Thread: Sliding double-stops

Default Sliding double-stops

Any ideas as to what makes this more difficult on one instrument than another? On my mandolin it's not so easy to slide from say the double stop string3fret5_string2fret2 to string3fret9_string2fret5, but on my mandola, it's much easier. Any suggestions as to why this might be. Material of fretboard? Strings, Fret height? Fret wear? Action?

Wondering if anyone has improved their mandolin in this regard in the past and if so, how.

Thanks,

Kenny

Blog Entries

Default Re: Sliding double-stops

I think you're referring to the 2-5 to the 5-9 "G" doublestop right? I don't find it hard at all but that's after quite a bit of practice. Seems like in order to answer this question we would have to play both your mandolin and your mandola with your fingers.
    Breedlove Quartz FF with K&K Twin - Weber Big Horn - Fender FM62SCE
    Wall Hangers - 1970's Stella A and 60's Kay Kraft

Whether you slow your roll or mash on it, enjoy the ride.

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

String height
    String tension

Lower action and lower tension make it easier. The longer scale length and different string gauges on the mandola may = less string tension. Perhaps the action is also slightly lower than your mandolin?

The other factors are the player: Not enough finger strength (at one end), or excessive finger pressure mashing the strings into the fret (at the other extreme). Practice practice practice

It might also be your string spacing- your mandola may have a wider nut/fretboard, making it easier for your fingers to do their job without getting smooshed.

Blog Entries

Maybe instead of everyone just guessing about the most common problems, you might post pictures of the two?
    Breedlove Quartz FF with K&K Twin - Weber Big Horn - Fender FM62SCE
    Wall Hangers - 1970's Stella A and 60's Kay Kraft

Whether you slow your roll or mash on it, enjoy the ride.

Thanks for the replies. In looking at both instruments, I think the string tension is lower on the mandola, so that may well be what it is. Yep, I guess practice is the answer to most questions.

Kenny

Distressed Model John Ritchhart's Avatar

What Mandocrucian said. He's an instructor of mine and knows of what he speaks. A Heiden with flatwounds is gonna feel and play a lot different than a Kay with J75's on it.
    We few, we happy few.

Three things make it more or less difficult. Practice, Practice, Posture. You just gotta practice it. But I find that having a stable grab on your mando so that you can move you left hand freely helps a great deal. If you don't have good posture, it will be near impossible.

When I first got my octave the frets were like speed bumps. After playing it about a month I took it to a luthier for a proper set up. The first thing he commented on when trying it out was the high action (expected), then he suggested rounding (not lowering) the frets a bit. It made a huge difference for sliding. Now thinking I'll take him my mandolin for the same treatment.