Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Seisun or Session?

Default Re: Seisun or Session?

In Irish (As Gaeilge):
    GAEL = IRISH
    GAEILGE = IRISH LANGUAGE

However, the difference between a dead language and a living language is its ability to maintain relevance and adapt 'modern' words into its vocabulary - computer, email, rocket, automobile, electron etc. - these usually keep most of their form from the mother-tongue in which they were created - or the most commonly spoken tongue in that business-area... We adapt to survive... The French have the Acadamie Francaise to vet new words (I believe they still refuse to use "E-MAIL"), everyone else just goes for it...
    Laissez Les Bontemps Rouler = Ar Aghaidh leis An Craic

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Moore View Post
    especially when they see the terms published by arbiters and defenders of the tradition

Self-appointed of course.
    Of course, and--for the record--I'm not a particular fan of that outfit nor of the pronouncements of some of its more outspoken representatives, but you can see how it can be confusing if you're not lucky enough to live close to the true vine and must depend on remote references.

In any case, I reckon that most of these quirks of usage are usually the result of well-meant efforts. And--by gum--an ITM session, Seisiún, or music gathering by any other name is a really different experience from what goes on at a blues, jazz, or rock session.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

And--by gum--an ITM session, Seisiún, or music gathering by any other name is a really different experience from what goes on at a blues, jazz, or rock session.

Absolutely! And it takes just as long to learn the nuances of unwritten session etiquette as it does to learn the music... actually some never do succeed at the former!

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Moore View Post
    ... the nuances of unwritten session etiquette ...
    As they say - "you cannot avoid to communicate" - whatever we do at a session, play, behave or call it by name, it's all a dead giveaway about what kind of person we are. There's so many chances to make a fool of yourself in a session that the question how to spell the word seems like peanuts in comparison.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world