Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flatwound or regular strings for restring?

Default Flatwound or regular strings for restring?

I need new strings(using D'addario j73's atm), and i recently discovered the flatwound strings. I think i want to give these a shot. I prefer classical style sound with my mandolin, and i know different strings seem to help the sound you want to produce. Thoughts and suggestions? I'm a VERY new player, if that matters. Id like to use online stores to buy strings too, amazon a good bet?

Thank you as usual for all your wonderful help!

Also, i just read that silver plated copper is best for classical? I'm so green.
    Last edited by Mike_the_limitless; Jan-20-2017 at 2:34pm.

Default Re: Flatwound or regular strings for restring?

I have used flatwounds for over two decades and think that they are great, especially for a classical style sound.

I love flatwound strings.
    D'addario EFW74 are my strings of choice.
    Buy them here for 1/2 as much as anywhere else, and free shipping right now:
    http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/dmaflme11fw.html

4. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

I have been using flatwound strings (for bluegrass) for 20 years. If you favor classical playing you might want to eventually use Thomastik. They are much more suited to that tone. They are a wonderful set of strings that are silky smooth under the fingers and silky smooth in tone.

However, they are quite expensive. If you love them and buy them, they are still a bargain in my opinion, because they last for a very long time. I used them for a several years and usually got between 11 to 13 months out of them.

For your first try at flatwound strings, you should consider the D'Addario flatwound set. They're much cheaper and will give you a general idea of the sound and whether or not you will like them. I have been using them since that came out and love them.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

I used Thomastik Starks for a while, and absolutely loved the feel of them under my fingers. The tone was pleasant, although not well suited to bluegrass or cutting through in a jam. But if you like the classical sound, these are really the cat's meow. They're not cheap, but they're worth it.

I had also tried D'Addario flatwounds many moons ago, and was less than impressed. If I were going to make the switch back to flat wound strings, I'd just "go for the gold" and go straight to Thomastiks.

Just in case you don't know, there is a difference between "flat wound" and "flat top" strings. The former is wound with a flat winding, while the latter is wound with a round winding and then put in some sort of grinder that shaves the exterior down to flat. I had tried the flat tops once, and did not like the feel of them at all. They would catch on the rough parts of my calluses, where the sharp edges between the windings had tiny burrs. So don't go buying flat tops thinking that they are true flat wounds.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    I love flatwound strings.
    D'addario EFW74 are my strings of choice.
    Buy them here for 1/2 as much as anywhere else, and free shipping right now:
    http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/dmaflme11fw.html
    Is there any reason you would pick medium over light strings here? And thank you so much for the link, online is the way to go. No musician shop around my place had the flatwound.

I'd heard Thomastik strings were the best, though i didnt know they were great for classical. I dont mind the price, though im new, so i dono if its worth buying hte best just for me to ruin them. = )
    In any case, i WILL be buying Thomastik when im a little less green.

Does Thomastik make the flatwound strings?
    Thoughts on light, medium, heavy strings, and do i need to concern myself with string tension?

Thomastik is mainly known for violin strings, and their mandolin strings are very similar to violin strings. Flat winding, cut exactly to length (no trimming required), with a sticky end that wraps around the tuning post.

Their gauges are much lighter than "normal" mandolin strings. As I recall, the Starks (heavies) are more like medium mandolin strings from other brands.

Yes, Thomastik makes the flatwounds. I have them on my electric bass ($70)and love them! They will never need to be changed in my lifetime. I recently put them on my Flatiron Performer. For your use they will be perfect. They have a good tone and are smooth as a baby's butt. They will save your frets. But you will lose some volume, but if your miked or amped, that's not a problem. I went with the Heavy. Thomastik have less tension so you may have to adjust the truss rod and/or the saddle if you have or like a low action. I know I had to.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_the_limitless View Post
    Is there any reason you would pick medium over light strings here? And thank you so much for the link, online is the way to go. No musician shop around my place had the flatwound.
    Light strings are generally used on bowl-back mandolins. Medium will give you a more consistent tone, and will also be a bit louder. Though you didn't say what mandolin you are playing, so I guess I just assumed that you had an arch-top mandolin. If you have a bowl-back, you likely will need to stick with light, or even ultra-light. If you have an arch-top, it'll likely benefit from medium strings. It will be slightly harder to fret medium strings for you at first, but your fingers will get used to the increased tension. Likely you will have better intonation with medium strings, as long as your mandolin setup is good.
    Of course, string type is a subjective preference, so you may try mediums for a while and try lights for a while and see which you like best.
    In my opinion, trying different strings are the easiest and cheapest way to hear all of the sounds that your mandolin is capable of. Different strings will make a much bigger difference to the sound than other items like a new bridge or tailpiece or tuning machines, etc.
    For $10 a set, I like the D'Addario EFW74. I did play the Thomastic strings for a while, but I prefer the cheaper D'Addario.

