Thread: Took the Blue Chip leap....I hope I'm convinced....

Question Took the Blue Chip leap....I hope I'm convinced....

Tax returns are dangerous....my Loar is almost here, and now I just spent $35 on a PICK. But the forum raves over these, so I went with a CT55 with a little pouch for it.

So as to make this post an actual question I guess (is that a requirement of posting?) I went with the default right-hand (I'm righthanded) speed bevel. Not even really sure what that is (a slant in the pick edge?) and I have seen posts here that praise it and those that hate it. Thoughts? I have a big worry that as a guitar player my mandolin pick technique is so not ready that I may not even realize any benefit from the Blue Chip yet.
    The Loar LM500
    Trinity College Octave
    Taylor 114ce
    Martin D12X1AE 12-string
    1980 Ovation Grand Balladeer
    Fender Stratocaster
    Piles O' Pennywhistles/Low Whistle

Default Re: Took the Blue Chip leap....I hope I'm convinced....

In my opinion -- and most here will know more about the finer workings of mandolin picking than I -- the BCs are better, and you'll feel it. Whether that difference is worth the difference in price, though, is up to you. I actually ordered one a year or so back, tried it, liked it, but felt that the price difference was NOT justified. Then it ate at me -- I am fortunate enough to be able to afford them, and I wanted the minor advantage that it seemed to give me on both guitar and mandolin. So now I own two. Don't worry; you can send it back for a full refund if you don't like it.

But I bet you will!

Wow, you bought a Loar??

If the op is worried about $35 for a pick - It must be one of them thar chinese ones
    plus I am not sure I would be "waitng" for my loar to arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Budz View Post
    Wow, you bought a Loar??

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I love my CT55 Blue Chip. I guess it's a righty. I've had it over a year and it's all I use. I mean I've had to use the old Dunlop heavy or such, but the CT55 is much better.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

talk to bluechip if you dont like it. mr Goins is excellent with customer service......I wouldnt have bought 5 if they were crap. They are perfect for my style and have all the qualities I look for in a pick. My favorite one is the tp 60 and i like the bevel. If you play a dunlop ultex (just for example) for a little bit, it will wear and you will see where the bevel comes from. Also, Ive played the hell out of mine for over a year and it has almost no wear at all......I would have worn out countless other picks by now. Im a bluechip fan for life.
    CC
    2005 Weber Yellowstone Custom F5
    2007 Weber Honey Tortoise F5
    Griggs Custom Brazillian Rosewood Guitar #12

seasea67@gmail.com

Destroyer of Mandolins

They take them back for a refund, so there's no real risk. Try it, what the heck. I have a friend who uses a $10,000 violin bow, so what's a $35 pick? (He let me try the bow and I still sounded like somebody killing a seagull with a bagpipe, but he likes it so there you go.)
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

I took the Blue Chip leap a few months ago and I am glad I did. It has noticeably improved my overall playing ability and tone. I would gladly pay $35 for these picks. I would pay $100 and still think it's a good deal.

Since you can buy them for $35 and easily sell them for $30 within minutes of advertising, makes them a pretty good deal. And they definitely are all they are cracked up to be. Sounds better, easier to play accurately, durable, easy to grip and stays in place in your hand. Nothing to not like.
    Kentucky KM 140 (Sold)
    Weber-Made The Loar
    Eastwood Mandocaster (Sold)
    Kala SMHC Concert Uke (Sold)
    1910 Gibson A-1
    The Loar LM 700
    Washburn B8K Banjo
    Recording King RA 998-E resonator
    1923 Gibson F-4 with double stamped FON

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Stevens View Post
    Since you can buy them for $35 and easily sell them for $30 within minutes of advertising, makes them a pretty good deal. And they definitely are all they are cracked up to be. Sounds better, easier to play accurately, durable, easy to grip and stays in place in your hand. Nothing to not like.
    Isn't that the truth!! I've sold a couple and each time I received 10-15 responses within one hour of posting. If you do keep it past the 30 day return period, you can easily sell it in no time and make most of your money back. It, for some reason, you don't like the CT-55, you can also exchange it for another model. The CT-55 has a larger bevel than most of the other models and you may find it to be too much for your sound. Personally, I don't like bevels at all and found my favorite Blue Chip was the TAD-60 without a bevel. It had a warmer tone then the beveled version. I think the Blue Chip is the smoothest made pick available.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Stevens View Post
    Matthew Goins is great with customer service, just contact him with your concerns, he will make you happy. I have played tortoise and bought them @ festivals for $50. they wear and are inconsistent, blue chip gives me the qualities i like in tortoise but dont hardly wear and if you want a replacement, they are the same unlike trying to find another custom tortoise.
    dont sweat it, when you have $5k in a mandolin or $50, the pick brings the sound out, it matters. its like a new ferrari with ####ty bald tires......its gonna drive like crap cuz thats what touches the road. the pick touches the string and brings out sound.....
    CC

seasea67@gmail.com

Blog Entries

The speed bevel is merely this:

A TS pick wears with usage. After a while the edge is warn in such a way that it slants one way on the down stroke side of the pick and the other way on the up stroke side. Just naturally happens. Its what many like about an old used TS pick.

