of bluegrass mindset? (I get that myself a lot. It doesn't matter if we haven't played a lick of bluegrass, we'll get requests for it, just because there's a mandolin. Which they probably wouldn't even have known if they hadn't been told. Oh well, they're trying. Very trying. ) I like that you were playing the harmonica part after the first verse - I do that too - though you didn't keep up with that. Since you don't really get a solo, I think you should work on nailing that, and do it after the second verse too. After all, if you're a featured artist, you want to shine in your brief time on stage.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Registered User Rosemary Philips's Avatar

Well, maybe it's not the way journeybear would do it , but I think it's awesome. Thanks for sharing!

Blog Entries

Very cool rendition Paul!
    Loved it, thanks for sharing.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Very enjoyable!!
    dwight in NC

I'm very glad to hear you folks are enjoying this. Hopefully I'll get the chance to play w/ them again soon and can post some more tunes.

Also thanks for your critiques, Journeybear. I agree w/ you that Mike Campbell is a highly underrated rock guitarist. I also like what you said about me playing the different parts more consistently, and I'm gonna work on my soloing so it really stands out when it's my turn next time. The tempo we played was a little quicker than usual, but the Square Boys typically play it with a 2-step "bluegrassy" beat. They do similar interpretations to Poison's "Nothin But a Good Time" and a few other cheesy covers too. I'm not making excuses, but should mention their keyboard player got sick and was absent that night, so there were a few holes to fill in. I encourage you to check out more of their shows on the archive.org because I think you'll like what you hear.
    Paul

Weber Custom Vintage A
    Alvarez A-100
    '82 Fender Bullet (USA)
    '55 Harmony Master Model
    '62 Harmony Tenor Guitar

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

You're welcome, always ready to help. I didn't really mean anything by it, just that if that is all you get to do for lead time on that song, if you get real solid on that part and nail it, people will notice. This is something I've come to appreciate more as my tastes have matured - instrumentalists who can hit their mark, nail their part, then step back so the next player can take his turn. I used to just love guys who could really stretch out and take you places, but somewhere along the line I've learned the value in team playing. Mike Campbell is one of them, for sure, but I think I really got hip to this from Elton John's guitarist Davey Johnstone, of all people, on the Elton John/Billy Joel tour. I mean, I never thought of him much before then, but every lead he took, he came in on time, played real strong, then got out of the way for the next guy. A real pro. Made a lasting impression.

The way they, and you, reworked this old warhorse can indeed work, and be a lot of fun for all. My band does similar things to a few songs, like "Walk This Way," "Ophelia," a few others. People like hearing old favorites, and also get a kick out of them being done in a different way. It's a win-win for sure. I scanned some of the other tracks there, but I was really tired, so I left it for later. Besides, no mandolin!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

The song sounds great Paul!! I have always been torn by my split interest in folk music and, well, most other music, so I love hearing these folk versions of more mainstream songs. And I am definitely a fan of the way you guys went with it!
    I'm not a singer. My mandolin does that for me.