I have this mandolin http://www.mandolinhut.com/kentucky_...72__mando.html

Thank you for the info on strings, i knew bowlback required more care for the neck, makes sense about the tension. I DIDNT know you typically go medium though, i'm using light right now. Thank you all so much for all this information!!!

I have this mandolin http://www.mandolinhut.com/kentucky_...72__mando.html

Thank you for the info on strings, i knew bowlback required more care for the neck, makes sense about the tension. I DIDNT know you typically go medium though, i'm using light right now. Thank you all so much for all this information!!!
    That will certainly be able to handle medium or even heavy strings. Experiment and see what sounds best to you. You might need some setup tweaks if you change strings dramatically. Let us know how it goes and feel free to ask more questions. Enjoy!

Honestly, just go straight to the heavy set (Stark). The string tension on the heavy set is lighter than a medium set of bronze round wound strings. Don't know if anyone mentioned this or not but Thomastik strings have a wound A string. Some people have had issues with the A breaking, but I have always felt as though that was the lighter sets that did that. The lighter sets have a very thin core on the A strings. I used Thomastik heavy for around 10 years and never broke one. I always used the heavy set.
    Also, I used them on several different mandolins and never had to set up anything different. In fact, I always had nearly perfect intonation when using them.

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Also, i just read that silver plated copper is best for classical? I'm so green.
    If that plating wears off, your fingertips may become literally green

I had steel flatwound strings on my electric mandolin and liked the feel so much that I put them on my two acoustic mandolins too.
    The sound isn't as bright as brass or bronze, but I like it. The silky smooth surface is a pleasure to play on. I didn't go the Thomastic route, but used D'addario if I recall right. I'd give a set of less expensive flat wound strings a try for sure.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

I found this, seems suspect for the price of these silver strings. Five sets for $11? I know nothing of Alice strings, and the guy at the music store had never heard of them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A3MEAY70B2JL9J

I found this, seems suspect for the price of these silver strings. Five sets for $11? I know nothing of Alice strings, and the guy at the music store had never heard of them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A3MEAY70B2JL9J
    Don't waste your money on strings that no one has ever heard of.
    If you want flatwound strings, the best price you're going to find is the d'Addario EFW74 from Strings and Beyond that I linked to above.

Another real fan of Thomastics here. I use them on my mandolins and my OM. They last many times longer than other strings and that more than offsets the initial higher outlay.

On your mandolin, I'd go with their Starks (heavies).

Best wishes,

Bob
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    Don't waste your money on strings that no one has ever heard of.
    If you want flatwound strings, the best price you're going to find is the d'Addario EFW74 from Strings and Beyond that I linked to above.
    Good advice. These Alice strings come from the other side of the globe and haven't been around for long, D'Addario is close by with a good reputation and they even post here and follow threads here at the forum. Thomastik's are more expensive, but again, stellar reputation.

http://www.china-alice.com/about/Fro...lumnId=57.html
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Suggestions on which silver coated copper strings to buy? Just D'Addario?

Blog Entries

I rarely use the lighter strings. I use ultra lights on 100 year old bowlbacks, but everything else is medium or heavier. On a standard mandolin with good structural integrity I would start with mediums.

I have a friend who plays a good Kentucky I forget the model. He strings it with EJ73s and it sounds a little tame. I told him that there would be more tone and volume with 74s. His response is that he wants to be able to play fast. Every other concern, apparently, is secondary. I mentioned the volume and he said "I can always get a microphone".

So it comes down to that balance between tone, volume, and feel. My feeling is to start with J74 (or equivalent) and move around from there. And unless the instrument is compromised, I have no concern with needing lighter strings. If one values speed and feel a bit more than tone and volume, that is a personal preference.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

I have Thomastic flat wound mediums on my L&H. It gives me a very classical sound. The instrument, with those strings, almost sounds like a bowl back.

They also wear like iron.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

23. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

After following this thread I thought I should try a set of EFW74's on my Morris hybrid F4. I just got a Cricketfiddle F5 mando that has a great bluegrass sound, with the idea that the F4 would be more for jazz and classical. The flatwound's just came in the mail today. I've got to say I really like the way they sound.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandobart For This Useful Post:

I use the EFW-74's on my 1916 F-4 and they sound remarkably similar to the T-I mittels I used in the past and at 1/3 the price, I am a very happy camper. They are well suited to classical and jazz musical styles.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Shoot .... try em' all. It's part of the fun. Give Curt Mangan brand a try out too. I sure like them. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Also there is the FT, a round winding is ground flat , its a bronze winding.. the A is wound too..

though the core wire for the A is quite thin, so substituting a plain steel A may be in order..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture