Thread: Neck relief question on new KM630

Default Neck relief question on new KM630

Hi everyone, Im new around here, but have just started a semi-serious relationship w a Kentucky KM630, bought new, and would like to hear the panels ideas about this.

Let me start w saying that I have played bass guitar for allmost 30 years, and the last 5 years have been working parttime as guitar repairman w a small 2-person workshop in western Denmark..

Ok, the problem:
    This KM I bougth had about 8 high points on frets from 1-12, the shop took it in for adjustmnet, and they have now reduced it to 2 high points, should be fixed next time, or I will just do i myself.
    My biggest worry is that the trussrod has no tension on it at all, and the neck has allmost no bow/relief either... I plays sort of ok, (to my beginning hands(, but I nrmally like the action low on my instruments, and wondered if it should be called a faulty neck and returned for good??
    (I dont know what tension strings are on it, but i suspect it is John Pears mediums, since thats what they gave me as extra set of strings... )

And what would a normal low string height be, at 1 and 12. fret, I have searched but not found anything, so maybe the forum could give a few hints...

I hope somebody will give their input , and wish everyone a good evening...

Soren
    Kentucky KM630 with new strings... mods planned
    Fender Precision 62, Lakland BG and assorted basses and instruments

Default Re: Neck relief question on new KM630

Soren, just postin to keep you in the top ten for a little longer. Seems to be a lot going on with your mando's neck for sure. Hopefully a qualified person will be able to give you some good advice and get you playin.

Hello Soren,

The uneven frets are normal if it hasn't been setup. These shouldn't pose any problem (once fixed).

The neck on the other hand, could be an issue. Under full string tension with the truss rod slack, you should be getting some relief. How much relief do you have now? Ideally, you wouldn't want more than .010" (about the width of the E string). If you are not able to get this much relief, I would consider it defective.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Thanks a lot Robert and Rodney... I think i do have that amount of relief, so I will consider it ok... ... thing is, I work on a craneship for 2 week at a time, and I dont have the tools with me, I have the fretrocker and ruler at home, so will get to work on it when I get back.. was just a bit impatient about it, and didnt want to get to attached to the little thing if it had to go back
    Now I just have to decide if i should do the fretjob myself, or let the sellers shop try one more time... hmmm
    Kentucky KM630 with new strings... mods planned
    Fender Precision 62, Lakland BG and assorted basses and instruments