Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boneafone Freakin-A style mandolin build

Default Boneafone Freakin-A style mandolin build

I'm 10 days into a new mandolin build and am spraying the lacquer finish at this point. I thought I'd share my method and thoughts for this design and build scheme. There are many paths a person can take to get from the starting point to their final destination. I'm using what I call the Male Mold method to construct the body and use a simple solid neck/body join.

I have nothing but respect and admiration for the commercial, boutique, and advanced home builders who produce the bling infested high-end museum pieces we see on this and other internet sites. I wish them all well and the greatest success, but we all can't, or don't want, to follow that righteous path.

I consider myself to be a Shade Tree luthier. I get great satisfaction from building unique, excellent sounding stringed instruments on the cheap. Much of the work gets done on the patio of my little slice of single wide heaven. I don't have the luxury of a nice shop with lots of storage. I therefore had to come up with other ways to skin the proverbial cat.

Exotic woods and high-end hardware can be stunning, but they drive up the cost of ownership past the reach of most players. I don't want to own an instrument that will make me cry when I put that first ding in the sound board. Woods and materials available locally can be used, if you know what to look for, and I've found that economy hardware looks and works quite well.

It's easy to make a beautiful portrait of a beautiful girl, but it takes a real artist to produce a beautiful portrait of a butt ugly one.

Day 1

"Plans! Plans! I don't need no stinking plans!!"

I used a straight edge ruler, compass, and french curve to make a half template of the body out of 1/8" MDF. This is used to draw the body frame outline on a piece of 1/4" Baltic Birch plywood. This will become the Male Mold frame. I am not going to explain every step, but will include some pictures that I hope will fill in the gaps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FA01.jpg 
Views:	501 
Size:	194.5 KB 
ID:	82775

Name:	FA02.jpg 
Views:	424 
Size:	173.7 KB 
ID:	82776

I cut the top and bottom rims outside edge at the same time so they will match. I use a spindle sander to true-up the edges. I mark what will remain and remove the rest with a saber saw. a little clean up and sanding and they are ready to be attached with end blocks and stanchions. TiteBond glue, toothpick pegs, and a few clamps are all that is needed.

I need to runs some errands, so will stop here and continue later.

Cheers,

Leroy

Default Re: Boneafone Freakin-A style mandolin build

How do you pronounce "Boneafone"? I'll be one up on my buddies when we discuss your build.

thanks.

...live every minute...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Oliver View Post
    How do you pronounce "Boneafone"? I'll be one up on my buddies when we discuss your build.

thanks.
    Pronounced like bone-ah-phone.

"It ain't got the tone, if it ain't a Boneafone"

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Looks like a promising start.
    Bill

Day 2

Like I said, I don't have my own shop, but I do belong to a woodworking club, so have access to some nice shop power tools. I band sawed and spindle sanded the excess from the blocks and stanchions. This trued up the side of the frame. This is the surface that the curved sides are glued to. I also cut, prepped, and glued together the back and top woods.

Name:	FA03.jpg 
Views:	401 
Size:	136.0 KB 
ID:	82783

I had to add a center strip to the back because I used a set of Peruvian walnut I had prepped for a ukulele build. It needed about 1/2" more width to work, hence the manchinga/bloodwood center strip.

Day 3

I was able to bend and install the two side pieces plus the neck-end piece. I trimmed the sides for the top and bottom. It is now ready for the inverted V graft. I also thickness sanded and rough cut to shape the top and back pieces.

Name:	FA04.jpg 
Views:	452 
Size:	177.4 KB 
ID:	82784

Day 4

Today I was able to install the graft, glue the back on, trim it to size, install the Boneafone logo, remove the temporary top braces, paint the inside, and cut/slot/radius the rosewood fretboard. This photo shows the progress at the end of the day. The carbon fiber flat bar is for the neck. No truss rod in this one.

Name:	FA06.jpg 
Views:	377 
Size:	121.0 KB 
ID:	82785

Name:	FA07.jpg 
Views:	411 
Size:	117.4 KB 
ID:	82786

Best to check and make sure everything fits.

Name:	FA05.jpg 
Views:	390 
Size:	210.6 KB 
ID:	82787

Leroy

Day 5

Today I carved the top, cut the sound hole, bound the sound hole, fit and installed the X bracing. I pretty much follow the method that Peter Coombe uses, except for the finger planes. Works good, but is quite messy.

This picture shows the finished bracing and the CA glue mess from the t-shell hole binding.