Well picks made with these new materials just don't wear with normal play. So you would never get that beveled edge naturally. So with BC and Red Bear and Wegen, they put the edge on at the factory.

Right handed will slant the way a right handed picker typically would wear a natural material pick. Left, left. Also, you will notice (it surprised me at first, but I hadn't had my coffee yet), that when you turn the pick the other side up, the bevel slants are the same, so you don't have to worry about how it is oriented when you pick it up.

Try it, you'll like it. If not you can get most of your money back. And if so, well its a one time cost that will benefit your playing for the rest of your life.

You are right that some love 'em some hate 'em. Its all good. Also, not everyone holds their pick the same way, so for a few folks who hold the pick differently, a left handed bevel makes sense, albeit in their right hand.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I think that with the Blue Chips you cannot go wrong IF: You choose the correct bevel, point, size/shape, thickness that works for you...AND you do not lose it. I have raided my piggy bank for four of them so far.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    The speed bevel is merely this:

A TS pick wears with usage. After a while the edge is warn in such a way that it slants one way on the down stroke side of the pick and the other way on the up stroke side. Just naturally happens. Its what many like about an old used TS pick.

Well picks made with these new materials just don't wear with normal play. So you would never get that beveled edge naturally. So with BC and Red Bear and Wegen, they put the edge on at the factory.

Right handed will slant the way a right handed picker typically would wear a natural material pick. Left, left. Also, you will notice (it surprised me at first, but I hadn't had my coffee yet), that when you turn the pick the other side up, the bevel slants are the same, so you don't have to worry about how it is oriented when you pick it up.

Try it, you'll like it. If not you can get most of your money back. And if so, well its a one time cost that will benefit your playing for the rest of your life.

You are right that some love 'em some hate 'em. Its all good. Also, not everyone holds their pick the same way, so for a few folks who hold the pick differently, a left handed bevel makes sense, albeit in their right hand.

Exactly!! good explanation on the bevel and wear.
    I dont post too much but I will promote a good product with great customer service and Blue chip has done that for me. One time I lost mine and needed one (i was so use to it)for a gig that weekend and Matthew sent it 2 day shipping with no extra cost to me. So I feel the its only right to help him out, plus, it will help the player. Everyone will have different sizes/styles and its hard to pick one when you cant test drive it, they will work with you. Most people that try one can immediately hear and feel the difference, especially when they used cheap plastic ones.
    CC

seasea67@gmail.com

Alden, Minnesota, 12 miles west of where I-90 and I-35 cross in Southern, Minnesota

I think you will like it. I use the same pick on my octave mandolin and it feels and sound really good.
    "Put your hands to the wood
    Touch the music put there by the summer sun and wind
    The rhythms of the rain, locked within the rings
    And let your fingers find The Music in the Wood."
    Joe Grant and Al Parrish (chorus from The Music in the Wood)

Got my BC in the mail, and after just a minute I love it. Still getting used to the thickness of picks used for mandolin, but it feels nice in my hand, and the bevel seems to make tremolo easier. I'm sold.
    The Loar LM500
    Trinity College Octave
    Taylor 114ce
    Martin D12X1AE 12-string
    1980 Ovation Grand Balladeer
    Fender Stratocaster
    Piles O' Pennywhistles/Low Whistle

I got to borrow one from a guy here in Sweden. After 30 seconds, I knew I wanted one and ordered. I have bought three now. Sold a mandolin to a guy recently and the clincher on the deal was that he get the BLUE CHIP PICK WITH IT! He had never tried them and was really crazy about it. I ALWAYS have people try the mandos they are buying with a BC.... I have the CT55 too, but really should try something else for comparison. As a guitarist and mandolinist, I am always on the lookout for the PERFECT capo and the PERFECT pick. I have found the pick, anyway. :-)
    2010 Giacomel J5 #86
    2019 David Šefl custom 2 point
    2008 National RM-1
    1941 National Style 0
    1968 Gibson EM-200