Thread: Advice for my Blues Mandolin Edition

Default Advice for my Blues Mandolin Edition

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Idea 1 Fretboard Toolbox (Blues Mando C Major).pdf 
Views:	468 
Size:	114.6 KB 
ID:	84616Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Idea 2 Fretboard Toolbox (Blues Mando C Major).pdf 
Views:	281 
Size:	115.0 KB 
ID:	84617

Hello everyone,

If you're a fan of the blues and bluegrass, and you know a bit about theory (like mixing Major and minor pentatonic scales in blues and lots of bluegrass soloing), I could really use some help with which way to go with my Fretboard Toolbox Blues Mandolin Edition. I've come up with two different ways I could go with the book pages, but I'm not sure which one would be more useful. I'm stuck at a crossroads, so any thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated, since I want them to be as useful as possible. (You'd really have to print these off to see what they look like-- they don't render well on my computer screen at least).

Idea 1 (the file on the left): This file shows how I currently have the layout of the fretboard, what I call the "Pentatonic Jig" (the graphic at the bottom of each page) configured:

1. Major pentatonic notes are underlined
    2. minor pentatonic notes are in white boxes
    3. Blues note (flat V) shown with asterisk

The problem with this method, as I see it, is that the VII note is not shown (B in the key of C Major), which people would like to see for lots of bluegrass runs, and it's also needed to make the V chord (G Major- G, B, D notes, in the key of C Major) in any kind of music.

Idea 2 (the file on the right): This file shows a second possibility for the Pentatonic Jig, which includes the VII note, plus a few other alterations:

1. Notes of the complete Major scale are in bold
    2. Notes of the minor pentatonic scale are in white boxes
    3. Notes of the Major pentatonic are underlined
    4. Blues note (flat V) shown with asterisk

The problem with this method, as I see it, is that it make my already complicated reference tool look even more complicated.

Any words of encouragement/discouragement will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for helping me find my way!

Scott
    Scott Sharp
    Fretboard Toolbox Creator, Owner, Accountant, Video Producer,
    Customer Service Rep, Secretary,Web Designer, and so on... :-)
    Lawrence, KS
    Ph: 785-764-2642
    www.fretboard-toolbox.com

Default Re: Advice for my Blues Mandolin Edition

Blimey! That an impressive tool box you've got there, (as the actress said to the bishop!) all credit to you.
    I'm not really sure I could add anything helpful, sadly, - sometimes playing using your ear defies the scientific approach; or perhaps it's just that the scientific approach works for showing the ground rules but to make it truly all encompassing doesn't warrant the detail/work necessary.
    Ultimately you'll end up with 'there are lots of notes, all of them can be used depending on the harmonic device you're shooting for!"
    Sorry I can't be more helpful, but I certainly applaud what you've done so far.
    Cheers,
    Marc
    http://www.youtube.com/marcowoodward

Andy Manson 3 point F5;
    Gibson 1920 F2;
    Vega Guiseppe Pettine Special;
    Weber Abrasoka octave mandolin-
    and various others!

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Default Re: Advice for my Blues Mandolin Edition

I think I prefer version 2. Not really more confusing or busy, but more complete.

That's my opinion. Lots of info collected here. Probably most helpful to the player moderately familiar with theory and able to use the sheet as reference. I think the newbie will be a little overwhelmed by either unless someone is helping point out the practical usage of the info.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”