Name:	FA08.jpg 
Views:	362 
Size:	168.8 KB 
ID:	82798

This shows the fret board with the dots installed resting on the domed top. This gives some idea of how much arch there is. The Western Red cedar board I made the top from is some of the tightest grained quarter sawn old growth I've ever used. I got it at a local lumber yard.

Name:	FA09.jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	195.6 KB 
ID:	82799

Day 6

Today I installed the top, trimmed the edge, glued up the neck, installed the CF bar, installed gold Evo frets and colored fret markers, inlaid the holly logo in the rosewood headplate, glued the fret board on the neck, and rough cut the Corian nut. Here is a photo showing everything piled together to get some idea of how things will look. A good days work.

Name:	FA10.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	127.8 KB 
ID:	82797

Day 7

Today I route the binding rabbets then bend and install the rosewood bindings.

The back on this instrument is flat and the front is domed. The rabbet route for the back is straight forward and easily done on a router table. The domed top creates a challenge. Instead of buying a specialty attachment for my Dremel tool, I came up with this solution. As long as the edge of the top is flat and even thickness, a small horse collar shaped caul can be attached to the top to allow the rabbet cut to be made with the bench router setup. Double sided tape attaches it to the top.

Name:	FA11.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	82800

Ready to start the cut. The bottom route has been completed.

Name:	FA12.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	82801

Both routes are completed. Not bad at all.

Name:	FA13.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	82802

Day 8

Today I cleaned up the bindings, final sanded the body (recurved the top), and raised the grain with water.

Here are two photos showing the wet body.

Name:	FA14.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	82805

Name:	FA15.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	82807

Leroy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Views:	276 
ID:	82796  

You're a ball of fire, Leroy.
    Looking good.
    Bill

I'l say. That's about 4 months worth of work for me.
    Richard Hutchings

Thanks guys.

To continue on.

Day 9

Today I finished rough cutting the neck, installed the headplate, and prepared it for final shaping.

Name:	FA16.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	82814

I then did the final shaping and fitting. The heel and fretboard had to be form fitted to the body. After this I install a 1/4" piece of allthread, which bolts the neck to the body. After the fit and angle was to my liking, I took it home for the neck install.

Here is a photo of how I attach the neck to the body. I cover the contact area with masking tape. I put the neck into place then carefully cut the tape along the edge of the neck heel and fret board. I remove the tape to expose the wood for gluing. I put tape along all neck and fretboard edges. The tape makes glue cleanup and final sanding a breeze. The adhesive I use is a 5 minute quick cure epoxy. This has good gap filling properties and with the bolt as mechanical backup, makes for an extremely secure join. You have one shot at doing this right, so everything needs to be ready and rehearsed.

The neck jig is an aluminum angle with a simple screw mechanism to pull the neck into the body. It is clamped to the fretboard and is used to line up all neck angles. Another clamp applies downward pressure to assure a tight soundboard fit. There is a mad rush to get the tape off before the epoxy completely hardens. I put the locking nut on hand tight for a few days. I've used this method on dozens of instruments and am very satisfied with the results.

Name:	FA17.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	175.3 KB 
ID:	82815

Day 10

Today I did a final sand out and inspection. Everything looked good, so I started the finish process.

I've tried lots of different finishes looking for that quick, easy, and cheap product. Most work to some degree, but for me nothing compares to a good gloss nitro lacquer finish. This is my least favorite part of instrument building.

I started with 3 coats of vinyl sealer. After 5 hours drying I followed this with 2 coats of rosewood colored water based pore filler. I've never used a pore filler that I liked, but this stuff seems to work OK. Here it is hanging to dry over night.

Name:	FA18.jpg 
Views:	373 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	82816

Name:	FA19.jpg 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	82817

Day 11

I sanded off the excess filler, then sprayed 2 coats of sealer followed by 5 coats of amber tinted lacquer. 3 more rounds (5 coats each) should be enough. This is what it looks like now. I roughed out a bridge to use with a MiSi Trio preamp and under saddle transducer.

Name:	FA20.jpg 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	82818

Name:	FA21.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	82819

Name:	FA22.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	180.3 KB 
ID:	82820

Name:	FA23.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	168.1 KB 
ID:	82821

I'll let the finish cure for 7 to 10 days then sand and polish. Not bad for less than 30 hours labor.

I think I need a nap now.

Cheers,

Leroy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Views:	220 
ID:	82813  

I really like the color of the top. Pretty slick operation you've got there.

Wow, I think I need a nap myself after just reading that. Even though you play your skill down a bit, obviously there is one heck of a lot of craftsmanship in that instrument. I love the look you have achieved Leroy, and I hope you might play a few notes when it's done. Great thread, well done!

Registered User Matt the Mead Maker's Avatar

I'm extremely impressed!
    32° AASR

Leroy,
    I'm a bit confused on one thing. Is the back of this instrument braced? The picture of what looks like the sides and back glued up and painted black inside is what is confusing me.
    Appreciate it.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by billhay4 View Post
    Leroy,
    I'm a bit confused on one thing. Is the back of this instrument braced? The picture of what looks like the sides and back glued up and painted black inside is what is confusing me.
    Appreciate it.
    Bill
    Look at the picture for day 3. The cross bracing (it has top outside written on it) is temporary and is removed after sides and back are installed. Everything else stays and functions as kerfing, side/back bracing, and neck/end blocks.

Here is a picture of a bouzouki I built and finished the interior bright. It's the same idea.

Name:	mm03.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	185.9 KB 
ID:	82847

The reason for interior black paint will become apparent when the build is complete. The Boneafone raised logo should standout something like this.

Name:	teardroptenorukulele11.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	82848

I hope that helps.

Leroy
    Last edited by Leroy; Feb-22-2012 at 1:59pm.

Thanks for addressing my question, Leroy.
    So this is a flat back, arched top instrument. Very interesting methodology. I'd be interested in hearing what the scientists among us might think the effects, if any, of this method would be on the sound. The use of plywood, first, and the design of the bracing, second, come to mind as things that might be looked at.
    What is the thickness of the back? What thickness plywood do you use?
    I'll say this. It makes a nice, neat, and quick construction method. Very good job.
    Bill

I love it, the inside mold is the rim structure and bracing for the back. Post a sound clip when you string it up, I think a few of us would love to hear it.
    Neat job!
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Thanks for addressing my question, Leroy.
    So this is a flat back, arched top instrument. Very interesting methodology. I'd be interested in hearing what the scientists among us might think the effects, if any, of this method would be on the sound. The use of plywood, first, and the design of the bracing, second, come to mind as things that might be looked at.
    What is the thickness of the back? What thickness plywood do you use?
    I'll say this. It makes a nice, neat, and quick construction method. Very good job.
    Bill
    This mandolin is sort of the companion to my Cedar Topped Mandola. There is a sound sample link on the index page. Sorry, I'm not much of a player, but it might give you an idea of the sound. I have high hopes for this mandolin. All tapping feedback indicates good things.

This method of construction makes for a very ridged sound box. This helps the efficiency of the air pump, as less energy is lost vibrating the sides and back. This is certainly true for the larger sized instruments I've built.

This is the finished bouzouki in the above photo and it's a real cannon (or should I say bazooka).

Name:	teardropirishbouzouki05.jpg 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	82853

A few others.

hollow neck lap guitar

Name:	hollownecklapsteelguitar03.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	82854

8 string baritone OM guitar

Name:	stringbaritoneacousticguitar03.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	82855

8 string standard scale guitar

Name:	stringmanchingajumboguitar07.jpg 
Views:	441 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	82856

6 string lap steel guitar

Name:	acoustic6stringlapsteelguitar03.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	82857

OM 6 string guitar

Name:	omcutaway6stringguitar03.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	115.1 KB 
ID:	82858

Dultar

Name:	dultar04.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	82859

Mountain View dulcimer

Name:	mountainviewdulcimer10.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	82860

As you can see, there is really few limits to the shapes or sizes of what can be built. No cavity mold investment needed.

I consider all of these to be rousing successes. I don't see why this little mandolin should not follow in their footsteps.

I think I'm getting loopy from the lacquer fumes!

Leroy

IMHO, there should be more discussion on this forum of the technical aspects of these builds.
    That aside, Leroy has built some very nice looking instruments using an innovative technique and done it pretty darn fast.
    I'm impressed but would like more details. Couldn't hear the sound clip for some reason. I'll try on my Windows machine.
    Bill

I finished my freakin' A mandolin a few weeks ago and have finally got around to taking some pictures and a short video. Here are a few beauty shots. More can be seen on my website plus some construction photos.

Photo album

Forgive the poor attempt at playing and less than stellar audio. Just a small Casio camera.

Video

Name:	freakinamandolin05.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	84903

Name:	freakinamandolin03.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	84905

Name:	freakinamandolin09.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	84904

Name:	freakinamandolin08.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	84906

Cheers!
    Leroy Beal

www.leroybeal.net

Eat it all, use it up, wear it out

Amazing!!!!! Very well photographed,,,, I would think you could do a very interesting instructional book about building using your approach.
    Bart McNeil

Impressive, Leroy... and thanks for sharing your techniques. I think your innovative approach that combines bracing, kerfing and end/neck blocks in one unit is brilliant. I'm no pro, but it seems to me very elegant in its efficiency.
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

Thanks for posting all this, Leroy. I like your approach. Please explain your bridge design. It looks like it derives from Red Henry's work but looks thicker. Also, what is that reddish saddle made of? The compensation on the saddle looks a bit different as well.

------------
    Ah! I finally got that video to load (took awhile -- maybe youtube has lots of traffic today) and you tell us that the saddle is red Corian and the bridge is walnut. I would assume that the bridge is thicker to house the pickup?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Thanks, I developed this method of building so that I could construct almost any size or shape acoustic instrument without the burden of specialty jigs, forms, and tools. The traditional methods make sense if you plan to make many of the same instruments so you can amortize the cost and effort over the whole run. I build to satisfy my curiosity. This method allows me to explore ideas and variations of themes. I follow the KISS method of design and construction. Why use a hand cut dovetail joint, when a butt joint, with modern adhesives, will do! I've built over 25 different instruments using this method. All unique and interesting. It would be very hard to gain that varied experience any other way.

As for a book, I started to write one about a year and a half ago, but thought I needed more instruments to include. It turns out that I'd rather be building than writing about building. In fact I started two books. Here is my first cover mock ups.

Name:	mm.jpg 
Views:	1126 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	84932

Name:	ii.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	84933

AS for the bridge and saddle, I have looked at Red Henry's work and find it very interesting, but this is a variation on a bridge design I've used with other acoustic/electrified instruments. I compared the weight of this bridge and saddle to an adjustable StewMac ebony mandolin bridge and found it to be only 45% heavier. The small volume penalty, because of the extra weight, is more than made up when amplifying the mandolin.

Name:	dultar09.jpg 
Views:	339 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	84934

I used red Corian for the saddle just to be different and because I had some. I filed the standard compensation bevels into it and mounted the bridge about 1 - 2 degrees off perpendicular. Together the intonation is about as good as I can make it.

This was a fun build.

Cheers,
    Leroy Beal

www.leroybeal.net

Very creative approach, Leroy. I'm surprised the big boys haven't weighed in yet. Maybe it's too different from what they do. I suspect some of the manufacturers would be interested in your methods, though, especially guitar and other flat backed instrument makers.
    Personally, I see no point is building a heavier bridge if you can build a lighter. Unless there is a building cost factor. But IF you're building only to amplify, then it's not a big deal as you say.
    My main question is the effect of the body and back bracing system on the sound of the instruments. I like the methodology you use, but would like to see some real tests on your instruments compared to those built traditionally.
    Bill

Very creative approach, Leroy. I'm surprised the big boys haven't weighed in yet. Maybe it's too different from what they do. I suspect some of the manufacturers would be interested in your methods, though, especially guitar and other flat backed instrument makers.
    Personally, I see no point is building a heavier bridge if you can build a lighter. Unless there is a building cost factor. But IF you're building only to amplify, then it's not a big deal as you say.
    My main question is the effect of the body and back bracing system on the sound of the instruments. I like the methodology you use, but would like to see some real tests on your instruments compared to those built traditionally.
    Bill
    I appreciate your comments Bill, but I think you are missing my intention for developing this building method. I wanted to come up with a versatile, easy, and economic way to build pretty much any type of acoustic stringed instrument I desired. I think I have come close to that. I only build one of each design. This works well for prototyping new ideas and designs. I don't care about side by side comparisons with traditionally built instruments. My ears and hands are the judge and jury I care about. I've owned some really nice acoustic guitars (Martin, Gibson, and Ovation) and my guitar's sound quality is as good as any of them. Each sounds different, not better. This holds true for the other types of instruments I've built.

The bridge, as with everything, is a compromise. I needed it to be bulky enough to support the use of an under saddle transducer, but light enough to not suppress the volume and tone. It seems to be a good solution.

This is not a better way to build stringed instruments, just a different way. You should check out my octagonal bodied instruments. Their sound will blow you away.

Companion pair of Irish bouzouki and mandolin.

Name:	buds05.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	189.2 KB 
ID:	84947

If you're not leadin', you're just suckin' in the dust!
    Leroy Beal

www.leroybeal.net